Project 7.5 (update on p.6)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Hi everyone,
After dreaming all the time of your lightweight bikes here on the forum,i've decided to build a lightweight bike myself.At the moment i'm searching and waiting for the bits and bites,but that's why i've opened a topic:i think i can use your ideas or hints for getting my project done.As the title says i would like to reach the 7.5 kilos/16.5 pounds(or less :lol: )
The bike will be used as training/marathon.I'm 70kg/154lbs and i'm not that aggressive in riding.
Here you've the specs that i've in mind,but i think that i need some help for reaching the goal:
Bar ends:Extralite UltraEnds(shortened) 48
Bottom Bracket: Tune Sixpack (no bolts) 142
Brake Levers: Extralite Ultralevers 64
Rear Brakes: Avid Mags Tuned(al,Ti) 130
Front Brakes: Avid Mags Tuned(al,ti) 130
Cables: Nokon 130
Cassette: Shimano DA 12-27 178
Chain: KCM X9SL 255
Crankset: 0
--Arms: Tune Fastfoot 175 394
--Ring bolts: Extralite 12
--Outer Ring: TA Specialities 44x94 75
--Middle Ring: TA Specialities 32x94 50
--Inner Ring: Tune Ti 24Tx58 20
Derlr (Front) Shimano XTR Tuned(alu,dremel) 130
Derlr (Rear) Shimano XTR Tuned(alu,carb,dremel) 170
Fork: SID Team w/h LO,alu studs +/-1200
Frame: Merida Carbon 18” 1540
Grips: Extralite Neogrips(+ caps) 40
Handlebar: Extralite UltraBar 105
Headset: Tune Bubu 66
Headset Cap/Bolt: Extralite UltraCap 7
Headset Spacer: Carbon 4
Pedals: CrankBrothers Eggbeater 4 titan 167
Quick Releases: Tune Ac16-17 53
Seat Binder: Extralite Ultraclamp 12
Seat: Tune Speedneedle Marathon 109
Seatpost: Ax-Lightness Europa (31.6 x 350) 129
Shifters: Shimano Xt Tuned(alu,dremel) 170
Stem: Extralite UL (Ti bolts) 98
Tire (Front) Continental Twister Supersonic 350
Tire (Rear): Continental Twister Supersonic 350
Tubes: Stans NoTubes 60
Wheelset (Front):
Wheelset (Rear): 0
Wheelset: 1350
--Rims: Mavic XC717 32
--Spokes: Dt Aero
--Nipples: Dt alu
--Front Hub: Tune Mig
--Rear Hub: Tune Mag
Misc Option: NoTubes Rimtape 110

Maybe the seat could be a concorde or ax-lightness.As the bar/barends,i would like to keep them.I love to change the hand position during long rides.I also could change the cassette to an alu one,but as i use the bike also for training,it wouldn't be a good idea to train with an alu cassette.

I'm interested in your opinion about my bike project.What do you think that would be usefull/necessary or maybe dumb of my part?

Looking forward for some serious replies!

Greetings,
$mokeyJoe
Last edited by $mokeyJoe on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JK

by JK

Changing the rims to Stan's and using Stan's yellow tape could lighten the wheelset by something of around 150gr.

Motaro

by Motaro

we want FOTO :waving: we want FOTO :waving: we want FOTO :waving:

:D

ooh w8 you not done yet :oops: :P
finaly found my old Username robin v berkel so i wil log on that and not on this one if you wand to Pm me PM robin v berkel

Lukas Koukal

by Lukas Koukal

I used to care, now I take a pill for that.

Adri

by Adri

Interesting build. I should warn you about the Tune Fastfoot/Sixpack combi.. They need to be fastened exactly at 50Nm, otherwise they will work themselves loose and start creaking. I still always carry a hex key with me because even though I'v been using them for over a year now (+6000K ) , they still can get loose, especially when the going gets rough and you need to put a lot of power on the pedals. When mounting them, absolutely use NO grease whatsoever.
Using Blue Loctite should keep the alu bolts in place though. Beware, those bolts are quickly deformed when the hex key is not well inserted!
Getting a torque wrench is a good investment.

I'm not sure what cranks you are using now, but expect the Tune ones to be more flexxy. I can make them touch my chainstays under very heavy sprinting. Otherwise they behave fine.
I would also check out the Storck Powercranks, they are lighter and perhaps stiffer?

