tufo tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan

by Dan

So tufo makes those ridiculously light like 120 gram tires, but I've heard they're like paper. What are other tubular tires around the 180-190 gr range that work well? Possibly lighter?

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I have the Tufo lites and I like 'em so far. It's only been a few weeks.
I have a 18 mm in front and a 23 in back. They are light and they are very round. You can mount them with the new tape they have. I also put in thier tire sealant.
I don't know that much about tubulars but some veloflex tubies I put on were not that round.
I'm going to try the continental tubulars next. You might try them.
Now that I've weighed my bike ( 13 3/4 lbs. or 6,237 grams ) I can put heavier tires on and use the Tufo's for spares. The 18 mm one should fold up nice and small. I plan on putting it in my jersey. I don't like putting bags under my seat. I'll try to get a pic of it soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

Popa, stick with the Tufo's they are rounder than the Contis's. Both have to be pumped up hard to feel fast, for poor roads you need the Vittorias, Michelins or Daugests (sp?).

Joel

by Joel

Cyco wrote:Popa, stick with the Tufo's they are rounder than the Contis's. Both have to be pumped up hard to feel fast, for poor roads you need the Vittorias, Michelins or Daugests (sp?).

It's Dugast

by Guest

I use the Tufos on my race wheels and love them. I run a 210 on the back and 160 on front and have not had any problems. They wear worse than other tubulars but I wouldn't call them paper tin. I get about 1000 miles out of the rear. I have used the conti sprinters in the past and they are never round I would not use them on anything except a training wheel. Not sure about the other contis (ie podium etc) but I have heard they are the same. Have also used vittorias but I prefer the Tufo's. Anyone tried the Tufo tubular clinchers?

Francois_viviers@hotmail.

by Francois_viviers@hotmail.

In my experience the best tub for poor roads are Continental competition, they are very resistant to punctures, but quite heavy and roll very slow. Tufo are far better for racing. Their 215grams s3 lite is quite good for road races and the 195 grams are also good but for special occasions, as the rubber compound is very thin and will not last long. This is why conti's go so slow. Lots of rubber compound. Dugast would probably not be good for bad roads due to the fact that they are aimed at being race day tyres and at the price I would probably not even go down to the shops with them

Joel

by Joel

Francois_viviers@hotmail. wrote:In my experience the best tub for poor roads are Continental competition, they are very resistant to punctures, but quite heavy and roll very slow. Tufo are far better for racing. Their 215grams s3 lite is quite good for road races and the 195 grams are also good but for special occasions, as the rubber compound is very thin and will not last long. This is why conti's go so slow. Lots of rubber compound. Dugast would probably not be good for bad roads due to the fact that they are aimed at being race day tyres and at the price I would probably not even go down to the shops with them

When you search you can buy the Dugasts for 55 euro.
They are quite good for poor roads. Museeuw uses them at Paris-Roubaix (26mm)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com