De Rosa prototype

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benz76

by benz76

Stefano Garzelli (Vini Caldirola pro racer, former Giro d'Italia winner) will get (actually he already got it) a special De Rosa King prototype, weighing only 950 gr in his 54 size.

This bike was shown in a TV special on Garzelli's winter training. He was climbing Furcia pass (Giro's stage #16) on that frame. It looks very similar to standard De Rosa King, but the differences are "on the inside", according to Cristiano De Rosa, answering to an interview in the same Tv-Special.

He also said that there will not be a production frame like this, but I disagree with him: this Tv special seemed to be a commercial strategy, IMO.

Hope I'll find some pics to post on Italian cycling magazines...

Bye, Benz.

vashirak

by vashirak

No offence, but I really don't know how true is the comment given by DeRosa himself. This is because I know this guy who frequents Taiwan to pick up some carbon components a lot. He has been inside many factories that produce stuffs like carbon handlebars (the one that Stella is using) and FSA cranksets. He told me that De Rosa King is also produced there and the cost price is ridiculously low (compared to what they are selling in the market). However, from the DeRosa says it sounds like he is actually making this frame himself when in fact the last model of King was all made in Taiwan.

Can someone please clarify?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benz76

by benz76

Basically De Rosa frames are Mizuno carbon frames, built in Taiwan. No one has ever said that De Rosa carbon frames are italian made. If you go to any de Rosa retailer he will tell you the truth...
Cristiano de Rosa said that "they"'ve made this special frame for Garzelli. He didn't said that it was assembled/manufactured in Italy, so I guess this prototype is also Taiwan made.

In Italy you can find Mizuno carbon frames for almost the half of the price of De Rosa original frame...

Bye, Benz.

divve

by divve

Admittedly I don't know the real truth about the story, but this article below seems to strongly suggest "Made in Italy".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/ita ... id=default

tobias

by tobias

...seems to be this one called "prototype ltd". looks sweet.
hope, there´ll be a coverage on cyclingnews soon.
cheers

tobias.

nothing.

anubis

by anubis

tobias wrote:...seems to be this one called "prototype ltd". looks sweet.
cheers

tobias.

Since I'm following the race on TV, I was allways wondering what's printed on the toptube of garzelli's king.

hopefully this frame will come in the stores!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tobias

by tobias

anubis wrote:
tobias wrote:...seems to be this one called "prototype ltd". looks sweet.
cheers

tobias.

Since I'm following the race on TV, I was allways wondering what's printed on the toptube of garzelli's king.

hopefully this frame will come in the stores!

here you go again - it´s written in yellow:

nothing.