Final build: Blue Print

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Dewillem

by Dewillem

After some roaming around on websites and getting warranty on my GF-frame (got a 29'er), I finally bought this one.

Cfr.: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15037&highlight= and http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13709&highlight=

As mentioned it's a hardtail with flat carbon chainstays with Marzocchi race from 2005, Avid sl, Extralite levers, xt shifters, cranks and derailleurs (rear is an old one from 1999), 8-speed 11-28 Sram cassette, Ritchey wcs rizer bars, stem, seatpost, grips (all from Ritchey for more uniformity) and Selle Italia SLR saddle. Hub and skewers made by Tune and road tyres are 1.4 Tom Slicks, terrain tyres will be Nobby Nics (front) and Racing Ralphs (rear) (next buy in winter).

Somewhere in August I'll post some detailed (and sharper) pics and a build list. It weighs about 9.3 kg with the road tyres and about 9.6 with the Schwalbe tyres. Only drawback is that the frame is pretty heavy (1700 g), but it has a very agressive geometry and is more than fast enough. I tried to keep it as sober as possible, black with pearl white forks and silver drive drain and accents.

Future possible upgrades: Crankbrothers Cobalt cranks, Schwalbe tyres. The rest of the parts are pretty nice and reliable. Shimano 324 pedals are heavy, I know, but they suit my riding. Commuting to work, bike holidays, mountainbiking and road riding.

Thank you for your comments.
Attachments
Willem.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Nice looking bike.

Why eight speed? I know the cassettes make more sense (11 - 28) but isn't it getting more difficult to get hold of?

Dewillem

by Dewillem

Thanks

The rear derailleur is an old 8-speed xt and is the remaining original part of my previous bike. 6 years ago I changed from grip shift to these shifters and decided to only buy new shifter. Now all is in perfect shape and I only buy a new cassette once in a while. Off course, 9-sp would give more ratios, but this set-up is just fine. Maybe in some future... 11-28 and 22 in front even was enough for mountainbiking uphill in the Vosges in France. So it'll stay as well.

Dewillem

by Dewillem

Ok, maybe some pictures will arouse your interest a bit more.

Meanwhile I've done some 400 road km on it. The bike is very fast, reliable and steers fantastic. Although it doesn't give the same acceleration feeling as my previous Fisher, I can definitely ride it faster (kind of driving 200 an hour in a Porsche or in a Volvo: first one has more speed feeling, but second one is as fast). The Fisher was screaming for more, but this one just gives you more. Maybe due to the carbon chainstays?? Off road testing will be for next weekend.

Pretty proud of this build, actually!

Thank you for your replies
W
Attachments
IMG_3284.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG
IMG_3281.JPG
IMG_3280.JPG
IMG_3279.JPG
IMG_3278.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG