new tune stuff?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Being an owner of an AX-Lightness saddle, I was always amazed at their low mass. This new Tune saddle would seem to fall into the category of stupid light. Hopefully, other owners of this Tune saddle have a little more luck with it, or at the very least, no one gets hurt when they break.

C-40

by C-40

One way of determining if any product should be bought is to see if top level pros use it or not. Sure they want and need light but they also need reliability....... a single technical failure would at teh least cost a few minutes and perhaps a stage- This seat failure is immoral..... and the company should be fined!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

I'm willing to give the tune saddle another try, asuming they will replace it. I really thought that if anyone could ride this thing, I could, considering my weight. I assume this product was tested, and therefore, will give them the benifit of the doubt untill I get this replaced. Unless their testers are 40kg children!
I wish I had a camera to photogragh the crack. Its very small and looks like a splinter about 2-3mm long. This occored on the right tail where it begins to wrap around. The left is still intact, and it was an otherwise great ride. Very comfy for all carbon and no padding.

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

C-40 wrote:One way of determining if any product should be bought is to see if top level pros use it or not. Sure they want and need light but they also need reliability....... a single technical failure would at teh least cost a few minutes and perhaps a stage- This seat failure is immoral..... and the company should be fined!!!

I don't think many of us would be riding all carbon saddles and flimsy bar stem combos if we had to conform to the 6.8kg rule. Pros get the light weight where they need it most, the weels, and 'tank' it on in other places. Example: lances choice in pedals and saddle.

mises

by mises

As I understand it the AX-lightness colored saddles are made heavier to prevent delamination caused by the colored Kevlar being more flexible than the carbon. Maybe that's the issue on the Tune.

I think for that price it would more than disappoint me.

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

Tune is replacing the saddle. I'm still hoping that it'll work out, like i said, most comfortable all carbon for me. Beats the speedneedle hands down in that area. Seems like some kind of extra material on the edge of the tail would have prevented this. It was the worst section of road we encountered when I heard the crack. Still, it wasn't as if there were big pot holes in the road, just rough surface with dips of about 1-1.5cm max.

spytech

by spytech

which version did you have? i thought their were 2 one that was 39 and another that was 44 grams?

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

I also remember nino saying there were two. I ordered mine direct from tune and recieved a saddle with a 41g sticker on it. I suppose they weigh and lable each from the factory. I was never given an option through emailing them. I did, however, specify my weight as 60kg. I also see gypzybike has them for sale now, with only one option it looks like.
I'm really happy that they offered to replace it with no questions asked. Then again, I can only wonder if this is because I'm not the first...I would really like to know if others have experienced this.

C-40

by C-40

Certainly very good customer service- replace w/ no questions. Obviously you are not the first to have a problem. The next time it cracks you could be in for some major pain or maybe just a long ride home standing the whole way........

spytech

by spytech

for 300 euros, it should get replaced twice more before they start asking questions. :lol:

spytech

by spytech

will tune make this saddle custom, for heavier riders or those who would like to use this saddle for mtb? how about adding padding to it? i know you guys have said this saddle is more comfortable than the AX-lightness, but still i would love to get some padding on it, to make it even more comfortable for longer rides.

teutscher

by teutscher

spytech wrote:will tune make this saddle custom, for heavier riders or those who would like to use this saddle for mtb? how about adding padding to it? i know you guys have said this saddle is more comfortable than the AX-lightness, but still i would love to get some padding on it, to make it even more comfortable for longer rides.

the saddle isn't produced by tune. they're just the ones distributing it but for sure your better off asking mr tune himself or one of his right hands (yes, there's a whole bunch of right hands at tune :) )