Black bike 8)- Update 9/30/07

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Oh, and any comments on the proprietary rear hub design? Has anyone had problems with it, and is it difficult to get serviced?

drjones96

by drjones96

Newsflash:

Old frame weighed 1455g.....New frame weighed 1420g. So I lost 35g there.

Also when I switched from my EA70 (144g) to my 4-Axis (125g) I lost about 20g there.

Net weight loss 55g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

spokey1.0 wrote:Oh, and any comments on the proprietary rear hub design? Has anyone had problems with it, and is it difficult to get serviced?

Proprietary rear hub design? It's got White Industries internals. Very easily servicable. While I was at bikemessenger's he took mine apart to show me how easy it was. There are three small countersunk allen head set screws on the non-drive side. You just losen them slightly and slide the axle out (Cassette and all) through the drive side. Pretty darned cool IMHO.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

On the Rolf website, they show some kind of unusual hub flange: here's what the site says:

Vigor wheel systems orbit around a proprietary hub designed and manufactured in the USA. Patented Differential Flange Diameter™ on the rear hub lends a mechanical advantage effectively doubling the number of functional pulling spokes; increasing wheel durability. Black, CNC machined hub shells with oversized axles provide high strength, stiffness and light weight. Optimized flange contours provide full spoke elbow support, increasing spoke life. Hubs also feature precision cartridge bearings with low drag supplementary contact seals and bearing preload adjustment on both front and rear hub shells.

Is the hub servicable independet of this flange?

drjones96

by drjones96

spokey1.0 wrote:On the Rolf website, they show some kind of unusual hub flange: here's what the site says:

Vigor wheel systems orbit around a proprietary hub designed and manufactured in the USA. Patented Differential Flange Diameter™ on the rear hub lends a mechanical advantage effectively doubling the number of functional pulling spokes; increasing wheel durability. Black, CNC machined hub shells with oversized axles provide high strength, stiffness and light weight. Optimized flange contours provide full spoke elbow support, increasing spoke life. Hubs also feature precision cartridge bearings with low drag supplementary contact seals and bearing preload adjustment on both front and rear hub shells.

Is the hub servicable independet of this flange?

You also won't find any info about them using Sapim spokes and the same basic rim disign as the CR-420 either but the hub internals and hub body is all made by White Industries. The hub flange is just part of the hub body. That's all they are refering to. Just the overall design of the flanges. Yeah they're serviceable independent of these flanges.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Thanks again for the great info Dr. Jones, I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a pair of Rolf's before too long. Oh, and your bike is great...I've got a matte black CAAD 8 myself. If you're ever in the DC area, let me know and we'll ride.

drjones96

by drjones96

spokey1.0 wrote:Thanks again for the great info Dr. Jones, I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a pair of Rolf's before too long. Oh, and your bike is great...I've got a matte black CAAD 8 myself. If you're ever in the DC area, let me know and we'll ride.

Same to you. If you're ever in FTW let me know.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

I was actually born and raised in San Antonio and will be there in a couple of weeks. We'll see if I have my road bike with me or not...

drjones96

by drjones96

Juanmoretime wrote:....you may want to look at a KMCX10SL chain when yours needs replacing.

Got it. Nice chain!

STARNUT

by STARNUT

drjones96 wrote:spokey- I like the Vigors. They are great for the sort of terrain that I ride on. Flat for the most part with rolling hills. When you spin them up you just cruise! For example the group tonight made a stop to wait for stragglers. When we started going again I started at the rear of the pack and we weren't very organized when we started going again. I was able to spin up and shoot to the front of the dragging rear pack and pull us up to the front group. I don't think it would have been as easy as with my Velomax curcuit wheels or my CXP21 build that was stock on my bike. I've just not done that successfully on them.

The White Industries manufactured hubs are excellent. Very smooth. I think if I ever have bikemessenger build me a set it'll either have White hubs or Tune's.

I don't like them for climbing! Sorry but they just don't do it for me in that respect. Any time I hit a significant incline they just suck. When you stand up and start cranking you can feel the flex (I can anyway). But really this is their only downfall. So if you're riding on terrain similar to mine they are great!

The rim profile is 34mm. Mine weighed in at 1500g with the rim strip installed. I estimate they were 1475g without the rim strip but I didn't bother taking the rim strip off when I got them because I liked the rim strip they come with. Very Nice Skewers also. I think they are titanium shafted...not sure. They weigh about 85g for the pair. There is now a Vigor SL that's a little bit lighter. I think it's got CX-RAY spokes instead of the CX's like mine have. They also have the option of having black spokes now too which I wish I had :( oh well.

Would I buy them again. Yeah. I got mine on ebay for $575 BNIB with build sheet and all. Hard to pass up.

I'll have to second the good Dr on this one. The Vigors are fast and resonably light but stiff they are not. I'm a fairly light guy, 140lbs and I can get them to flex (makes a horrible noise) climbing. Around here all we have is climbing, climbing, climbing, oh and some more climbing. All of my rides are out and back, save for a long loop I do twice a week, plus they all go above 8500 feet, some much above. On descents the wheels are fine. At 55 and 60 mph they don't give all that much and the don't hop or seem unbalanced. The rear flex is kind of annoying. I'm a sit and spin climber with an occasional stand and get the pace up. When I stand they sing. I've been useing my mavic rear and the vigor front. However.......the wife bought me some zipps for our anniversey, so......
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

drjones96

by drjones96

I painted the fork to match the frame. In case you wanted to know PPG DP90LF no-sanding primer is nearly a perfect match for this frame. Then I went down to my friendly sign company and had some silver Easton decals made for....$1 :D. They're working on the wheel decals right now. Could be a while on those due to the complexity (and also they went on vacation this week so...)
Also put the KMC X10SL on there. Cool chain.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Looks great Dr. So you just painted over the fork and it came out fine? I like the silver decal idea too. What's it going to take for some new pedals? :lol: Do you have a birthday coming up for a "new" gift from the wife? :D

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Dr jones, how big ol' boy are ya'? That frame looks really big and you have some stem there too. I'm 5'11-6'0 foot and the orbea dosen't look that big. At any rate............nice ride. new pics are mandatory with new stickers. You need and "ELS" sticker right new the head tube.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

drjones96

by drjones96

@Captain Wilier - First I wet sanded the clearcoat and decals off with 400 grit sand paper. The clear coat is pretty thin on these. And while I was at it I took a grinder to the "lawyer tabs". Then we sprayed the DP90LF on there (2 light coats). There was a bit of what we call orange peel so I wet sanded it with 1000 grit and then buffed it with a dual action mini buffer to give it a not quite glossy finish.

Pedals? Well christmas is just around the corner :wink:

@STARNUT - I'm a tall skinny dude 6'2" with weight ranging between 145-155lbs typically. It's a 60cm with a 120mm stem.

ELS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jalapeno

by jalapeno

it's looking very good, the zero-gravity 'industrial look' really goes with the frame.
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com