Lightweight wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Lightweight wheelset.... look like I can´t stop myself from buying a set of 20/20´s, so where in Europe is the best place to buy?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

From manufacturer, of course.

http://www.carbonsports.de

You sure get date whenn you have them and price is same. Remember to order brake pads same time!

I'm still wondering when I'm getting my ones since there is dealer between me and factory. Mistake made...I hope end of this month. The reason was bad habit to get all parts same time. But this must end if this order sucks more. I buy bike parts between 10 000-20 000€/year so IF EVERY time something sucks...money and time wasted and nerves are bit stressed.

I'm getting also 20/20 but since order I have been thinking 16/20...but I Jan is ok even in TT and Jala,Lance, Pantani etc. used 20 spokes in front (2003') why not me? I weight nearly 85kg...

Waiting my own is killing me...

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Samu Ilonen wrote:From manufacturer, of course.

http://www.carbonsports.de

You sure get date whenn you have them and price is same. Remember to order brake pads same time!

I'm still wondering when I'm getting my ones since there is dealer between me and factory. Mistake made...I hope end of this month. The reason was bad habit to get all parts same time. But this must end if this order sucks more. I buy bike parts between 10 000-20 000€/year so IF EVERY time something sucks...money and time wasted and nerves are bit stressed.

I'm getting also 20/20 but since order I have been thinking 16/20...but I Jan is ok even in TT and Jala,Lance, Pantani etc. used 20 spokes in front (2003') why not me? I weight nearly 85kg...

Waiting my own is killing me...

5 months delivery time.... oh well I can order them at the end of this season and I´ll have saved up the cash...

spytech

by spytech

you can also order from http://www.starbike.com/ which is the host for this forum, would be nice to support them :wink:

i dont know if the wait time would be shorter or longer, check them out.

blacia

by blacia

I have been riding the ADA carbon wheels from Cees Beers. I know there is a great amount of controversy as to who actually came up with the design and who can actually claim that their wheels have been riden to victory by many of the top pros, but from my findings ADA wheels are at least lighter than the "Lightweight" of Germany wheels. I am very pleased with the ADA wheels since i put them on my bike in mid March 04. if anyone wants a good pair of wheels and if cost is no option, i would consider the ADA wheels. i would also like to get feedback from riders with the "Lightweight" wheels to compare.

cadence90

by cadence90

blacia wrote: [snip] i would consider the ADA wheels. i would also like to get feedback from riders with the "Lightweight" wheels to compare.

That horse has been beaten so much on this forum it's completely out of true.... :wink:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

spytech

by spytech

blacia wrote:I have been riding the ADA carbon wheels from Cees Beers. I know there is a great amount of controversy as to who actually came up with the design and who can actually claim that their wheels have been riden to victory by many of the top pros, but from my findings ADA wheels are at least lighter than the "Lightweight" of Germany wheels. I am very pleased with the ADA wheels since i put them on my bike in mid March 04. if anyone wants a good pair of wheels and if cost is no option, i would consider the ADA wheels. i would also like to get feedback from riders with the "Lightweight" wheels to compare.

from everything i have heard and read, the lightweight wheels are stiffer. yes the ada might be 150 grams lighter, but i think carbonsports is working on making them lighter while maintaining the same amount of stiffness and durability.

i think you have to make a choice, if you want stiffness go with lightweight, if you want to save another 150g and dont mind losing stiffness go with ada, but i think you have alot of other choices, that are in the same stiffness as the ada but cost much less $$$$, like reynolds. :idea:

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

a set of ADA wheels just sold on Ebay for $1,200!!!! I lost the bid by a few hundred. First time I have ever seen ADA wheels on ebay, they were only used for 100 miles........wish I would have got them

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

cyclemanpat wrote:a set of ADA wheels just sold on Ebay for $1,200!!!! I lost the bid by a few hundred. First time I have ever seen ADA wheels on ebay, they were only used for 100 miles........wish I would have got them

$ 1200. Thats only...... 960 euro's :shock:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

spytech wrote:
blacia wrote:I have been riding the ADA carbon wheels from Cees Beers. I know there is a great amount of controversy as to who actually came up with the design and who can actually claim that their wheels have been riden to victory by many of the top pros, but from my findings ADA wheels are at least lighter than the "Lightweight" of Germany wheels. I am very pleased with the ADA wheels since i put them on my bike in mid March 04. if anyone wants a good pair of wheels and if cost is no option, i would consider the ADA wheels. i would also like to get feedback from riders with the "Lightweight" wheels to compare.

from everything i have heard and read, the lightweight wheels are stiffer. yes the ada might be 150 grams lighter, but i think carbonsports is working on making them lighter while maintaining the same amount of stiffness and durability.

i think you have to make a choice, if you want stiffness go with lightweight, if you want to save another 150g and dont mind losing stiffness go with ada, but i think you have alot of other choices, that are in the same stiffness as the ada but cost much less $$$$, like reynolds. :idea:

I would definitly choose stiffness over weightsaving but that´s just because I´m a heavy rider. Does anyone here in the forum own a set of Lightweights? How many miles have you done on them and how are they holding up?

rico

by rico

As you know I raced mine last weekend (and crashed in the sprint... :( )

Having owned previous carbon tubular wheels before (Corima) I was worried about the braking, but it was absolutely perfect (with Shimano carbon pads). The wheels performed flawlessly and were a joy to ride.

They also held up extremely well in the crash and are perfectly true. I'm very pleased I chose them.

rico

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Having owned previous carbon tubular wheels before (Corima)

What set of Corima's did you own and how do they compare to the Lightweights? From what I know and hear the Lightweights are in a league of their own, but what I really want to know is if the extra $$$ (a lot of $$$) is worth it. (really really really worth it :wink: )

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

You could just buy the set on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 53323&rd=1

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Rogue_M3 wrote:You could just buy the set on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 53323&rd=1

hmmmmm looks almost too goog to be true....

J xl

by J xl

I own a pair of 20/20 lightweights. Think they are great but only for racing and only if you can afford buying a new wheel after every crash. My advice if you really want them order a pair of new ones at Carbon sports since there are loads of these wheels in "grey" circuit with unknown history.
Last since these wheels can need truing!! (officially this isn't possible but they managed to fix mine under guarantee), so you need an official purchase bill since if you haven't your wheels might become worthless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com