Bike Project by elephant-New Photos August 07, 2006

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

elephant

by elephant

Bike with parts weighs 23 lbs. Not exactly a true WW bike, but it rides great. Other than shortening the steerer tube, I think I will leave it be for a while; maybe I'll change a few things next Spring when I have some miles on it.

See you on the trails!
Last edited by elephant on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregc

by gregc

hey,

bike looks great...just wondering where you guys ended up riding?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elephant

by elephant

Sprain Ridge.

It was pretty technical for my first ride. I forgot about how MTB riding is not just a matter of a round pedal stroke, but skill, courage, etc.

Nicolas

by Nicolas

Could you make the pictures smaller in width? Frankie would probably as well as I would :)
Think, type, speak... In that order...

elephant

by elephant

Nicolas wrote:Could you make the pictures smaller in width? Frankie would probably as well as I would :)

I am not very good at using photo bucket yet. I will post better pictures when I get them.

And who is Frankie?

King Weel

by King Weel

Frankie B, he is one of our appreciated moderators.
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks guys :thumbup:

And, there is nothing wrong with those pics (or am I to late?) the alowed size on ww is 1024 x 768. Maybe you are just like me using a 15.4" screen.

BTW, nice bike you got there! keep the info about it comming.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

roxtr

by roxtr

wow nice ride!

I love the thin tubing and the braze on front mech. How are the thumbies performing during mtb? I like the old school look of them.

Have fun, Frank
Mountainbike marathon racer
frank-nak.nl

elephant

by elephant

roxtr wrote:wow nice ride!

I love the thin tubing and the braze on front mech. How are the thumbies performing during mtb? I like the old school look of them.

Have fun, Frank

I really like the Thumbies. I have only ridden Gripshift and Rapidfire-type shifters when borrowing a bike or on test rides. My road bike is Campy friction and my old MTB was Suntour thumbshifters, so I am used to feeling the shift and not just pressing a button and letting the derailleur do the work. I was also concerned about the large front shift on a 2x9 and I liked the idea of being able to trim the front so there is never any chain rub.

All that being said, unless you really have a thing for thumbshifters they may not be that great. They are not any better than other shifters for rear indexed shifting - they definitely work but I that is what I expected of Dura-Ace barcon shifters. I prefer them for the front, but maybe Gripshift works well and can be trimmed as well.

Also, I think many riders might find it strange to roll their thumb over the top of the bar - basically let go of the bar - to shift. I do not even think about because it is what I have always done. I never think about hitting a bump and my hand coming off, I just shift when I need to shift.

FYI, if you are thinking of using them - I did need to locate a non-Rapid Rise rear der for them to work the way I was used to as well. Supposedly 2007 XTR will be available in non-Rapid Rise, so this will not be an issue in the future.

They are light and they will be lighter after I my alloy bolts arrive.

saletel

by saletel

another thumbs up on the thumbies

Pedro Barbosa

by Pedro Barbosa

Hi, elephant.

Do this black C eggbeaters lose its collor very easy?

Thanks

laurence313

by laurence313

Hi elephant,

Nice Bike! Well done on the build. I can only dream of the feeling of taking a just completed bike for the first ride! I think I need to get mine finished ASAP. . . not so easy on the wallet thou.

Anyways, I want to ask how you get the road front derailleur to work with your top pull frame? I thought most front der. works only for bottom pull, or am I missing something?

Cheers,
laurence313

elephant

by elephant

To laurence313:

I have a pulley to route the cable. The frame has a braze-on for the pulley as well.

I will get a pic and post it along with all the details on where I got the pulley.

Also, don't rush getting your bike. Mine took 5 months to get finished, but I am very happy with the final product. The extra time is worth getting it done right - you will have the bike for many years.

Good luck with your build.

elephant

by elephant

Pedro Barbosa wrote:Hi, elephant.

Do this black C eggbeaters lose its collor very easy?

Thanks

I missed your post earlier.

The color does come off pretty quickly, but they still have a pretty cool "black" look to them. I will take a pic and post it here so you can get an idea of what they look like after some of the black wears off.

Pedro Barbosa

by Pedro Barbosa

elephant wrote:I will take a pic and post it here so you can get an idea of what they look like after some of the black wears off.

This would be great!

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com