Petachi and his cranks.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

From the recent post regarding the new BB i noticed that he does NOT use carbon cranks. Since everyone states that the carbon cranks are both lighter and stiffer, what reason would he have for not using them?

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

I know from a mates wife, who works at the factory next door to where they make the cranks they supply. His girlfreind at the factory where they make the cranks are saying he can't afford to buy them, as he spent all his money on the frame. VTIC

cheers
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C-40

by C-40

[quote="Ralphy-boy"]I know from a mates wife, who works at the factory next door to where they make the cranks they supply. His girlfreind at the factory where they make the cranks are saying he can't afford to buy them, as he spent all his money on the frame. VTIC

Sure.........
by the way what does VTIC mean?

divve

by divve

He uses 177.5

C-40

by C-40

You mean carbon is not available in that length????

simonali

by simonali

Ralphy-boy wrote:I know from a mates wife, who works at the factory next door to where they make the cranks they supply. His girlfreind at the factory where they make the cranks are saying he can't afford to buy them, as he spent all his money on the frame. VTIC

Is it just me, or does everyone think this is incomprehensible gibberish?

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

lol yea! Cos how come his mate's wife turns out to be a woman with a girlfriend, unless his mate has a weird role reversal relationship......

C-40

by C-40

Pete is 1/2 insane, half transexual......

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

C-40 wrote:You mean carbon is not available in that length????

Nope, just 170, 172.5, and 175. The aluminums are available up to 180mm.

cadence90

by cadence90

C-40 wrote:
Ralphy-boy wrote:I know from a mates wife, who works at the factory next door to where they make the cranks they supply. His girlfreind at the factory where they make the cranks are saying he can't afford to buy them, as he spent all his money on the frame. VTIC

Sure.........
by the way what does VTIC mean?

I think it goes like this:
Ralphy has a friend.
The friend's wife works at the factory (of unknown products) next to the crank factory.
The friend also has a girlfriend who does work at the crank factory (lucky her).
The wife and the girlfriend (the wife doesn't know, of course) are acquaintances or friends and trade factory gossip, idle chatter, cigarette break, bleak industrial landscape and all that.
Since the girlfriend makes cranks they sometimes talk about cyclists, and they dig Petacchi.
The girlfriend is not too bright, but she thinks the cranks are really expensive (true), and that [most] cyclists are poor (true), and so she puts 2 + 2 together, and says Petacchi can't afford the cranks 'cos he bought an expensive bike.
She tells the wife, the wife tells the hubby, the hubby tells Ralphy.
Ralphy is using the friend, the friend's wife, and the friend's girlfriend to get valuable and important inside info on the cycling biz.
We don't know if Ralphy has a wife, a girlfriend, or both, but with sources like this, this guy is going places! :)
P.S.: VTIC=Very Tongue In Cheek
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

simonali wrote:Is it just me, or does everyone think this is incomprehensible gibberish.

simonali, Take a chill pill champ, this is supposed to be a light hearted forum.

C-40, VTIC= very tongue in cheek, as in takin tha piss outa something.

cadence90, Pretty bloody close mate, except for the wife don't know about the girlfriend :wink:

cheers
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

cadence90

by cadence90

Ralphy-boy wrote:simonali wrote:Is it just me, or does everyone think this is incomprehensible gibberish.

simonali, Take a chill pill champ, this is supposed to be a light hearted forum.

C-40, VTIC= very tongue in cheek, as in takin tha piss outa something.

cadence90, Pretty bloody close mate, except for the wife don't know about the girlfriend :wink:

cheers

What do you mean, Ralphy? I wrote: "The wife and the girlfriend (the wife doesn't know, of course)...."
That was the obvious part (there's always a wife and a girlfriend in those crank-making factory towns, ya know). :wink:
The hard part was figuring out whether you and the mate have jobs too, or if you just trade bike gossip you pick up from the factory girls all day long.... :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

KB

by KB

Cadence
You are now 'Il Campionissimo' or could it be John Steinbeck. No I think Quention Tarantino is more suitable.

cadence90

by cadence90

Right. Actually, Harvey Keitel makes Alessandro Petacchi's cranks. But Ralphy didn't tell us that....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

cadence90 wrote:Right. Actually, Harvey Keitel makes Alessandro Petacchi's cranks. But Ralphy didn't tell us that....

Harvey doesn't make Petacchi's cranks anymore. He used to, but he went bankrupt or into receivership, so now the same guy who makes rebadged lightweights with an aluminium braking surface and Cosmic Carbone decals makes them. He is too short to reach the top of 177.5 cranks but he is looking into a process where he stands on his wife's girlfriend to reach. The cranks will only fit a rebadged, custom moulded, Walser_Giant OCR as ridden by Lance.

The woman outside the bakery told me.