Black bike 8)- Update 9/30/07

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

drjones96

by drjones96

Ok I finally got done building up my bike. Did everything but the headset installation myself. The only thing I've changed from my previous build is the frame (obviously) and the stem (Ritchey 4-Axis with graphics removed)

I'm planning to paint the fork flat black to match the frame and having a silver easton logo made.

I'm going to peel the decals off the wheels and see if I can replace them with some silver outlined letters 'Rolf Vigor' in the same style as what is already on there.

The red pedals? Touchy subject cuz my wife bought them for christmas for me one year. I'll "wear them out" somehow....soon. :lol: I'll probably get some Speedplay Zero's next.

ZeroG cranks would look good on there and brakes too.
Attachments
IMG_0039_B.jpg
Last edited by drjones96 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

I wouldnt be too worried about the pedals - need at least some colour in that black hole bike of yours...but thats one nice stealth bike though DrJones, keep it up :D

You could also change the highlighting to a red colour rather than silver on the wheels and forks if youw anted to keep the pedals as well, but since they look like looks...ditch em (I'm kidding :))

Should look good with the silver lettering though

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I could probably make some decals for you as well but they are somewhat expensive to produce. email me if you like.

Yeah Zero G's would look great on your bike.
carbonLORD.com

Skunk

by Skunk

I love your BMC carbonlord :shock:

drjones96

by drjones96

Skunk wrote:I love your BMC carbonlord :shock:

INDEED!
(This is the sort of look I was going for.)

Luc

by Luc

@ carbonLORD : huge bike...tall boy ??

:shock:

(stealth & splendid !!)
Pollice verso.

drjones96

by drjones96

Juanmoretime wrote:DrJ, very nice job.I like the look besides the Zero Gravity bits you may want to look at a KMCX10SL chain when yours needs replacing. Have you had a chance to get some riding on it? Was going down a size frame a good move? Also could you post a build list? Please post a ride report!

Funny story about the frame size. It's the same size as my last frame :lol: Well that's ebay for you. The guy honestly thought it was a 58cm. I thought it was too when I was measuring it up out of the box. But when I started holding it up to my red frame it was exactly the same size :shock: So I flipped it over to look at the bottom of the BB shell and sure enough it had "60" stamped into it. Oh well. I've ridden a 60 all this time and it's done fine for me so may as well keep on riding it. I got a longer stem to compensate for a 58cm. My last stem was about a 2cm too short regardless. My stock red C-dale had a 110mm to start with and in my inexperience thought that was just WAY too long and dropped back to a 90mm :shock: . That was silly. I should have just gotten another 110mm. I'm a lot more stretched out on the bike than I used to be; flatter back, more aero, etc. My new WCS 4-Axis is a 120mm....which is probably 1cm too long.....hmmm....so I moved the saddle forward by 1cm.

1st ride. Pretty much exactly like my other frame....SURPRISE! :shock: :lol: I just took it around the block late last night to make sure I got the adjustments right on the deraileurs and to make sure I got everything tightened down. Nothing like going down the road full bore and having your brakes fall off or something because you were too careless to make sure everything was snug. There is one BIG difference. The stem changed the handling back to what I remember it being like with the 110mm stem. Nice and smooth as opposed to quick and jerky. The 1cm forward move on the saddle didn't seem to have a noticable effect on me. Tonight is my tuesday night group ride so I'll see how she handles in the pack. I'll bet it's better.

Boonen

by Boonen

Very nice drjones :D I think it's turning out very nicely and agree that some 0G bits would match the rest of the bike very well. I think painting the front fork will match the frame and sounds like a good idea, would be nice if you can have some matching decals made for it as well.

Enjoy the ride 8)

drjones96

by drjones96

Skillgannon wrote:I wouldnt be too worried about the pedals - need at least some colour in that black hole bike of yours...but thats one nice stealth bike though DrJones, keep it up :D

You could also change the highlighting to a red colour rather than silver on the wheels and forks if you wanted to keep the pedals as well, but since they look like looks...ditch em (I'm kidding :))

I've been thinking about trying some Speedplays for a while now and have heard great things about the Zero's. It's just that my wife would yell at me if I tossed my ye old heavy Look's in the parts bin. :lol:

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Luc wrote:@ carbonLORD : huge bike...tall boy ??