I also use the Extralite Ultrabar/stem combi and combined with a rigid fork this makes for a pretty harsh ride.. But no problems whatsoever with the Extralite parts . Since you will mount a SID , that should make the front more comfy.
Auribus teneo lupum

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

There are some components that i've been riding for a year now,like the cranks(no loosening,no creaks),wheels,Extralite components.All my bits are fastened with a torque wrench(i even bought a second one for the big torques! :wink: )It once happened that a brake lever broke just because i put to much tension on the bolt(i didn't have any torque wrench then),so buying me a torque wrench is like saving me money :lol: .
I think that it's going to be hard to get down to 7.5k.My frame already weighs 1540g.I hoped it was around the 1400g...I'm also going to change the grips to some pork ones,that will save me like 25g.For getting the goal,i think i'll have to get rid of the granny and the barends,that'll also save like (-48g=barends,-40g=another steer,-24g=granny+bolts) 112g,but i would like to keep them for marathons...
Changing the rims to Stan's and using Stan's yellow tape could lighten the wheelset by something of around 150gr.

I ordered some stans when i built my wheels,but they weren't in stock in that moment,so i decided to go for the mavics.I kinda like the ceramic rim.This in combination with V-brakes,gives me the best sensation to brake.Would it be possible to remove the Stan rimstrip and replace it by just the yellow tape?Will this hold air long enough?Don't want to pump some air every hour...
Well WW-addicts...i still need some advise...
Last but not least,already thank you for the replies...
Greetings,
$mokeyJoe
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

Composite World

by Composite World

Sell those wheels and get Stan's. They are the best way to lighten. I love them.
Live to ride, ride to live

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

You should consider going with the Extralite Ultraterra wheelset w/steel spokes depending on how much they cost compared to what you have speced. I weigh 85kilos and use them for road/street wheels on my mtb. For technical reason I had to use the front EL wheel the other night off road and it was great! I won't use them for offroad all the time and I have not used the rear wheel - nor do I want to with the tires I have on'em but it seems like you could get away with this wheelset at your weight. It would save circa 160 grams I think on your current wheel. . . The tunes prolly have a more durable/better internals arguably IMO.

The Crimson King

by The Crimson King

maybe you could choose a lighter frame..for example an Exralite rc-1 frame which come in 1100 g...also you could use diffeent grips like the titec that are 19g

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

The Crimson King wrote:maybe you could choose a lighter frame..for example an Exralite rc-1 frame which come in 1100 g...also you could use diffeent grips like the titec that are 19g

I won't change the frame.I bought the frame in november last year and it's still in the box(we're doing modifications at home :wink: )Now i begin to have some time for my project,so the frame is just waiting to be build up!I know it isn't the lightest one(even a bit heavier than a lot of other carbon frames)but i like Merida,so it'll have to be that frame.We'll see after the first ride,but i heard a lot of good things about it(except weight)
The grips gonna be changed,that's for sure...
And the rims are going to be changed also(maybe an extra wheelset...?!?)
Just keep giving me advise,i'm looking forward every time i log on!
Greetings,
$mokeyJoe
*Light is beautiful*

theremery

by theremery

the only alteration I'd make would be (when it needs replacing...NOT before) to get the KMC X10 Sl. For some reason they are 25 (I think) g lighter than the X9 (I think....look it up tho). I wouldn't do this untill you needed to replace the chain ...or if you have a different bike that the 9 sl would be useful on. A nice paper-build.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Thylacine

by Thylacine

That Merida frame isn't very light for it's size. I'd expect it to be a lot lighter than that coz our 20" Ti frames are that weight.
Have you earned your stripes? • AIM/iChat - warwickg71 • Skype - ThylacineCycles

Composite World

by Composite World

Thylacine wrote:That Merida frame isn't very light for it's size. I'd expect it to be a lot lighter than that coz our 20" Ti frames are that weight.

Merida's benefits are not in their weight, but stiffnes and comfort

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Composite World wrote:Merida's benefits are not in their weight, but stiffnes and comfort

It seems...All i have to do isbuilding that bike and go out for a ride...but unhappily i don't have all the bits yet...
That's the reason why i've chosen for the merida HT as marathon bike.
*Light is beautiful*

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Composite World

by Composite World

$mokeyJoe wrote: All i have to do is building that bike and go out for a ride, but unhappily i don't have all the bits yet...

What are missing?