Mayo's fall......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adri

by Adri

For the record, Iban Mayo rode Paris Roubaix once..but he obviously learned nothing from it.
I rode Paris-Roubaix MTB twice and I know how to tackle the cobbles.
Iban did all the wrong things he could possibly do. Like Shiny said, on cobbles, you want to be in the middle of the road, push hard to maintain good speed and at all costs stay away from the sides of the road.

About sprinter wattage: Tom Boonen cranks out 2000 Watts in full sprint, he kept folding his carbon cranks and chainrings (FSA cranks) during the two first sprints, so now they fitted him up with alloy ones (gaining 150g of weight in the process) and during the last sprint he came 4th without his chain dropping.
Auribus teneo lupum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C-40

by C-40

Adri wrote:
About sprinter wattage: Tom Boonen cranks out 2000 Watts in full sprint, he kept folding his carbon cranks and chainrings (FSA cranks) during the two first sprints, so now they fitted him up with alloy ones (gaining 150g of weight in the process) and during the last sprint he came 4th without his chain dropping.

What do you mean FOLDING his cranks???? So carbon cranks MAY have cost him earlier stage victories??

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I'm sure he means bending them. I think Backstedt's Tour diary talked about Boonen having issues with his drivetrain. If he was flexing them, this could be his problem.

Adri

by Adri

C-40 wrote:
Adri wrote:

What do you mean FOLDING his cranks???? So carbon cranks MAY have cost him earlier stage victories??

Yes, I'm sorry ,folding is probably not the right word. He stated (and was backed up by his mechanics on this ) that the chain failed to shift properly and even fell off because the carbon cranks twisted too much laterally in full sprint. Tom is very powerful when accelerating . The twisting effect of the cranks was accentuated by the carbon chainrings (still according to the mechanics - I didn't even know they were using carbon chainrings ) . The chain slipped and he had to hold back on the power. This cost him 2 sprint top-3 finishes (and perhaps even wins)
There was also suspsicion on the frame, which is also a carbon version, but that was not changed. The carbon front chainrings (and/or cranks , depending on what source you read) were changed.
I will try to find some online stuff backing this, because I read it in the local newspapers..

on his website Tom Boonen said about the first sprint:

"De laatste bocht was een catastrofe", reageerde Tom Boonen, tot ieders verbazing onzichtbaar in de massaspurt. "Net toen ik aanging, viel mijn ketting eraf. Ik schoot door mijn pedaal en mijn schoenplaatje kwam scheef te zitten. Ik ging zelfs bijna op mijn bek", legde hij uit.

"The last corner was a catastrophe" said Tom Boonen, who was invisible during the sprint, much to everyone's surprise. '"Just as I was getting away, my chain fell off. I pushed through (my pedal) and my shoe got sideways. I nearly fell off" he further explained..

On the second day :

Reactie:
In de finale deed Tom Boonens ketting weer moeilijk. "Dit blijft toch wel even hangen", zei de Belgische sprinter.
"Een hele wedstrijd was er niks aan de hand", zei Tom Boonen "Ik heb er geen verklaring voor. Alles loopt perfect, ik sloof me kilometers lang uit om een goeie positie te verwerven, riskeer zelfs mijn leven en 200 meter voor het einde gebeurt het. Dat is om dood te vallen."
"Heeft het met mijn lichter frame te maken? (Boonen rijdt met een kader uit carbon, dat minder hard is dan staal of aluminium, nvdr). Ik weet het echt niet. Pfff, dit blijft wel even hangen. Net op het moment dat je denkt "het is gelukt, ik kan sprinten" ontploft het boeltje."
"Ik zeg niet dat ik 100 procent zeker zou hebben gewonnen, maar McEwen was met mij niet klaar geweest. Of hij de snelste is? Neen." Ook Boonens ex-ploegmaat Johan Museeuw stond met zijn mond vol tanden. "Het is eigenaardig, al wil ik de zwarte piet niet doorschuiven naar de monteurs."
"Ik ben ongewild zelfs de schuld van de valpartij op het einde", zei Boonen nog. "Mijn spurt is voorbij en de anderen botsen tegen me aan." En dan toch een mogelijke verklaring: "Moet ik het dan gaan zoeken in het feit dat ik te veel brute kracht in mijn benen heb, zodat mijn kader plooit onder mijn geweld? Ik moet het gaan denken."
Quick-Step-ploegleider Wilfried Peeters: "We zullen vanavond wel eens kijken naar de oorzaak van het probleem. Het is jammer. Eerst trokken we de kaart-Bettini voor de bolletjstrui, dan zetten we alles op Boonen. Tot 200 meter was er geen enkel probleem. Maar door zo'n ongeluk laten we ons niet kennen. Tom baalt, maar we zullen dat eens rustig bespreken."

In short, he/they first suspected the frame, because it was made of carbon, and less stiff than alu or steel frames. Tom states that "Am I too forceful? When I put down the power does the frame bend under all that force? I must think so"
His teamleader then coolly states that "they will look at the problem that evening"

At Sporza.be, this was stated:

De fiets van Tom Boonen is 150 gram zwaarder
di 06/07/04 - De mechanische problemen van Tom Boonen zijn achter de rug. Dat zou toch moeten, want Boonen kreeg ander materiaal.

Twee dagen na elkaar had Tom Boonen brute pech in de massasprint. Telkens sprong zijn ketting weg, waardoor hij zijn kansen in rook zag opgaan. Zijn monteurs bij Quick-Step denken het probleem gevonden te hebben. "We gebruiken voortaan ander materiaal", zegt ploegbaas Patrick Lefevere.

"Tom is een beer van een kerel: 1,92 meter en ruim 80 kilogram. Als hij aan een sprint begint, zet hij enorm veel kracht op de trappers. Blijkbaar kon het materiaal dat niet aan. Nu zullen we een ander kamwiel gebruiken."

Monteur: "Tom zet 2.000 watt op de trapstangen"

Concreet: de trapstangen en de kamwielen zijn niet meer uit carbon, wel uit aluminium. Dat maakt een verschil van 150 gram.

Monteur Jean-Marc Vandenberghe was een beetje kribbig na enkele krantenartikels waarin kritiek doorsijpelde. "Je hebt altijd van die indianenverhalen", zegt Vandenberghe. "Alle renners rijden met dezelfde trapstangen, alleen bij Tom was er een probleem."

"Het grote probleem is dat Tom tijdens een tiental seconden 2.000 watt op die stangen zet telkens als hij aanzet in de sprint. Dat is abnormaal veel. Omdat die stangen zo licht en dus veerkrachtig zijn, beweegt de ketting. Dat zou nu moeten verholpen zijn."

"Ik ga het gewoon vergeten", zei Tom Boonen zelf voor het begin van rit 3. "Ik denk opnieuw alleen aan de sprint. Het is een etappe die me moet liggen en ik ben zeer gemotiveerd. Alessandro Petacchi is niet de godenzoon van een tijdje geleden." En de Belg had ook nog een aforisme in petto: "Als ik niet hard genoeg trap, kan ik niet winnen. Als ik te hard trap, kan ik ook niet winnen." Met zijn nieuwe fiets mag Boonen zo hard trappen als hij wil.

In concrete: Toms cranks and chainrings are no longer made of carbon, this upped the weight of the bike 150g. With his 1m92 and 80kg he cranks out 2000 watts for 10 seconds during a sprint, the material could not stand that in those conditions. The whole team rides with the carbon material, but only Tom had problems with them (and then only in the sprints)

His teams' crank/chainring material btw is FSA
Auribus teneo lupum