Zipp 404 wheel - spoke replacement query

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andyrr

by andyrr

I'd appreciate a quick response as I've been offered a front Zipp 404 wheel (16 spoke) that has a bust spoke and I've to make a quick decision.
Is a spoke replacement as per a normal wheel assuming no other issues arise ?
The current 404s seem to have full carbon rim but this set is a couple of years old and seem to have an ali braking surface - any problems inherant with that age of 404s ?

I recently wrecked my handbuilt front wheel that I use for TTs (and occasionally road races as it's fairly light) and I'm wondering if the 404 might be a suitable replacement. I don't want to buy a pair of wheels unless I have to so a front-only at a good price is ideal for me.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Replacing spokes on most wheels should never be a problem. In particular, your wheels, unless the Rim has some deformity then It will be fine.

When you put that spoke in, be sure to use a tension-meter, in order to check that the stress is distributed correctly.

I have a friend who did exactly the same thing, and he fixed it with no problem. :D

rico

by rico

Tubular 404s have carbon braking surfaces, clincher versions have alu.

I bought a pair of 404 clinchers a few weeks ago, put them on my bike, realised how terrible the hubs were and took them straight back to my LBS who very graciously exchanged them.

The front hub's carbon cover fell off and the rear wheel was so flexible I couldn't see how anyone was expected to climb or sprint on it. Maybe I got a bad pair, but wouldn't recommend them on the basis of this experience. Corimas are probably better VFM.

rico

andyrr

by andyrr

Thanks - I'd found a zipp 404 on ebay at what looked a good price but it closed higher than my limit but maybe a 404 isn't what i need anyway going by the comments.