Magnesium clincher wheels spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mike P

by Mike P

Hello all,

I was riding in Tampa, Florida over the weekend, and went on one of the organized rides closeby. Bill Shook from American Classic was there, as well as one of his sales guys. Bill told me AC are working on magnesium clincher rims at the moment, but are still in the testing phase. The other AC guy there had them on his bike... 1207 grams for the pair, 28 front, 32 rear, with DT revo spokes and AC alloy nipples! Crazy! Bill was telling me they believe they can get the wheels to sub 1200gm when they reach production... very cool.

Some photos I took are attached. The wheels look pretty trick and I like the new stickers they have for 2004. The guy's bike they were on tips the scales at 13.1lbs, and that's with the mag clinchers... another weight weenie.

Mike P

dan

by dan

non of the pics came through, try to hook it up again?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Check out my post TOP SECRET WHEEL INFORMATION. Was the guy you were riding with Mike by chance?

Mike P

by Mike P

Here are the link to my pics...

http://www.geocities.com/flbikerguy/Mag1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/flbikerguy/Mag2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/flbikerguy/Mag3.jpg

No, it was not a Mike. I was speaking with Bill Shook. The other AC guy who had the wheels and light bike was Jason. I think he's their web guy, and does sales as well.

Core 22

by Core 22

Unfortunately the links don't work too. Do you know how much they will cost?

Mike P

by Mike P

Try the links a couple more times. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. I have no web storage space of my own, so geocities was it... not too reliable. No idea how much $ for the wheelset. I'm sure AC may be able to answer that.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Mike P wrote:Try the links a couple more times. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. I have no web storage space of my own, so geocities was it... not too reliable.

If you would register, you could easily upload the pictures here. :wink:

nikh

by nikh

On behalf of Mike P
Attachments
Mag1(2).jpg

Superlite

by Superlite

Expect the price to be a little over a thousand.

Core 22

by Core 22

Looks a bit like an Aero wheel. Do you know the rim depth? Would be very light for an aerodynamic wheel set (but I'm afraid it's too expensive for me :cry: ).

Mike P

by Mike P

I do not know where superlite get's his information from, but I just spoke with the folks at AC on the phone today. Projected price for the magnesium clincher wheels will be just under $1000. I want a set :) Projected release date sometime during 2004.

And yeah, I should register so I can post pics...

Thanks for the tip LOL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

From my info, which was about 3 weeks old I found out a price of around 1100, 475 front 625 rear, and as for my inside source I can't reveal, they could be fired. Thanks for the update, looking foward to your pics.