Lactate acid in blood...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Can recovery be monitored based on amount of lactate acid in blood?

My recovery seem to be on edge always so I'm thinking how to measure recovery state more accurately.

What are the ways? Lactic acid measuring is easy but expencive. But is it working for this application?

Help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ill answer this first thing in the morning!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Very interesting question.

That's exactly what I am training for.

Blood measurement will be expensive, have you tried recording your recovery times during the surges of a race?

Regards

Brian

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Races are so different, weeks are so different...Using lactate acid measuring may be would help adjust Polar's stress factor numbers in better scales. Now I use 4.5X for anaerobic, and 2.2 for aerobic level. After that there would be less need for measuring lactate acid levels?

Lactate acid meters cost ~300E and strips are 1-2E/time.

But I think I would have some friend how are interested also about this.

Where I can buy this kind of meter in Europe?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Samu Ilonen wrote:Can recovery be monitored based on amount of lactate acid in blood?

My recovery seem to be on edge always so I'm thinking how to measure recovery state more accurately.

What are the ways? Lactic acid measuring is easy but expencive. But is it working for this application?

Help!

Your recovery can be monitored by measuring the lactic acid flowing around in your blood. Keep in mind that it is the acid in your muscles that is the pain in the ...

Recovery can also be measured by checking your heart rate (roughly) When your back at your own low rate in rest. you can considder things done in your body. Because your heart doesn't have to pump that hard to get all the acid out of your system via the kidneys.

IMO measuring the lactic acid is a to expensive way for us mere mortals. you better leave that to the pro's who really need it. they base their supercompensation training on it

I hope this will help you out.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

<Your recovery can be monitored by measuring the lactic acid flowing around in your blood. Keep in mind that it is the acid in your muscles that is the pain in the ...

I have always some pain now... :evil:

<When your back at your own low rate in rest. you can considder things done in your body. Because your heart doesn't have to pump that hard to get all the acid out of your system via the kidneys.

I have experienceses that so what goes when you look only your resting hart rate....it's going well, exactly lower than normal. But so is max. hr also...then you need looong rest. That goes if you train a lot and low hr's. So every week should have few max. sprints so harts max. hr and hr rice are make noted. No rice, more rest. Or you are training for eternal slowness...I'm not!

<IMO measuring the lactic acid is a to expensive way for us mere mortals.

I was thinking to do it this way:
-before weeks hard training, measure acid's.
-if elevated, skip or ride slow and under 2h.
-if elevated think how you get there. What was the reason?
-in winter training is moustly same amount. Aerobic training time in it will vary. Use lactare readings to adjust Polar's factor numbers in stress gatering table.
-Try to measure how much acid will produce in blood/hour in short time trial,like 10-20km (nearly 100% anaerobic) ,try same in base level riding for longer time, 100% base HR. How much more times acid anaerobic riding prodused/hour? 5-9? Put that to Polar!
-Same way could done with aerobic riding. Try ride 100% Aerobic ride, 1hour etc. on middle on your aerobic area. Compare on pure base riding. Put number of times to Polar.

Only then you can use HR-monitor to look how hard was you week/month/year...?

Somebody could say something about this idea, does it seem to be silly/stupid etc? I just always want to know when I'm ready to train (hart) next time.

<they base their supercompensation training on it

Me too. Why not? I you want to get better, you must train and recover both enought. Not less but definedly not more. If meter cost ~300E and 1 measuring/week after recovery days is 1-2E,that ok for me. If it saves lot of time and pain killers....
Last edited by Samu Ilonen on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I think it is perfectly clear to you, but...

Samu Ilonen wrote:If it saves lot of time and pain killers....

Try making your cooling down longer. Or alter your training program, you are not supposed to have pain every day.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Yes. I'm thinking easy group rides for rest of the week.

Today's 10km TT went well but feeled like going nowhere. Hard to spin, I felt like riding like Ulle's way but my avg. cadence was 98 (normal to me). Awg. HR was 4-6 pulses too slow (179). 14 ppm less than record (193) on that TT. My max is 200 on ergometer test with oxygen/blood measuring. (That test feels awfull and takes 100E's) Heat up/cooling down is always least 40minutes since it's not near in my home. I must try to find my rollers....

If I could do it so that it would feel "fast"...time would be very nice. Today was my fastest time on this summer but it's not enought.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com