Giant TCR 100 $45,000 ?!?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobalou

by bobalou

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3686564333

I stumbled across this and find it just plain hard to believe. :unbelievable: :shock:

I know they're only making 100 but it's still just a TCR! And half the WW bikes here are probably lighter.

C-40

by C-40

Why would this TCR be worth 9x times its street value??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Seems like a scam...not al the photo's shown are from the same bike....
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

yoko

by yoko

the buyers did that on purpose, jack the price up so that nobody win because they knew that it's a scam. probably a stolen ebay id was used by the scammer.

open the feedback of the seller, two last feeback by the same auction winner, the other item a cannondale six13, won for $50,100.

cadence90

by cadence90

click the "about me" icon next to the "winner's" name....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

bobalou wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686564333

I stumbled across this and find it just plain hard to believe. :unbelievable: :shock:

I know they're only making 100 but it's still just a TCR! And half the WW bikes here are probably lighter.

yah the real price right now is around 12,000

as for the weight thing... haven't you noticed by now? weight has no bearing on price. Look at Pinarellos - cost a whole lot and you pay for it in frame weight too.

TCR's aren't the heaviest frames money can buy...

bobalou

by bobalou

cadence90 wrote:click the "about me" icon next to the "winner's" name....

I should have noticed that! :? Thanks for the clarification, cadence.

ShinyBaldy wrote:
yah the real price right now is around 12,000

as for the weight thing... haven't you noticed by now? weight has no bearing on price. Look at Pinarellos - cost a whole lot and you pay for it in frame weight too.

TCR's aren't the heaviest frames money can buy...

I still think $12k is too much for that bike. It's probably not worth more then $5k in real WW dollars.

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

bobalou wrote:I still think $12k is too much for that bike. It's probably not worth more then $5k in real WW dollars.

you're kidding rite?

Campy Record, Bora wheels

a frameset that beats Trek 5500, Madone and rivals 5900 in weight.

Lighter than almost all the framesets LOOK, Pinarello and other big teams has to offer.

Not worth 5000?

bobalou

by bobalou

ShinyBaldy wrote:
bobalou wrote:I still think $12k is too much for that bike. It's probably not worth more then $5k in real WW dollars.

you're kidding rite?

Campy Record, Bora wheels

a frameset that beats Trek 5500, Madone and rivals 5900 in weight.

Lighter than almost all the framesets LOOK, Pinarello and other big teams has to offer.

Not worth 5000?

My point is that if you give $5k to most WW's to build a bike, they'll build one of comparable weight and performace to that TCR 100. Don't get me wrong, I OWN a TCR 0 and love it and would love to have that TCR 100 (frameset). But that bike is overpriced.

For one thing they're using the overpriced bora wheels that aren't even that light. That bike may be priced high because it's limited build numbers (only 100 to be made world wide) but that's all. BTW, I think the TCR 100 frameset is lighter then all those others you mentioned.

So.. it may very well sell for $12,000 but it's not worth it (IMHO).

Eventually, GIANT will be selling the very same frameset (with a different name probably) like pancakes at a much lower price. What's the point in paying so much for the TCR100?

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

2004' Bora's are not light? 1300g for sure working wheels and they are heavy? I know Lightweight's are better but Bora's are faster to get.

I think you must ride more....

bobalou

by bobalou

Samu Ilonen wrote:2004' Bora's are not light? 1300g for sure working wheels and they are heavy? I know Lightweight's are better but Bora's are faster to get.

I think you must ride more....

Light? Yes, but, for tubulars it's average weight. AND, for the price (BORA's in U.S., about $2700.00), it's not hard to find or build tubulars 2-300g lighter for about half that price, or certainly, allot cheaper! Don't know if that's true in EU, you tell me.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Here in Holland the MSRP is plm 2500 euro's.... but they're sold for 1800 @ salden.nl (a well known big cheap bikestore in Holland)... A pair of corima's only costs 1100 or 1200 or so..
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

This time the winning buyer is fraudulent.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

bobalou wrote:
Light? Yes, but, for tubulars it's average weight. AND, for the price (BORA's in U.S., about $2700.00), it's not hard to find or build tubulars 2-300g lighter for about half that price, or certainly, allot cheaper! Don't know if that's true in EU, you tell me.

Yes, IF you use crap parts like American Classic's and don't care about aerodynamics.

But I have lost my nervers for hippie parts that are made in Asia...in paper they look light and cheap but in rear wold they suck hard. Hubs that lost their bearings in half summer, rims that hasn's weldet etc.

Buying Record etc. you can't go wrong and you will get lest desent life span. In EU new Bora's cost ~2000€. Not cheap but good wheels for years.

For comparison I had Zipp 360 rims/Am.C hubs/X-ray spokes last summer. They where 1283g/900€ with good deal. Both hubs blowed in a month (also in another clicher pair) and Zipp rims had bad stability problem, one place in rim for every rim was much heavier so spinning was not perfect. What a sh_t!

My friend races on first type Hyperons. Always working and no faillures. Even on hard races that includes sand roads. Thats quality.

But If you hang your bike only in wall then you can drill your SLR, use AMC hub/Nisi Gold rims/120g tubulars etc. But ride more....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

...so that's why my stuff never breaks :lol:

Well said. It's often difficult for people to distinguish between a quality made part and something cheaply made.