USE Alien carbon seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fred from Jupiter

by Fred from Jupiter

Are there any experiences with this seatpost? The weight is only 130 Gr.

Fred
Attachments
ctg20.jpg
ctg20.jpg (4.33 KiB) Viewed 5843 times

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Great seatpost, looks cool, light, but the clamping mechanism is a lil fiddly *nods*

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Its a good post. Set up is a pain in the ass, but once you dial it in its pretty rock solid. Hoever, there are a lot of other posts with easier clamping mechs that are just as light. Deda and the new control tech team are two.

martin

by martin

Fred from Jupiter wrote:Are there any experiences with this seatpost? The weight is only 130 Gr.
Fred

Are you sure about the weight? mine (31.6 uncut) is ~200g
..as the others said, adjusting takes hours of fiddeling with a 3mm allen key.
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Fred from Jupiter

by Fred from Jupiter

martin wrote:
Fred from Jupiter wrote:Are there any experiences with this seatpost? The weight is only 130 Gr.
Fred

Are you sure about the weight? mine (31.6 uncut) is ~200g
..as the others said, adjusting takes hours of fiddeling with a 3mm allen key.

That´s the weight my dealer told me and it´s also in the listing with 131 G.
USE Alien Carbon 27,2/270

Also the hp of use says 130 G.

I have to calculate 10 g more fore the shim

Superlite

by Superlite

That´s the weight my dealer told me and it´s also in the listing with 131 G.
USE Alien Carbon 27,2/270

Those weights are old and innaccurate. The first batches weighed less for some reason. I have weighed a dozen of them, never lower then 147g and that was for a 25.0mm/220 . And the shim weighs 14g.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

martin wrote:..as the others said, adjusting takes hours of fiddeling with a 3mm allen key.

I never had a problem with the clamping mechanism, super-easy, super-smooth and super-reliable. It's an 2.5mm allen key though.

Superlite wrote:The first batches weighed less for some reason.

The carbon walls were much thinner. I myself sent two pieces back due to dents in the clamping area.

martin

by martin

Dr.Dos wrote:
martin wrote:..as the others said, adjusting takes hours of fiddeling with a 3mm allen key.

I never had a problem with the clamping mechanism, super-easy, super-smooth and super-reliable. It's an 2.5mm allen key though.

You are right, its a 2,5mm. It was hell to adjust my saddle so that it was level AND fixed well so that it wouldn't slip - first time i rode after mounting the post, exactly that was what happened - had to ride 10km standing in order not to kill the rails of my AX Lightness. But maybe its just that the AX's stainless tubes on the carbon rails are very smooth.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Funny, I tighten the small bolts with only very little force - just as much I can apply with the shorter end of a typical allen key. I even lube the bolts with copper paste, they never came lose, be it on a road- oder mountain-bike.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Dr.Dos, My USE post dented so I sent them an e-mail. They never responded. Nothing. I figured that they just didn't back up thier product.
After that product failure I went with a Ti post and have never looked back.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

popawheelie, did you try contacting the importers, Ibexsports?

I once had a problem with this post, similar to the one you are describing, and they warrantied it with no questions asked.

See the site at http://www.ibexsports.com. James and Andy should be able to help you with that.

The only other problem I have had with this post is continually having it stuck inside one of my frames... no matter what I have tried, it always ends up getting stuck. Grease, no grease, anti-seize, nothing works. Of course, there is an alloy sleeve which the post slips into, so there is probably a nice battery effect going on :(

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I'll try them BikeTech. There's no harm in trying. now let's see where I put that thing?

cadence90

by cadence90

I had this post for about 3 months: absolutely hated it.
The clamping system is a drag, it occasionally slipped, the fact that it's between setback and no setback was weird, the rotating head, it all bothered me and I got rid of it. I don't remember the weight now, but it was higher than claimed.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I agree cadence90. If they give me a new one, and I dought they will, I'll sell it.

teutscher

by teutscher

crap! T-profiled break-away-design with bolds bending instead of stretching. engineering at it's worst. who cares? it's light - buy it and hype it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com