Extralite Ultrastar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lemmy999

by lemmy999

I just received my Extralite Ultrastar in the mail yesterday for my EC90 SLX fork. It doesn't look anything like the pictures I have seen of it. The 2 middle parts that screw together look the same, but instead of a rubber piece with two rubber o-rings, it is an aluminum piece with two rubber o-rings. And the o-rings look smaller. It looks like every other compression plug (but just without the top cap and bolt). This is what I thought it would look like:

http://www.extralite.com/Products/compo ... _anglo.htm

When did they change them? It still weighs 8-9grams.
Last edited by lemmy999 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clingenpeel

by clingenpeel

I purchased one about 2 weeks ago, and it was NOT like the pic on the web, but as you describe. There was a a thread on this site about not being able to get them tight (they where slipping when trying to compress the headset), which I experienced also. But, as someone in the other thread mentioned, I was able to get it tight enough to allow me to get the compression screw tight enough for the headset to be secure.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

In the picture you posted the black piece that looks like it is plastic or rubber is actually alloy.

iubike

by iubike

Is it the correct weight? If so then who cares.

K

lemmy999

by lemmy999

Yes it is the correct weight, but I had read that many had problems with the ec90 SLX and most plugs wouldn't work with it. The Ultrastar was one of the few that would, and then when I got it, it looked different than every picture I had seen of the Ultrastar. I just wanted to make sure I had the right thing. Weight may be important, but functionality is much more important....if it wasn't I would have just used the beartrap.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The picture is the old version. Post a picture of yours, and I'll let you know if it's the new one. If you can't post a pic of yours, I can put up a pic of the new one later today when I get a chance.

lemmy999

by lemmy999

I will post a picture later today when I get home.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

This is what my Ultrastar looks like:

Attachments
Extralite Ultra01 800x600hp.JPG
Extralite Ultrastarbolt01 800x600hp.JPG

lemmy999

by lemmy999

That is the way mine looks. Even with it at the smallest setting, it is going to be a tight fit in the EC90 SLX. I can't imagine having any problems with the Ultrastar slipping as tighten the headset. Others have said the inside of the steerer was slick, but mine is fairly rough.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

That is the new one.

On some forks we have reduced the thickness of the outer plates and removed the o rings to get it to fit, you may have to do that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com