New Campagnolo Centaur Carbon Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Would you buy this?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 18

danielgillett

by danielgillett

A few days ago I received an email from Campagnolo stating that they were to bring out a Carbon crankset.

"For 2005 the Centaur groupset presents an optional carbon-fiber crankset. The Centaur Carbon crankset was designed by applying the same constructive technology as for the Record Carbon and Chorus Carbon series. This involves a careful union of two technologies, namely Multidirectional Carbon Fiber and Unidirectional Carbon Fiber technologies.
In this solution the Multidirectional Carbon Fiber is first spread, creating the component’s overall strength, after which the Unidirectional Carbon Fiber is applied, following the same direction as the stress lines, i.e. all the points where the component is subjected to maximum stress. In this way a component of unbelievable mechanical strength is obtained.

When comparing the results with the same model in aluminium, the differences are extraordinary:

Greater lightness
Greater resistance to static loads
Greater fatigue strength
Greater torsional strength "

My questions are:
-What is the weight?
-What month is it going to be available?

Does anyone here have an 'inside line' and might know the answer to these questions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Well, the only difference between '04 Record and Chorus is 5 chainring bolts, a decal, and about $200!
I suspect this is Chorus just dropped down to the Centaur group.
Don't know actual weight; I suspect availability will be after Interbike, etc.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

My 2004' Carbon Record cranks were 545g 175mm+53/39 rings.

Look that in picture in compact crank. I will get alloy compact Centaur cranks to my cross bike (48/34 rings)