Hollow Pin Chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Desperado

by Desperado

I have had a number of hollow pin chains on my timetrial bike over the years, but can't remember who made them or if they are still available. (I think they were Regina or Rohloff? I'm assuming they are no longer manufactured, but....does anyone know for sure?

francois_viviers@hotmail.

by francois_viviers@hotmail.

SRAM do a new version of the PC89R the chain with the cutouts in the connecting plates, the new version has got hollow pins and comes in at 270 for 114 link. Connex had a chain at Interbike, not sure how much it weighed or if it will go into production, but the connecting plates was made out of Titanium with cutouts (even more so that SRAM) and the pins were hollow, they named it the Connex TR Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Desperado

by Desperado

Thanks, Francois,
I'll check them out. I know Viking makes a titanium that weighs in around 225 grams, but it doesn't work for 9 speed (I believe only six or seven)

francois_viviers@hotmail.

by francois_viviers@hotmail.

Hi Mate

Yes it is only for 7 & 8 speed setups, but the problem withthe viking chain is that it is nearly $300 :shock: no way would anyone pay that

by Guest

Connex TR Titanium won't be available until March or April per Wipperman. The weight will be 225 grams for 110 links, but the cost will be $225.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

What about 10sp. I'm getting my Campy components ready right now and would like to know about a 10 sp. chain. Just got done with the front derrialeur. Haven't weighted it yet, but it seems light to the hand. there's only two steel parts on it now. The cage and the spring. I'll weigh it soon and post it.

tunecampa

by tunecampa

... from a Company in Frankfurt/Germany 325

Advance Bike Technology
Niederurseler Ldstr.54
60439 Frankfurt am Main

tiultralite@aol.com
advance-bike.com

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I haven't bought a 10 sp. chain yet. What 10 sp. chain is the lightest without going to the expense of a titainium chain. I've heard of guys running the 9 sp. chains on 10 sp. systems with no problems. If so I could run the Sram hollow pin. Is that going to be lighter than a narrower 10 sp. chain. It seems what you would loose in the hollow pin you make up in width.

andyskein14@hotmail.com

by andyskein14@hotmail.com

reginna made the sl50 hollow pin chain, I still have mine unused in the box I ame looking forward to getting a sram hollew pin chain,but does it work on 8 speeds?[/b]

wally318

by wally318

I have taken a Regina SL50 chain, done the calculations and machined the rollers and pins after dissassembly and reassembled afterward. This yeilds a chain that will shift 9 speeds and probably 10. The best part : for 110 links it weighs 237 grams.

Cyco

by Cyco

Well done Wally. Will you be posting the calculations, and photos in the Articles section of this site?

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I think Wally is in the lead for the biggest weight weenie. That's incredible.

wally318

by wally318

CYCO thanks for the compliment. I will post the info, but not right away. I don't own a dig. cam. but might be able to arrange something and am busy with some projects that need to be finished. POPAWHEELIE I'll take that as a compliment also, thanks. But I'm only 5'7" and 145 lbs.

jer

by jer

Just an FYI for one of the questions further up this post. The SRAM PC-89R Hollow pin is narrower than the regular PC-89R. It is narrow enough to work fine on Campy 10 spd BUT SRAM does not make a master link (yet, they are working on it) that is narrow enough to work with 10 spd. For right now they are including their regular 9 spd masterlink (powerlink, they call it) with their PC-89R hollow pin. If you can make a connection that you trust without using the powerlink then you can use the PC-89R hollow pin chain with 10 spd. The PC-99 Hollow pin is also narrower than its non-hollow pin counterpart but it is a little wider than the 89R hollow pin. not sure if it works with 10 speed or not.

-jer

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Jer, Is ther a way to conect the PC-89R with a permanent link pressed in. I don't need to break my chain to clean it. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com