AC 420/350 Sticker Removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

Weisse Luft wrote:If stickers make the warranty, why would they sell these:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC ... ry.2020/.f

For goof balls who want to put them on their car.

Stickers fail. Now if you used 10M HCl to clean the rims and the stickers fell off, the warranty would be void from the dissolution of the rim itself but if your citrus degreaser has discolored and lifted the stickers after a few rides in the rain, its unlikely warranty would be denied despite what the lawyer cum inbound telemarketer said.

She was not a telemarker she was one of the owners.........she just happened to answer the phone. And it is not what she said but what is stated in writing in their warranty- but I guess you know better and your advice will help people on this site, right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

So are AC420s a worthwhile upgrade from some good ol' Ksyriums?

Superlite

by Superlite

Nope!

I had the 420's, and after selling them and ending up with the Ksyriums SSC SL 2's I made the best swap of parts ever.

Ksyriums are wat nicer then 420's. Trust me. :wink:

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Grr! What to buy then?! Want something new 'n fancy for my bike! Any suggestions would be good!

Wheels less than £900, clincher only 'n durable as Ksyriums.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Ksyriums and AC can't be compared. Nothing will touch Ksyriums in terms of durability at a reasonable light weight. Neither is there any competition for the CR-420 in terms of weight combined with awesome aerodynamics.

I have both and I like both. Even though my new Eurus for Shimano are the best mix of both worlds. Will sell the Ksyrium SLs now I saw the light - those Eurus are fantastic.

Superlite

by Superlite

Ksyriums and AC can't be compared. Nothing will touch Ksyriums in terms of durability at a reasonable light weight. Neither is there any competition for the CR-420 in terms of weight combined with awesome aerodynamics.

Ahhh, we both have them and seem to have the same thoughts of the wheelsets, we finally agree on something! :lol:

Yeah, the 420's are a bad ass wheel set for pure flatland speed and still maintain a lightweight for climbing, but the Ksyriums are so much stiffer, laterially, so when I climb I never have the rim touching the brake pads. Plus they are BOMB PROOF!!

Only other thing that sucks about the 420's is the little brake track, way too small, and reduces stopping power from my experiance over the Ksyriums large brake track.

C-40

by C-40

Only other thing that sucks about the 420's is the little brake track, way too small, and reduces stopping power from my experiance over the Ksyriums large brake track.[/quote]

So they don't stop very well plus they rub on the brakes when you climb and you think that those qualities make for a "bad ass" set of wheels?

Hey S-Lite- I am riding in your back yard on "Pedal the Peaks" next week with my new Reynolds Cirro SV's and when I get back I will let you know about "bad ass" wheels

Superlite

by Superlite

C-40 Wrote
So they don't stop very well plus they rub on the brakes when you climb and you think that those qualities make for a "bad ass" set of wheels?

Read my entire post.

Yeah, the 420's are a bad ass wheel set for pure flatland speed and still maintain a lightweight for climbing, but the Ksyriums are so much stiffer, laterially, so when I climb I never have the rim touching the brake pads. Plus they are BOMB PROOF!!

Only other thing that sucks about the 420's is the little brake track, way too small, and reduces stopping power from my experiance over the Ksyriums large brake track.

You would see that we have the same feelings for the 420's. Why you think I got rid of them and got Ksyriums? :welcome:

P.S.

I know your wheels are bad ass, you'll really enjoy them.

C-40

by C-40

Ever since I called AC and they were nasty to me on the phone I have been paying extreme attention to the postings regarding their products. Lots of bearing issues and what i might call engeneering/manufacturing defects. The Reynolds use White Industries hubs and I have yet to find an unhappy user. Besides, Chris @ Maclean Composites is the very best customer service person I have ever dealt with. I bought Tufos for the wheels based on forum feedback and Bold QR's and even thogh this is my third trip to ride in Colorado I can't wait to climb those monsters. First day is from Montrose and is 106 miles w/ 8,000 vertical- uggghhhhhh!!!!!

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

AC CR-420: 600,- EUR
Reynolds Stratus Clincher: >2000,- EUR

Go do the math and let me hear if you can compare the two. I would not rave about the quality of the rear hub though. ;)

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

P.S. Don't call the Ksyrium SLs bombproof until you've ridden the Campy Eurus.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Dr Dos, your comments about the AC rear hub are justified. I do not know if you have pried the hub apart, but it's greatest downfall is the large wire loop type spring which engages the hub's cam plate. If this wire loop is in anyway too long, too short, it may not engage the pawl mechanism. Of course, there is always the issue of breaking such a small part under load. I have experienced a failure of this part on a recent AC hub, and was left stranded with a cassette mechanism that freewheeled in both directions. Thankfully, AC warrantied it no questions asked.

Such a pity this flaw exists, as the pawl mechanism is a great design, but let down by a single point of failure - the engagement mechanism.

C-40, I am curious what AC said to you. I have found their customer service in the past (it's been over six months since I spoke with them last) to be great... perhaps things have changed?

C-40

by C-40

Dr.Dos wrote:AC CR-420: 600,- EUR
Reynolds Stratus Clincher: >2000,- EUR

Go do the math and let me hear if you can compare the two. I would not rave about the quality of the rear hub though. ;)

Read the post- What I bought was the Cirro SV- low profile tubular akin to the Zipp 202's and the Hyperons. check out the product on their website. Cost was 1250 usd- Still not 600 euros though. I guess you get what you pay for.

The poor customer service occured when i called and one of the owners picked up the phone and the conversation was about the warranty issue regarding the removal of stickers. Since removal voids warranty (this has been written about in this forum numerous times) I asked if they could just not put them on. She was obnoxious and told me that they would not and if I did they would be warranty-less. I hate being a moving billboard for companies, and based upon all of the complaints here about AC, I would not risk not having a warranty........so I bought the Reynolds wheels and could not be happier!!