KCNC Scandium BB - Sheared off!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onyourleft

by onyourleft

DocRay wrote:
These aluminum axles are like aluminum cassettes: disposable for race-only bikes.

Nearly every ride on my bike is like a race!
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Lo & Behold...the spindle didn't break yesterday. :shock: That was the first real ride on it, and I thrashed it like it was a government mule. 8)

Of course, it could fall apart on my next beer run to the local store. LMAO! :lol: But for now, the Cycling Gawds are cooperating.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I used the token scandium for awhile and then it suddenly broke, exactly like the one pictured in this thread. I wouldn't trust it personally. You don't want to be sprinting with the possibility of your bb snapping running through your mind.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I replaced my scandium with a vcrc carbon/ti with ceramic bearings, http://www.velocarbon.com/bb.html Have about 9000 miles on it and it is still going strong and the ceramic bearings spin almost too good!
Last edited by rbrtwyn on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

rbrtwyn wrote:As I mentioned in a different thread, I replaced my scandium with a vcrc carbon/ti with ceramic bearings, http://www.velocarbon.com/bb.html. Have about 9000 miles on it and it is still going strong and the ceramic bearings spin almost too good!

Had I known about this one, I might have bought it instead. :(

chicane

by chicane

KCNC has replied and said they are going to replace my BB. I will probably just put it on a the shelf and save if for a super light project sometime down the road and use the Token Ti ISIS instead.

Chris

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Divve;

You are right again the design matters!

The Canaondale design is proven to be good. But I still do think the caracteristics of Scandium and Aluminium are not suited for BB spindles in general.

I stll would not take the risk and I will never recommend a Aluminium or Scandium Spindle to a rider.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

ndbike

by ndbike

rbrtwyn wrote:As I mentioned in a different thread, I replaced my scandium with a vcrc carbon/ti with ceramic bearings, http://www.velocarbon.com/bb.html. Have about 9000 miles on it and it is still going strong and the ceramic bearings spin almost too good!

Nice BB, thanks for posting the link. One question though, did you replace the bearings yourself or did it come with the ceramic bearings already installed? On their web page it sounds like you do the upgrade install yourself. If so, does it come apart like an american classic BB (POS by the way) or is it a different system? Thanks!

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

Well, I first bought the vcrc carbon/ti with the stock steel bearings. I got the ceramics seperate a little later and just took it to my shop and they took care of it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

chicane wrote:KCNC has replied and said they are going to replace my BB. I will probably just put it on a the shelf and save if for a super light project sometime down the road and use the Token Ti ISIS instead.

Chris

That's good. :thumbup:

I hope I get the same treatment from Professional Cycling Discount should mine break within the 2-year warranty. From what I've heard about Ernie at PCD, it wouldn't be a problem.