Stronglight Pulsion, Calling All Owners/Mechanics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

I know that there have been several Stronglight threads recently (I've been a part of a couple). What I want to hear is both sides of the story.

Who has had problems like Col. Hicks and mine with the silver cup, or others with breakage?

Who has had success (and by success I mean thousands of miles and have taken the cranks off several times).

I just want to know if it's worth gambling with them again, or if I should look into something else (Campag, Stella A, Storck, etc...).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I had a set on my own personal bike for almost a year, had the best luck with them, of course at 120lbs, I don't have too many problems with lightweight parts.

About the only thing I can say, is that my shop sold alot of them. We have not had any issues with them failing. I have seen pics on the net of some broken ones, but I've seen pics of broken everythings online. The question is what percentage of the total is failing....Perhaps you were the one of the unlucky ones.

As a matter of fact last year we sold alot of carbon Campy, Stronglight, THM, and Zipp. We didn't have any issues with any of them, except for a single set of the Campy Records. So I'd have a hard time not recommending any of these cranks. We've had alot of issues with FSA, but of course there are more carbon FSA's on bikes than all the others, so one would expect more bad ones to turn up.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Do Time ASX cranks have the same problems as Pulsions?

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

I had the pedal thread pull out of the left arm after 50 miles on a set of CT2's. I just think the cranks are too light so I've moved to FSA.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

You read my probelms on the other associated thread but wanted to add I have taken them off maybe 5 times since I bought them. (frame change,regreases) Also, I weigh 175(wish I was closer to the 120 pound Cow :lol: ) Had mine @ 16 months, don't know actual milage. Til now, they have been great but new ones coming soon. :D :D

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

I talked to my LBS who said that he's sold a bunch of Stronglights and he's never seen anything like this happen. It soulds like they're a lot like the AC BB's, they can last forever but every now and again one comes along that's absolute crap. I'll consult my tarot card reader as to what I should do on the replacements. Thanks for the help to all who contributed/will contribute.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Taniwha

by Taniwha

I've had mine set (175mm) for 9 months and have had no issues with them, have racked up about 7000kms on them and had them off the bike 3 times.
Have them matched to a Token Ti BB that's a month older than the cranks, has been out in rain, hail and shine and has been excellent.
I'd thoroughly recommend the combo.
For the record I weigh 84kgs (185 lbs).
In what furnace was thy brain?