TOP SECRET WHEEL INFORMATION!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

a guest of some kind

by a guest of some kind

American Classic must be loving this free publicity...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Just got my hands on a set of the CR350, actual weight is 530g front, 760g rear, so 1290g total. Pretty light stuff.

by guest

American Classic is how their spokes are non proprietary... I haven't ridden a set of those Topolino wheels, but I imagine those spokes (an entire half) would be pricey to replace. AC is using DT Revos and Comp spokes, which are easy to obtain. And, of course the 350s are way lighter both in weight and damage to the wallet... I do like my set :)

Skid

by Skid

does the rear rim of the new cr350 have off center drilling?

Superlite

by Superlite

No. Both rims are standard.

by Guest

I have a set of the AM cr 350's...f-24 spokes; 551g, r-32 spokes;792 g. total set 1343 g!!! Very nice. these are the new 23mm rims. smooth, fast and light...

by Guest

I meant AC (american classic), not AM

Superlite

by Superlite

You have the new CR350 Set?

Superlite

by Superlite

Check out these bad boys from FSA. First pic is sub 1400g clincher wheelset, next pic of new tubular carbon rims and new tri flange rear hub design.
Attachments
fsawheels1.jpg
fsawheels.jpg

by guest

Tri-flange... what a marketing gimmick that is

Superlite

by Superlite

Not really, the tri flange design gives more even spoke tension on the load bearing hub.

by guest

and torque transfer???

Superlite

by Superlite

Well yeah, thats the point of the equal spoke tension and transfer of power.

by guest

---- posted from another forum in reference to the 3 flange wheel ---

Most hubs have too small a section diameter to transmit much torque to the non-drive side spokes. The wind-up of the hub prevents the NDS spokes from gaining enough tension to be effective. Hence the drive side spokes typically transfer almost all of the torque to the rim. Similarly, the flange in the center of the hub would have the same problem unless they made the hub diameter very large, which they didn't seem to do in this case. Granted, it would theoretically be able to deliver double the torque of the NDS flange, but double of close to nothing is still pretty close to nothing.

Edit... I just took another look at the hub pics and now realize that they are forcing the torque to the center flange by lacing the drive side (and NDS) radially. This negates any ability to transfer torque on the DS so all the torque is essentially driven by six spokes (only three pulling). Wow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

HOLY CRAP!!! Just talked to my inside source today after reading a post by someone that a 300g magnesium clincher is comming out. IT'S TRUE!!! A 300g clincher is comming out from american classic, but unfortunatly it's only going to be a race day only product due to the corrosion of the magnesium on the brake track.

ALSO!!!! To complement the new mag rims, and all other current am classic road wheels NEW HUBS ARE COMMING!!! Front hub will weigh in at 61g, rear 183g!!! HOLY MOLY!!! 50g weight savings!! And a superior design and made by a more reputable manufacturor. These are gonna be sweet. The may or may not be at Interbike this year, but if the are not the will most likely be available next Spring! I can't wait!! A 1140g clincher wheelset, for race day, 1240g for everyday!! :P