LeMond: "Armstrong threatened my life"

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

From CYCLINGNEWS.COM -- this crap just keeps getting better- we need a reality show on fox to keep up w/ this stuff!

LeMond: "Armstrong threatened my life"
Former Tour de France champion Greg LeMond has given French L'Equipe newspaper an exclusive interview, published on Sunday, June 25, 2006, in which the American has taken a stand against Lance Armstrong, the UCI and the Vrijman report. LeMond said that Lance Armstrong has threatened him for having criticised the seven-time race winner's collaboration with Italian sports doctor Michele Ferrari. LeMond, who won the Tour de France in 1986, 1989, 1990, said that he was pressured by Armstrong in 2001 after saying that he was disappointed at the Texan's association with the controversial preparatore.

"Lance threatened me," he said. "He threatened my wife, my business, my life. His biggest threat consisted of saying that he (Armstrong) would find ten people to testify that I took EPO."

In the interview, LeMond continued by holding the UCI responsible for their failure to deal with the problem of doping. "This problem goes beyond Armstrong," he said. "The Spanish scandal is another example, the entire system is corrupt, the UCI is corrupt."

LeMond also referred to the Vrijman report, named after the expert commissioned by the UCI to probe the L'Equipe allegations of doping against Armstrong. "The report should have come from WADA or the French Ministry of Health," he said. "But it doesn't change anything if you catch a rider because Lance is now retired and it continues." LeMond added that Armstrong as a person was consumed with ambition: "He needs power - with money, or with women. He will never find happiness."

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

If this really happened, which I very much doubt, why did he wait till now to come out with it?

Doesn't it seem a little too convenient that he has a bad story about Armstrong, which happened 5+ years ago (according to him), when all of these new allegations are coming forward?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miles3D

by Miles3D

He might not have come forward at that time because he had bussiness interest to protect (family and self as well). Lemond is not a bad guy, I know what he's trying to get at, I just think he went about it in the wrong way. Which is more or less what andy hampsten said in an open letter to the public a few year back when he tried to clarify the situation.

P.S. as I recall Mr Lemond said more than 'he was a little disappointed' as I recall he went on to say 'Mr. Armstrong has a secret that he's not telling the true about'. Frankly, if I were Armstrong I'd be pissed off as well.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Before anyone suggests that Lemond is not telling the truth ask yourself why he would make these allegations? To do so will bring only negative reactions. There is nothing in it for Greg.

Battman57

by Battman57

I am trying to figure out why Lemond would do this. What could he possibly gain by it, unless he's taking a final jab at Armstrong. Trek cannot be happy about his statements, as they produce his range of Bicycles. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

John979

by John979

"Lance threatened me," he said. "He threatened my wife, my business, my life. His biggest threat consisted of saying that he (Armstrong) would find ten people to testify that I took EPO."

I always was under the impression that it was Le Mond who introduced EPO to cycling...
John979

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

There is nothing in it for Greg Lemond, but he has disliked Lance for at least the last 6 years. So if you dislike someone and people are shooting 5 and 7 year old BS at him, why not shoot some 5 year old BS at Lance too. It cost Greg nothing to say this and it further vexes Lance.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

John979 wrote:"Lance threatened me," he said. "He threatened my wife, my business, my life. His biggest threat consisted of saying that he (Armstrong) would find ten people to testify that I took EPO."

I always was under the impression that it was Le Mond who introduced EPO to cycling...

One of the reasons Lemond retired (He was only 30 when he quit) was because he felt everyone else was on drugs.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

spartan

by spartan

imho lemond,hinault were the two last CLEAN riders to win the tour de france.

interesting read LA confidential

http://www.dailypelotonforums.com/main/ ... wtopic=299

quote from lemond june 2001

LA: "Well, your comeback in '89 was so spectacular. Mine's a miracle,
yours was a miracle. You couldn't have been as strong as you were in
'89 without EPO."

GL: "Listen Lance, before EPO was ever in cycling, I won the Tour de
France. First time I was in the Tour, I was third; second time I
should have won but was held back by my team, third time I won it. It
is not because of EPO that I have won the Tour, my haematocrit was
never more than 45, but because I had a V02 max of 95, yours was 82.
Tell me one person who said I did EPO."

LA: "Everyone knows it."

GL: "Are you threatening me?"

LA: "If you want to throw stones, I will throw stones."

GL: "So you are threatening me? Listen Lance, I know physiology; no
amount of training can transform an athlete with a VO2 max of 82 into
one with a VO2 Max of 95 and you have ridden faster than I did."

Auk

by Auk

quote]

One of the reasons Lemond retired (He was only 30 when he quit) was because he felt everyone else was on drugs.[/quote]

Actually, he has a rare muscle disorder that reduces the muscles ability to recover from hard efforts.

Chiho

by Chiho

Also, wasn't it something to do with leftover lead shot contamination in the body from his hunting accident?

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Chiho wrote:Also, wasn't it something to do with leftover lead shot contamination in the body from his hunting accident?

His doctors think he developed mitochondrial myopathy as a result of the hunting accident in 1987.

Auk

by Auk

Chiho wrote:Also, wasn't it something to do with leftover lead shot contamination in the body from his hunting accident?

Nah, that whole lead shot in in the body and shooting thing was a hoax. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Anyone have a link to a place to buy LA Confidential in English? I can find it on amazon france but I'm affraid my French isn't good enough to read a book like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

Perhaps Greg is a little mentally ill. He was convinced that he would be doped by thr team chef or others. This also happened with his business, and his relationship with his own father is ruined. I work with the mentally ill, and mild forms can take place in any of us. We think it immpossible to happen to our "heros". Look what we do to our pocketbooks in the search to shed some grams, now let's all lay on the couch and take a deep breath.