Spoke pricing :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

:evil:

What is the deal with spoke pricing? Specifically CX-Rays and Aerolites are nothing more than 2/1.5/2 double butted spokes that have been flattened but charging $3+ per spoke sounds excessive. And then all I can find are the faddish black spokes. Its just 18/8 stainless steel wire from vacuum deoxidized processing, not 6/4 Ti.

I remember my last wheel building where Revolutions were going for $0.75 bare and I thought that was a steep price. Then some shady retailer tried to sneak in a few 14/15 DB's in with the Revolutions.

Anybody know where I can get some Aerolites or CX-Rays in 280, 273 and 262 mm lengths? I need 22 of the longer ones and 16 of the other two. Thanks!

WL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weiwentg

by weiwentg

they're much cheaper. not as strong, but nearly as light and also a very low profile. they're (iirc) 2.2x1.2mm as opposed to 2.3x0.9mm. and Wheelsmith has a new spoke called the XE15, which is a 14/16 spoke that's been flattened (AE15 is a 15/something that's been flattened). see www.oddsandendos.com

Edit: fixed the link. I left a . in at the end.
Last edited by weiwentg on Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

teutscher

by teutscher

maybe that way:
the guy above wrote:Wheelsmith has a new spoke called the XE15, which is a 14/16 spoke that's been flattened (AE15 is a 15/something that's been flattened) and they're much cheaper. not as strong, but nearly as light and also a very low profile. they're (iirc) 2.2x1.2mm as opposed to 2.3x0.9mm.
(?)

otherwise it seems, you're talking of two different spokes, are you?

link doesn't work - only for me ?

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

I see there is a 10% tarrif on spokes imported into the US but still that does not explain the obscene price differential. Wheelsmith, are you listening?

Thanks for the link! That wheelbuilder has some great stuff. Sure, his light hub has a 35 gram penalty over the AC hub but its higher quality product. Perfect light training hub.

weiwentg

by weiwentg

weiwentg wrote:they're much cheaper. not as strong, but nearly as light and also a very low profile. they're (iirc) 2.2x1.2mm as opposed to 2.3x0.9mm. and Wheelsmith has a new spoke called the XE15, which is a 14/16 spoke that's been flattened (AE15 is a 15/something that's been flattened). see www.oddsandendos.com

Edit: fixed the link. I left a . in at the end.

argh! I guess I managed to fudge my post quite badly. I meant this: Wheelsmith makes 2 spokes, the AE15 (15/16/15 flattened) and XE14 (14/16/14 flattened) that would be good alternatives to the Sapim CX-ray and the DT aerolite. the AE15s sell around $.60 a spoke at Odds and Endos. the XE14s sell for $1.34 a spoke. use the latter on the driveside. I have experience with the AE15s, and they are good. the XE14s, I do not know, but I soon will.

teutscher

by teutscher

sapim cx-ray 1.80€/1.90€ (silver/black) per spoke including al-nipple at gypzybikz - still a slap in the face but the lowest price i know

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Sapim CX-ray for € 1,65 (silver) / € 2,65 (black) @ Salden here in Holland.
http://www.salden.nl/winkel/race/index2.html
Go to wheels, race, handgemaakt (hand-made).
Shipping is about € 20-25 outside Holland, which is quite a lot for just getting some spokes, but they have some decent prices on other stuff as well.

divve

by divve

Salden indeed has good prices. I only don't quite know what to think about those guys. They don't answer emails or even pick up the phone....if you buy anything that requires support or warranty I'm pretty sure you can forget it, unless you pay a personal visit to their shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com