Caffine and Endurance

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Has anyone else tried caffine on race day to improve their endurance?

I don't drink coffee or tea so the amount required for me is very small.

What experience have other members had?

Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

Haven't tried it.

I had heard, though, that a cup of coffee in the morning just before exercise was helpful.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

My dose is less than 1 espresso btu my total lack of caffine means it has an impact. It's not huge but I could feel it last time I tried.

bobalou

by bobalou

Caffeine will be expelled from your system over time so you have to injest it more then just before the ride. It will improve performance .. some energy goo's and bars have caffeine in them.

I do endurance riding and for the riding I do (all day) I find that caffeine will help, especially after many hours (6-7) in the saddle when you still have another 6 or 7 to go. I think it's important to take it with food or other carbs in order to avoid getting to jittery. :scared:

88a

by 88a

Hi all. I'm new here; I just discovered your forum, and I had to add my two cents to this topic.

In clinical studies, caffeine has been shown to help endurance-type performance in those who are unaccustomed to it. But since our bodies adapt to it, the user must take more and more to achieve the same effect. (Spriet, L.L. 1995. Caffeine and performance. Int. J. Sport Nutr. 5:S84-S99.) Once you start upping the dose, any stimulant is going to be bad for your heart. Moreover, Caffeine is a diuretic which will exacerbate dehydration. My advice is to stick to a healthy diet (perhaps including a cup of coffee or two) and forget the supplements, other than, say, some good Belgian chocolates.[/i]

Bruiser

by Bruiser

They're good points, but what about the person who never liked the taste of tea or coffee?

I don't have a morning addiction. Caffeine is more potent and I only race once a week.

Has anyone else been experienting with caffeine?

Tippster

by Tippster

A Product called "Pro-Plus" delivers an amount of Caffeine equal to 6 cups of coffee. It comes in tablet form.

Student's typically use it to stay awake late cramming for exams!

Caffeine is a stimulant, but your body already produces a very good stimulant adrenaline!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I found some info at:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0652.htm

I'll work with smaller doses before I try Pro-Plus. My current dose is equivilant to half a cup of coffee. I've heard the optimal dose is between 3 and 6mg per kg of bady mass.

Brian

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

I would drink ginger tea after train ride to prevent flu and fever. I would drink ginger tea before the race and it really perform my endurance. The drink taste really bad but it improve your work rate and u feel hardworking. but avoid cold coffee and tea. cheers
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

Bill F

by Bill F

At some Ironman distance races Cola products are provided on the run portion of the event. The benifit is the sodium, sugar and of course the caffeine. I have heard of some atheletes reducing/terminating their caffeine intake during training and use it during racing only to get the full benifit from it. I have also heard that 6 cups of strong coffee at an Olympic event could cause a drug test failure for an athelete.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Bill F wrote: I have also heard that 6 cups of strong coffee at an Olympic event could cause a drug test failure for an athelete.

But not only olympics.

It is true!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Depending on your body weight.
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0652.htm goes into the issue in more detail.

Brian

gentri

by gentri

Quite interesting to find out that there are athletes that doesn't take caffeine and take it only during competition. I am a coffee person and i have to have my 2 cups in the morning. On the other hand, when training i prefer not too have the extra caffeine. Once in a while I take GU with caffeine, the package indicates to take certain amounts every q 30. I've only done this a few times and really didn't notice any changes in my results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com