:shock:

(stealth & splendid !!)

Well, for cycling I suppose I am on the taller side (6'3") but BMC makes some really akward sizing (at least on the older SLT 01's). Would you believe thats a 57cm frame! 57 cm! I usually ride a 59+, but all of the reviews suggested going smaller on BMC's and I studied their geometry on their web site more thoroughly then a med student does his finals, and am glad I did.

Since that pic, I changed the forks to match the matte natural weave finish of the frame, same with the seat post but also cut the steer tube and have only a small 1/8th" spacer instead of the stack in that image (plus I flipped the stem so its lower as well).

I took that pic the same day I built the bike last October, but its really dialed in now and I need to get some more images of it. At 15.5lbs as pictured and as responsive and wonderful looking as it is, I have no regrets, no regrets at all.

Cheers!

[img]http://carbonlord.com/Bike/BMC_Collar.jpg][/img]

Image[/list]
carbonLORD.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Ride Report:
OK went out for a 32mile sorta fast group ride. Right away I noticed a difference in stability. So smooth compared to before. I rode with my Vigor wheels. I hadn't ridden with them this year yet. I had forgotten how much faster they are than my other wheels. So with the added stability and quicker wheels I rode pretty strong.

Issues to correct:
Stupidly I threaded the front brake cable wrong so that when I started to rotate the bars to the right it put the rear brake cable in a bind and forced the rear caliper to close....oops. Easy fix. Rear Deraileur was slightly out of adjustment (that was annoying). Saddle points nose up where before I had it ever so slightly nose down (also annoying and awkward).

KB

by KB

Doc - Go for those changes you suggested, it will make an already nice bike even better. What Carbonlord has done with his bike is ab-fab. Wonderful.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Dr. Jones, how would you describe the added "speed" of the Vigors over your other wheels (what are your other wheels, by the way)? I've been eyeing up a pair of Vigors for a long while now and just might pull the trigger with the right review from you:) I'm on Kysrium Elite's now, and would like something more aero. How tall are the Vigor's profile?

drjones96

by drjones96

spokey- I like the Vigors. They are great for the sort of terrain that I ride on. Flat for the most part with rolling hills. When you spin them up you just cruise! For example the group tonight made a stop to wait for stragglers. When we started going again I started at the rear of the pack and we weren't very organized when we started going again. I was able to spin up and shoot to the front of the dragging rear pack and pull us up to the front group. I don't think it would have been as easy as with my Velomax curcuit wheels or my CXP21 build that was stock on my bike. I've just not done that successfully on them.

The White Industries manufactured hubs are excellent. Very smooth. I think if I ever have bikemessenger build me a set it'll either have White hubs or Tune's.

I don't like them for climbing! Sorry but they just don't do it for me in that respect. Any time I hit a significant incline they just suck. When you stand up and start cranking you can feel the flex (I can anyway). But really this is their only downfall. So if you're riding on terrain similar to mine they are great!

The rim profile is 34mm. Mine weighed in at 1500g with the rim strip installed. I estimate they were 1475g without the rim strip but I didn't bother taking the rim strip off when I got them because I liked the rim strip they come with. Very Nice Skewers also. I think they are titanium shafted...not sure. They weigh about 85g for the pair. There is now a Vigor SL that's a little bit lighter. I think it's got CX-RAY spokes instead of the CX's like mine have. They also have the option of having black spokes now too which I wish I had :( oh well.

Would I buy them again. Yeah. I got mine on ebay for $575 BNIB with build sheet and all. Hard to pass up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Dr. Jones - thanks for all of the info, very useful. I am a bit worried about being able to flex the wheels while mashing gears. I'm by no means big (5'9", 160 lbs.), but I like to crush a good sprint every now and then. As far as climbing, I live in DC, and am not the greatest climber to begin with, so I don't see that being a big problem. You've got quite a size advantage on me, so maybe there wouldn't be such a flex problem for me. That, and I'd have a hefty 300 gram weight savings over the K Elites...tempting. I LOVE the idea of spinning the wheels up to speed and having them maintain speed. I do a lot of fast group rides and this sounds like just what I need.