Principia Ellipse or Ellipse SX ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Oenk

by Oenk

I can't choose between the Principia Ellipse or Ellipse SX .
Anyone suggestions about the differences in weight/stiffness etc.

So what's it gonna be?

or

:?: :?: :?:

rico

by rico

I raced an RS6e Pro (forerunner of the Ellipse SX) last year. Beautiful bike. I think the SX is a teeny bit lighter because it's a compact. Otherwise not a lot to choose between them in terms of performance.

You will not be disappointed - whichever you choose.

rico

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RIDE

by RIDE

I happend to own a REXe Pro and am beginning my 3rd season on it. I could not be happier and would surely buy another Prinicipia tomorrow if I had to replace my bike.

They say that there is a slight bit more stiffness and weight reduction with the sloping frame (my REX is standard), but I just preferred the look of the standard frame. I am also on the taller side (6'2") and found the fit to be a bit better for me wit the REX vs. the RS6.

Pick your poison and you won't be sorry!

RIDE

Oenk

by Oenk

I've been riding a REX '99 for about 4 years. But it was torn. I was in doubt about the replacement. Now I've got a great new black Ellipse SX.
Here some pics of this great frameset. It's weight is 1808 gr for size 59(frame+fork+headset).
Attachments
ellipse1.jpg
ellipse3.jpg
IMG_0157 (Medium).jpg
ellipse.jpg

cadence90

by cadence90

Nice looking frame....Is there any point to driving the cable stops through the head tube though? :?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Oenk

what stand is your frame on. I love it and want one!

martin

by martin

cadence90 wrote:Nice looking frame....Is there any point to driving the cable stops through the head tube though? :?

Looks better :-)
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

cadence90

by cadence90

martin wrote:
cadence90 wrote:Nice looking frame....Is there any point to driving the cable stops through the head tube though? :?

Looks better :-)

Maybe...maybe not...eye of the beholder, I guess, but 2 holes that close to a weld? Just for aesthetics? :? I suppose that tube goes all the way through, and might help reinforce; how is it attached?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Beeble

by Beeble

nzkiwiguy wrote:Oenk

what stand is your frame on. I love it and want one!

Second that :D!

divve

by divve

It's a Tacx Cycle Motion Stand.

Oenk

by Oenk

Here is some info about the cable stops:
http://www.principia.dk/pages/philosophy.html

It has something to do with the very thick ellipse headtube (headset= 1 1/4" and 1 1/8" on top) I think and it saves a few grams.
The Tour magazin tested the Ellipse SX as the best Alu frame with the best STW.

The stand is a Tacx motion stand:

www.tacx.nl

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I bought a 2003 rex e sx pro frame and built it up to a 6.5kg bike. I did so after my Merak flexed during a some dolomite climbs. I 've just got the Principia on the road and already I notice the difference - it is so stiff.
So if I were you i would go for the sloping geometry as its lighter and stiffer or check out the Storck EVO - apparently its the ulimate!

divve

by divve

Not so good news.....I just read on the German Tour forum Principia has filed for bankruptcy. I don't know how it goes over there in Denmark. Perhaps it's some sort of protection and they can restart the company after reorganizing.

Below from the German distributor ACS.

Sehr geehrter Herr ******,

es ist tatsächlich wahr. Principia hat vorgestern Insolvenz angemeldet. Mit allen dazu gehörigen Konsequenzen, was Ersatzteile, Garantie & Reparaturen angeht.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen.
i.A. Stefan Gilge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rogue

by Rogue

Well, for starters it is not the first time that Principia has gone belly up. However in the past the company has always come back due to new investors.
A true shame because they produce some of the best frames in the world.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.