my Slice SI carbon fork has a star nut in it? Wont budge.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeremyb

by jeremyb

Hey there, i purchased a Cannondale Slice SI all carbon fork off of Ebay. And i received it today---went to take out the top cap and realized that there appears to be a star nut in there. And i cant get it out. Also, the inside of the steerer tube has deep grooves down the inside of the steerer tube where it looks like the star nut was hammered or pressed into place.

I have always thought that you dont use a star nut in a carbon steerer tube and that you use an expanding wedge as came with my Look HSC4.

Any ideas? or information

jeremyb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

The canondale SI all carbon for ia actually made for use with a star nut, but it has a special top cap that goes into the steerer tube about 30mm.

Did you get the top cap with it? If you didn't you need to aquire one before installing the fork, otherwise you risk crushing the steerer tube.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

Superlite wrote:The canondale SI all carbon for ia actually made for use with a star nut, but it has a special top cap that goes into the steerer tube about 30mm.

Did you get the top cap with it? If you didn't you need to aquire one before installing the fork, otherwise you risk crushing the steerer tube.

okay good, thanks for the news. Yeah i got the special deep topcap. btw is this setup lighter, or just different? I guess im asking why is it like this?

jeremyb

Superlite

by Superlite

the setup weighs only 14g, so yeah, it's quite a bit lighter then most compression caps, usually 30-40g.

divve

by divve

Yeah, it's supposed to be in there. You can find the specific docs in the tech section of the Cannondale site. It's a light system but also a bit of a hassle. When you want to remove your stem the top cap doesn't slide off easily. You have to tap the stem with a rubber mallet from the bottom in order to get it out.