Tyre choice for races

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marktickner

by marktickner

I am looking for some race tyres for my Spinergy Tilliums. I have Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tyres on them but they are getting a bit worn now and have the tell tale flat surface on them now.

My question is what tyres would you recommend for them. I am looking for durable, lightweight race tyres with some puncture protection in them to last a 112 mile Ironman race in 2 weeks.

I was thinking of the Tufo Kona Coast or Fire Mountain tyres or even the Planet X Jet Pro tyres? Maybe even the Continental Attack Force set thats specially made for the front and rear wheels?
What do you guys reckon.

Many thanks

zoey

by zoey

I like the Veloflex Pave tires.
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wanderingwheel

by wanderingwheel

For durability and road feel, it's hard to beat the Michelin Pro Race. I think the Vittorias you're replacing are a touch faster, but the Michelins are much more durable. I haven't used the other tires you mention, but I have not heard any good comments about the Continental Attack/Force tires. Most people I've talked to said that they corner no better than any other tire and that they feel significantly slower. I still have yet to try Veloflex.

Sean

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

Hi,

I have on my race wheels a set of the Conti Attack Force tyres, I have also read reviews that they are no good, however I have only good things to say about them. I have them matched up to a set of Mavic SLs and this combination works well for me. I have around 800-1000k of racing on them so far and nil flats up to now also. This wheel and tyre combo gives me a more responsive ride compared to my training wheels and tyres.

cheers
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

rico

by rico

Having ridden all three (Conti Attack/Force, Michelin PRs, Vittoria CXs) recently, the Michelins probably have the best 'feel' (especially with latex inner tubes) and are a good compromise between speed and durability.

However, in poor conditions the Vittorias might just win out because of their better grip. There have been worries that the Vittorias are too loose a fit on some wheels (eg Ksyriums) but this hasn't been a problem for me.

What was a problem for me was when successive paris of the Contis blew off the rim on descents. They really don't like anything over 110psi.

Both the Michelins and the Vittorias do tha nice swooshy sound when you accelerate....

rico

jeremyb

by jeremyb

wanderingwheel wrote:For durability and road feel, it's hard to beat the Michelin Pro Race. I think the Vittorias you're replacing are a touch faster, but the Michelins are much more durable. I haven't used the other tires you mention, but I have not heard any good comments about the Continental Attack/Force tires. Most people I've talked to said that they corner no better than any other tire and that they feel significantly slower. I still have yet to try Veloflex.

Sean

yeah i too use the Michelin Pro Race tires, and have been happy with them not just as a race tire (for a pure race tire there are lighter tires out there) but as an allrounder. I havent got a flat to date on them, which is mostly luck.

jeremyb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com