Could campy have been more poser with the new brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spookyload

by spookyload

Get origional like you did with the new kick butt BB for the crankset. Instead they stole the design of zero gravity. I would have expected more from Campy.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

They don't look like zero g's to me, esp. in the silver version :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

doesn't look much like the zg brake to me, but if you are going to redesign your brake caliper i would think that you caould do something more inventive - i know this pulls out some of the weight, but it's still a good deal heavier then m5, zg and ax. i would be interested to know how the arms stiffness is...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

alienator

by alienator

If the CN article is true, then Campy used testing to determine where to remove material. They certainly weren't following ZG. It's not as if ZG has cornered the brake market. AND trussed designs--space frames et al--have been around a lot longer than ZG. Couple that with the fact that Campy's brakes are forged......and the idea that Campy copied ZG just falls flat on its face.

leave

by leave

zero gravity doesn't have a hair on campy's a$$. campy was here before and will be here long after zero gravity.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

looks more like the Force brakes to me

but i agree with you on wanting a little more.

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

The crank idea has been around for a few years too. At least we know that it will be quality.

Karbon

by Karbon

jeremyb wrote:looks more like the Force brakes to me

Please remove image tags when you decide to quote. We don't need to see the same pic over and over again. Thanks, Frankie.

but i agree with you on wanting a little more.

Those SRAM brakes look like the late 70's/early 80's Dura Ace EX brakes, they had the same truss.

foxracer826

by foxracer826

Campagnolo didn't steal anything, and they were certainly not creative, they just made their brakes a whole lot uglier. I was thinking of getting these new lighter rbeaks before i saw what they looked like, and now there is no chance I will buy campagnolo breaks.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

How many ways are there to make a brake caliper? Campy historically puts performance over style.

I don't see the ZG similarities, but they do look like SRAM Farce, which were from Mavic SSC.

Amadeus

by Amadeus

M5 Is the only brake to consider IMHOP.

And if you are under 75-80kg buy AX Lightness Orion brakes!

M5 is pure performance! And inovative enough!

But Campagnolo didn't look at ZG.

Mavis SRam and Dura Ace (old version) have some similar ideas.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

DocRay wrote:How many ways are there to make a brake caliper? Campy historically puts performance over style.

I don't see the ZG similarities, but they do look like SRAM Farce, which were from Mavic SSC.

That's what I thought too- only so many ways to bake a road brake. I have the Zero G's (like them) and didn't think of them when I saw the lighter 07 Campy stuff.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Hmmm... I think they mainly look like brakes, and except from making something like road disc brakes, I don't see how you can be very original, inovative and renewing whitout having similarities with other brands. I see a few more similarities with the Mavic brakes, but never saw them as a ZG copy (what is a quite different concept imho).

When I saw the SRAM brakes, I thought they looked a lot like the Mavics as well... and the SRAM shifters, can those be called original, or just amix between Shimano and Campa? You can't blame these manufacturers of not totally renewing a proven good concept!

marko

by marko

With a brake pad on each side, damb campy is just another copy-cat. I also hate how they articulate on a pivot and squeeze the rim. You want to revolutionize brakes, get a big leather pad that drops in the middle and rubs on the tire surface.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

marko wrote: You want to revolutionize brakes, get a big leather pad that drops in the middle and rubs on the tire surface.

My tires already don't last long enough! :wink:

But the new Campy's are kinda homely for Campy's, and that black has gotta go. :P Polished would be some consolation.

Better looking IMHO than the SSC's though.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com