Computer/HRM poll

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What is the best Computer and/or HRM you've used?

I use a cycling computer only
19%
I use a HRM only
6%
I use a combined computer/HRM unit
44%
I use separate computer/HRM units
31%

Total votes: 32

cadence90

by cadence90

What is the best cycling computer and/or HRM you've used?
Please list manufacturer and model.
I am most interested in a completely wireless computer or computer/HRM with cadence.
The simpler the better, as long as the basics are covered (i.e. I think the Polar s720i has too many bells and whistles for me).
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

Not what you are after.

I use a Cateye Cordless 2
Automatic timing - stops the clock running when you stop at traffic lights.
mph / kph
mileage
total mileage
ability to have 2 wheel / tyre sizes (i.e. 26 x 1 tyres Vs 26 x 2.1)

6,000 miles trouble free - magnet can work free off-road.

I have a huge crack on the screen. Turned the bike upsize down to play with the QR. Like an idiot forgot the computer was there.

I'm looking for a replacement. Like Cadence - keen on other peoples feedback!

cadence90

by cadence90

Tippster wrote:Not what you are after.
[snip]
I'm looking for a replacement. Like Cadence - keen on other peoples feedback!

I am hoping people reply to the poll to determine type, and also reply in the post (like you did) to state model/manufacturer/etc.

It seems the better computers that offer wireless and cadence are:
1) fully loaded with so many features I would probably never use or need (i.e. altimeter/thermometer/ir interface/etc. etc.
2) very expensive because of all those features

I'm wondering if there is a good alternative, the Polar 520 seems OK, for instance, but it is also lot of money.
Last edited by cadence90 on Wed May 26, 2004 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm using a Specialized speedzone comp. Computer and a polar pacer hrm. I measure my cadence by counting

Keep things basic is the key!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ivan

by Ivan

Seperate cycling comp/HRM

Cycling computer is a sigma BC 1200: non-wireless, cadence meter and all the usual functions
HRM is a polar S210 (attached to my handlebar)

I know its a bit of an overload on my handlebar but seperate cycling comp and HRM is usefull because i use the HRM also for ceoss traning and MTB.

bobalou

by bobalou

I've used both separate and combined systems. The most recent one used is the Vetta V100HR. It has it all except for the data download via a PC interface. It has wireless cadence, speed and HR functions. I found that it's very reliable and accurate. Powerlines present minimal interference issues (compared to my last Polar HR monitor). I recommend it if you want an "all-in-one" system and don't care about analyzing the data in a PC download. The computer itself is highly programmable and has an excellent user manual as well. Easy to use and switch between "modes". My only complaint could be the same for any bike computer I've used: after about 30 minutes in the rain the thing quits. Obviously not an issue if you don't ride in the rain! But I do lots of all weather riding so it bugged me.

bobalou

by bobalou

Forgot to mention, all the units use those circular flat batteries, including the chest HR unit. I liked that you could replace the chest HR battery yourself rather then have to send the unit back to polar. I found the batteries lasted about 4 months or 2500 miles approximately.

What are you thinking of getting, cadence?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

My polar battery lasted for about 2 years! And i made about 16000 k with it!

If you buy u suunto hr watch you can replace the battery in the chest band yourself!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ivan

by Ivan

bobalou wrote:My only complaint could be the same for any bike computer I've used: after about 30 minutes in the rain the thing quits. Obviously not an issue if you don't ride in the rain! But I do lots of all weather riding so it bugged me.

I've done 4hr training rides in the rain with my setup, and it never stopped functioning. Not that it was fun though.

bobalou

by bobalou

bobalou wrote:Forgot to mention, all the units use those circular flat batteries, including the chest HR unit. I liked that you could replace the chest HR battery yourself rather then have to send the unit back to polar. I found the batteries lasted about 4 months or 2500 miles approximately.

okay.. just to clarify. The wireless (sending) units batteries needed replacement at about 4 months. The "computer" needed replaced at 6 months. I never had to replace the HR monitor battery.

bobalou

by bobalou

Ivan wrote:
bobalou wrote:My only complaint could be the same for any bike computer I've used: after about 30 minutes in the rain the thing quits. Obviously not an issue if you don't ride in the rain! But I do lots of all weather riding so it bugged me.

I've done 4hr training rides in the rain with my setup, and it never stopped functioning. Not that it was fun though.

Sounds like a nice unit. Performance in rain big criteria for me nowadays. I did a century charity ride last year and it rained the whole time. I didn't meet one person that had a working computer in the last half of the ride.

