Sandpaper and Anodized Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ras11

by ras11

I built up a set of Velocity aerohead rims with DT revs and SplineDrive Al nipples. The rims are black anodized. After a few hundred miles of dirt and breaking wear, the side walls are getting a little worn and ugly. I wonder if anyone has taken sandpaper and rubbed off the breaking surface anodized area. I'm not talking about removing structural material, just the surface coloring. Can anyone think of a reason not to do this?

I know the American Classic 420s also have anodized side walls. Despite what is shown on their web site. If I get a pair, I'd like to know ahead of time if I can sand off the surface or not.

BTW, the sales guy at AC told me they might sell the 420s with Sapim Cx-rays in the future. Maybe if you dudes are interested, you should send them an email and let them know that is something you'd be willing to pay extra for.

Their email:
sales@amclassic.com
:-) Toys-R-Us

MantraPro

by MantraPro

The future is now :wink: I already have a set of 420s with Sapim CX Ray, and they have been available for some time now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ras11

by ras11

that's funny. I just got an email from the AC sales guy today. He must have gone for a long hard ride before he replied to my email, no blood left brain. :-) But maybe that's a Denmark thing. Like you noted before, you can buy the rims seperate there. :?:

ras11

by ras11

ok, my girlfriend is nuts... :evil: i'm going to go to the hardware store tonight, buy some sandpaper and take my fustrations out on my rims.

I'll try and post the results on Monday.

MantraPro

by MantraPro

It hasn't been a problem (yet) on mine CR420, the surface is worn and not as good lokking as new, but the braking is still good.
I don't think there is any problem in removing the surface in the braking area, just don't removed to much !!

Cyco

by Cyco

The worn area on the bracking track is from having the anodisation worn off, so sanding off the rest of the anodisation shouldn't be a problem.

In terms of not removing structural material, you will be doing this, just like you do every time you hit the brakes.

Anodising is the process of increasing the depth of the oxidised surface for an increase in strength (it just so happens this can be died).

As you apply the brake the rims wear away, and once the anodisation is gone from the brake track the brakes will stop you faster (softer surface), but will also wear the rim faster.

Enjoy the sanding.

PNuT

by PNuT

oven cleaner removes anodising

ras11

by ras11

I rubbed and I rubbed... I've never rubbed anything so hard before.. And many hours later.. I was done. (hey, it's not that kind of web site, :twisted: , get out of the gutter)

Anyway, the rims look like brand new now. No ugly wear marks.

I would recommend 220 grit sand paper. And go with the direction of the rim, don't go perpendicular (sp?). A sanding block didn't help. I kept a wet cloth around to clean up the Al dust.

This method is likely good for smoothing rough weld joints also.

I doubt there is any weight savings here. But style is important when your bike costs more then your car. :D

Sorry, my digital camera is not working. It looks as you would expect. like machined side walls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com