Alpha Q sub 3?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rippin

by Rippin

So those who have installed the Sub 3 with the supplied insert, what cap did you use? The one supplied with the headset? Can you use a star cap?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

When I want it to look nice I use an AX-Lightness carbon cap, otherwise I just put a cork in it after the stem is tightened.

My 1" AME-era sub3 weighs 336g with the insert, cut for a 54cm frame so it's not too bad. It seems like every fork maker that still makes 1" quotes that weight and not the 1 1/8".

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Installed it, well, I removed the old crown race for reuse and took my time cleaning/packing the bearings in my CC S2 headset. I measured twice but still managed to cut it a bit long. Back to the shop to generate more black dust...

It cut perfectly square with abrasive wheel spinning at 30,000 RPM while the shaft was slowly rotated. No splintering.

Just as I figured, the steerer ISpulltruded CF. Do NOT substitute ANY insert as this tube has EXTREMELY low resistance to the stress expanding-type nuts produce. You must use the insert to add torsional and longitudinal shear strength to the steerer. And the gluing process is very critical. You must wet BOTH surfaces and allow the epoxy to fully fill the gap. Putting the insert in rapidly will starve the bottom of the insert of epoxy, resulting in only partial bonding. Not good.

With glue, insert and crown race (15g), the entire fork weighs in at a svelte 354 grams. Contrast with 595 grams for the original and it looks much better. I shall see how it handles :)

The bike is now 276 grams lighter at a little over 1$ per gram cost!

Update:

Darn it, I screwed up and cut it too long. I don't know what happened since I cut it EXACTLY the same length as the one it replaced, including the insert flange thickness. The top cap might be the problem since the insert is smaller inside diameter than the STEEL steeer it replaced. I have 5mm of spacer on it already so it looks like another 4mm is necessary. I have no spacers on hand other than those in use so I think a single 10 mm Douglass will be on order.

zoey

by zoey

Actually I've used this setup for years (at least 15,000 miles) first with the original AlphaQ and recently with a Sub3.

I'm comfortable with this setup and it does work. I would however think twice if you’re "robust" :P or need more than 2cm of spacers.

Of course that is just my .02 and I also don't buy bike parts for the warranty. I do pick parts that I believe have a superior design and are lightweight at the same time. (This could open a can of flames so I have my flame retardant suit on)
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

I've put about 300 miles on my 1" Sub3 and thus far it has performed as one would expect. Can't say it is a better riding fork than the Advanced Carbon fork it replaced, but it did save about 120g. As far a a cap, Glory Cycles sells the Campy carbon top cap for under $15, which is a good price considering what others ask for it. I left the steerer tube about 2mm long to allow for some future flexibility in stem selection and location so the cap works well with one 5mm spacer above the stem. BTW, my 1" Sub3 weighed in at 337g after being cut to 8.5" steerer tube length. I guess the Sub3 name refers to the fact you can buy them for sub-$300 if you shop around.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Someone told me the Sub3 was actually sub 300 grams before True Temper bought the company. Production changes required more resin and the weight gains are due to this change. The fiber layup and overall stiffness are the same as is the superior fatigue strength.

BTW, I rode my favorite closed circuit course yesterday for the first time with the new fork. I ma impressed with the now rock-solid tracking. Much better crit fork.

cadence90

by cadence90

I'm pretty sure the Sub3 name/claim/game is the usual slick PR, like all these companies pull, in that it is possible to get an AlphaQ Sub3 to less than 300g, IF one uses the 1" model with a short (200mm) steerer, like on a 49 frame.... :roll: and if one weighs just the fork without expander.... :roll: :roll: :roll: Despite the PR jive, it's still a light, great fork.
When I cut mine down, I'm going to call it a Sub3.4362, or whatever it comes out to.... :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

mises

by mises

Can't blame a guy for cashing in, but I sure wish AME hadn't sold out to True Temper. It was great being able to get custom steerer and blade stiffness and ti dropouts before.