six16

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

saletel

by saletel

i saw some six13's the other day. i remember one member saying that the head tube was raw holes any way they had 2 different versions, a carbon plug (not using them for production) which looked like ass and a very sexy stainless steel looking plug which is apparently going to be on production versions.

the guys from cannondale said compete they typically come out to 16.5 pounds which really isnt that light.

my bike felt significantly lighter then the 58 cm they had.

and on a side note my old road bike came into the shop today and we weighed it... 19 pounds! YIKES!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

I think you were refering to me. :lol:

Yeah, I talked to the Cannondale rep about it, and he said the overwhelming response to the "cheap" looking carbon headtube covers. Haven't seen what they have done to give the product that clean look until you posted that pic, looks much better.

Got any more pics of the headtube up close? Just wondering if the insert goes into the headtube and portrudes out the holes for a clean look.

Also noticed, the pics with the carbon "cheap" sticker covers was on the campy bike, and the clean headtube covers was on a shimano equiped bike. I wonder if they really corrected the problem, or if cannondale has seperate headtube covers for the different groupos?

saletel

by saletel

i didnt get a better picture of it, but it looked much nicer then the carbon inserts which were bulky and looked crummy

the dura ace bike was apparently a production ride, that they swiped from the q-lab because they didnt have a 60 cm bike.

divve

by divve

Here's one from the RBR board. It looks nice but on the large frame saletel posted it still looks bad in my opinion. Also, the Giro has been won on a CAAD7 again. Apparently the Six13 couldn't keep up. Just didn't have the same acceleration :)
Attachments
P1010017.jpg

C-40

by C-40

So what exactly is Cunego riding in this photo?
http://www.velonews.com/

divve

by divve

C-40 wrote:So what exactly is Cunego riding in this photo?
http://www.velonews.com/

CAAD7

C-40

by C-40

I appologize in advance for my ignorance regarding the Cannondale line but why the new material (carbon fiber), why is Simoni/Cunego advertising the bike aand yet not riding it and what are its possible advantages? Cost?, ride quality what- certainly there should be some reason for its creation. And if it is not being ridden by Saeco its existence is hard to understand........

saletel

by saletel

the old man at my work loved it. "its exactly the same but different" he said it was more comfortable, but rode just as quick.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

i Know it's off topic, but i like the routing on the campy FSA bar. The drop in the middle to the stem is interesting too. It must give a higher hand position when on the cross bar

divve

by divve

C-40 wrote:I appologize in advance for my ignorance regarding the Cannondale line but why the new material (carbon fiber), why is Simoni/Cunego advertising the bike aand yet not riding it and what are its possible advantages? Cost?, ride quality what- certainly there should be some reason for its creation. And if it is not being ridden by Saeco its existence is hard to understand........

It is ridden by several Seaco riders including Simoni and Cunego's spare bike that he used on one of the later stages was a Six13 as well. I guess some just prefer the CAAD7. Just like Cunego wasn't using the FSA K-Wing bar but a more traditional looking Cinelli Solida Magnum.

Why the new material? The oldest reason in the world. Release something new to keep sales going.

morrisond

by morrisond

I saw a red one with the Aluminum plugs in my Shop, I thought it looked really Cheap, carbon would have looked better in my opinion. It was right next to a Caad7 and I thought that looked better as well. It seems like the six13 was built purely for marketing reasons. I'll bet it's gone within two years when it's replaced by a full carbon frame probably made in Taiwan. To build this bike they actually build the whole thing out of Aluminum(i.e. essentially a Caad7) then take the hacksaw to it and remove the material they are going to replace with carbon. It seems like a lot of extra work for nothing, the Caad7 frame is great in of itself, why screw it up?

C-40

by C-40

Now that is an answer I can relate to.......

saletel

by saletel

morrisond wrote:I saw a red one with the Aluminum plugs in my Shop, I thought it looked really Cheap, carbon would have looked better in my opinion.

maybe if they refined the carbon plugs it would have been nicer, but the ones on the bikes were real thick and looked fake. the other looked much nicer.

also routing cables on a k-wing bar sucks ass. as does routing them on a RAAM bar.

i had to do it on my boss's bike :oops:

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

The frames are made by welding the joints and rear triangle on jigs, finishing and heat treating before assembly with the carbon tubes. The joints are then assembled to the carbon tubes and the whole assembly is then jigged as the matrix cures.

The advantage is the carbon fiber further reduces tube weight without going to dangerously thin walls that buckle and are not durable. Its more for ride quality than light weight.

With aluminum, you can only go so far in ride comfort and still have a durable frame since aluminum has a finite fatigue life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C-40

by C-40

So your claim is that 6/13 has a longer useful life than a CAAD7? What is your basis for this statement? Is there any consensus here about failure rates fro the CAAD7?????? Superlight wehre are you.........