Armstrongs new bike! Holy S@#!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobalou

by bobalou

Bruiser wrote:
bobalou wrote:I tell you something else about the Giants, no small thing, they've got probably the best warranty service of all the manufacturer's, at least in the US. I've seen frames replaced no questions asked and within a weeks time.

ROFL.

Sounds like the Aust and US Giant reps are very different. Warrenty and product service is one of the reasons I steered away from Giant. I had to threaten them with legal action before they would inspect the frame (out contracted rep had told me my 99 frame was >9 years old).

C-40, look over the number of responses re:welding finishes. I think the participation in this thread speaks for itself.

Giants are prolific here in the US.. there's just tons of them, but the vast majority of their sales aren't their high end bikes like the tcr's and certainly not the composites. They've got a big dealership presence and I think that's the key. I can understand why some people don't like Giants (i.e., big taiwan conglomerate) but I think it's the reason why their high end bikes are such a good deal - they spread their costs over their entire model range. Their business model here in the US has to provide good warrenty coverage - and since they're so prolific, it's not hard for them to do so. That's interesting that (at least in your experience) in Aust. it's very different.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

As far as enjoying my bike the quality of finish is more important to me. Fortunatly the finish and the quality are usually related (as is the price tag).

I ride a lump-a-lead for training and the switch foir raceday means I appreciate anything. I found a good comprimise with my CR1.

Brian

P.S I consider myself a practical WW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

They sent me a 44 as a replacement (I had a 51) and most shops I speak to are amazed I got anything.

I agree Giant are prolific, and that is my third reason I didn't buy a Giant, no-one pays attention to a TCR cause it's just another TCR, whereas with my CR1 gets the attention of nearly everyone (inc. cat 1&2 riders).
Attachments
Giant Break smaller.jpg

bobalou

by bobalou

Well, at least it didn't break at the weld (LOL). This thread actually has about three sub-threads. I will say that Giant won't replace (been told by the LBS) a frame broken in a race. How did that frame crack??

Bruiser

by Bruiser

In a race :roll:
The surface where we race is terrible. The break started at the weld.

MTBs are more popular than roadies in Aus, few people buy a Giant road bike unless they are racing. But that said TCR's are very common and I questioned their product support.

bobalou

by bobalou

Well then.. you are lucky they replaced it. Even though it was with a 44. :idea:Of course, I don't think I would tell a rep I broke the frame in a race.

BTW, what the heck is a 44 .. sounds like a bike for a kid!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I'm not overly tall, but yeah it is.

uphillisgood

by uphillisgood

Superlite wrote:Here is the finished weld, looks very nice to me.

Superlite,

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news - :wink: - but the photo posted by Ye Olde Balde One is how a very high quality aluminum weld should look.

Cannondale's work is unfortunately not anywhere near that quality... which of course is no direct reflection on the weight of their frames or how they work.

Superlite

by Superlite

you will never see a c'dale weld because they grind them away. they use a dynafile to file smooth all their welds.

if you did see a raw c'dale weld, you would puke. the use mig welders and pile up multi pass turkey poop knowing they will grind and paint.

it works and that all that matters.

You guys are probly right about the welds, but nicrump said it best. Not like the different welds are the difference between crap and the best.

Joel

by Joel

... and the whole thread started with Armstrong's new rig :roll:

Cyco

by Cyco

The nicest polished Al weld I hace seen are on Casatis (don't have a digital camera to take pics), but the raw welds posted by YOBO are exellent examples of untouched Al beads.

In Australia the race entry forms a colleted by the Giant distributor and if you are making a warrenty claim and are on any start lists they request that you prove that the Giant was not raced, or warrenty will not be valid.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

The Reaper

by The Reaper

I seem to have a major problem, i bought one of those Trek Mad Ones ,changed afew parts and now the stupid thing is under 6.8 Kg. So do i lie about the weight :?: or fill the tubes with lead ,i think i might just trade it in on a Pinnarello there obviously heavier than a Mad-One by the way they climb in the Tour

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Back on topic:

cyclingnews.com wrote:Another revelation: Bruyneel made it sound like Lance has given up on his prototype Trek time trial bike, at least the one that has been featured on The Lance Chronicles documentary and on the Trek web site. "He is using a new time trial bike. I didn't say the new time trial bike," Bruyneel offered.

Superlite

by Superlite

Another revelation: Bruyneel made it sound like Lance has given up on his prototype Trek time trial bike, at least the one that has been featured on The Lance Chronicles documentary and on the Trek web site. "He is using a new time trial bike. I didn't say the new time trial bike," Bruyneel offered.

Old news

He said he wasn't going to ride the new TT bike for over a month now. He doesn't like the geomrty and his new posistion. Keeping the old.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Superlite: "Keeping the old."

Bruyneel: "He is using a new time trial bike."

Hmm. :?:

P.S:
Superlite wrote:Old news

Why do you want to make anyone look like an idiot?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com