I actually now use a GPS unit (garmin geko) as my computer and don't use a HR monitor anymore. It's completely waterproof. I've ridden in torrential rains and it keeps working .. although sometimes it will lose the gps signal in thick trees. I used to use the GPS with the vetta but found it was redundant. It's surprising how accurate the GPS's are for speed .. and I think even more accurate for odometer. It will also give elevation, etc. It's saved me more then once from getting lost also!

cadence90

by cadence90

bobalou wrote:Forgot to mention, all the units use those circular flat batteries, including the chest HR unit. I liked that you could replace the chest HR battery yourself rather then have to send the unit back to polar. I found the batteries lasted about 4 months or 2500 miles approximately.

Well, I'm going to check out the Vetta V100HR you mention. :) It sounds like a good unit. I don't need PC interface really.
I was also looking at the Polars (i.e. s520) but 2 things bug me:
1) that you have to send the unit back to Polar for battery replacement
2) I've heard that if you wear the unit on your wrist, at certain angles/motions (mainly if you're stretching for a moment or waving, motions like that, it stops receiving signal! I've heard more than one person complain about that.

I've looked at Sigma, it's good, but I don't like the wired cadence so much.

I'd rather have a combined unit, I think; I don't intend to do much switching between bikes, and I like less clutter around.

I'm a bit unclear, bobalou, are you using the Vetta or the Garmin now? Is the Garmin a full cycling computer with cadence?

bobalou

by bobalou

cadence90 wrote:
I'm a bit unclear, bobalou, are you using the Vetta or the Garmin now? Is the Garmin a full cycling computer with cadence?

I'm using the Garmin Geko GPS. http://www.garmin.com/products/geko201/ It's not particular to cycling, for example, no cadence function. But it has everything else and more. Heck, it's GPS which has some fantastic side benefits. No magnets. No wires. Can use it anywhere. Can download and save routes to my PC. Can "backtrack" if lost. Can save "waypoints" of places visited. Can see the elevation profile of the ride you just did. If you have more then one bike (I use 3 at different times) you can use it on every one, no setup required. I basically stopped using the vetta because I thought the garmin was way more helpful then any other computer I'd used.. plus, wanted all weather performance and didn't feel a need for HR information any longer - although it is definitely helpful, I've learned that I can train just as well without it. I also got tired of the strap around my chest.

Anyway, sorry about the lecture! :smartass: But just in case someone might wonder about using GPS.

One unit I came close to buying was the Timex because it is a HR monitor that also uses GPS .. but I stuck with the Geko. Anyway, here's the link for the timex HR GPS units. http://www.timex.com/hrm/products.html

I'd still recommend the V100HR for what you're looking for. It's a very cool unit and good quality stuff, easy to install and use.

cadence90

by cadence90

Thanks bobalou,
The Vetta V100HR looks pretty nice, you're right.
Do you think it's a better, more reliable unit than the Polar s520?
You mentioned you'd used a Polar before....
The features look pretty comparable, more than enough for my needs.
(It sounds good that the Vetta batteries are consumer-replaceable.)

Does that Geko do time, total distance, ride distance, etc.? On the site it seems it's basically a GPS; I couldn't tell what other additional features similar to a cyclo computer it has.

bobalou

by bobalou

cadence90 wrote:Thanks bobalou,
The Vetta V100HR looks pretty nice, you're right.
Do you think it's a better, more reliable unit than the Polar s520?
You mentioned you'd used a Polar before....
The features look pretty comparable, more than enough for my needs.
(It sounds good that the Vetta batteries are consumer-replaceable.)

I got the Vetta over a year ago and used it most of last season. At the time I got it I was considering the s520 and 720. It basically came down to price for features and the fact I didn't care about downloading the data. The Polar I used to use I still have and use rarely, mostly for running. It used to cut out on me under the powerlines on some local trails but I think polar has fixed that problem with the newer units.

Does that Geko do time, total distance, ride distance, etc.? On the site it seems it's basically a GPS; I couldn't tell what other additional features similar to a cyclo computer it has.

It has 5 screens. 1) Satellites 2) track (your basic breadcrumb) which zooms from 50ft to 800 miles 3) compass and/or route director 4) user selectable 4 item display - display four items like speed, odometer, avg. speed, time-of-day (you can pick from 25 items like time to destination, vertical speed, max-speed, moving time, trip time, elevation, etc.) 5) "menu" for waypoints, tracks, routes, preferences.

There are times I miss knowing my heart-rate at a glance, but I've been riding so long I can basically tell what zone I'm in. :? Anyway, I bought that V100HR on eBay for $120 .. I think that might still be about the going rate. I think it's worth it for the features.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com