Trouble getting out...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I love riding, the sun on my back, wind in my face, breathing in the fresh air, cruising the path along the beach and viewing the eye candy (hey it is West Los Angeles) before climbing the canyons where even on weekends you see little to no traffic, what's not to like?

But I have trouble getting moving, and if I don't set out after breakfast it just doesn't happen, I find other things to do (like laundry - bleh!). During the week I could get at least an hour in most days, but I end up sitting in front of the Giro and then getting to work (late).

Now it might just be Giro fever, but it seems to happen each year. Setting goals doesn't help, so what can I do? Any suggestions? Am I just burnt out? Or do I just need a good kick in the pants?
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:breathing in the fresh air

Fresh air in LA? :wink:

Try mountain biking or get a singlespeed or perhaps a fixed gear bike! Spice things up look for variation. How about a titanium beach cruiser to go cruising on? Its all good.

For me its the escape from work its what I look forward to.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Yes we do have fresh air here on the northwest coast. South Bay with the docks and oil wells, and in the Valley with the smog, that's a different story, it's why we pay more in property costs to live here 8)
Ride lightly!

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Buy yourself some nice light expensive new parts... that's always a great motivation :lol:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I'm with AD, I can't stop thinking about my CR1, if I'm not riding it or my training bike I'll be going over my last race or the one coming. Considser another discipline (Track, XC, DH), I find each bike makes me appreciate my other bikes more.

Good Luck

Brian

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

asphaltdude wrote:Buy yourself some nice light expensive new parts... that's always a great motivation :lol:

I did, they are sitting downstairs on the bike 8)
Ride lightly!

CP

by CP

Watch Lance's Nike promo video.
CP

Tippster

by Tippster

Lance's book "It's not about the bike" is a great inspiration too.

Win the Tour AFTER cancer?

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Ride with an MP3 player. Find some music that motivates you.

Get a mag trainer, train indoors instead.

Brian

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Hmz I don't like riding with an MP3 player. It somehow makes me feel stressy, unrelaxed, and the beat disturbs my breathing pattern :shock:

However when I'm training indoor on my Tacx, i NEED music otherwise I fall asleep.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Riding with an MP3 player would be pretty dangerous here, if it's not skaters on the bike path, it's SUV's thinking they are Mini's in the space that they need.

The Giro helped a little, it reminded me of why I like to ride.
Ride lightly!

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Ye old - since I train primarily for triathlons, I get pretty burned out doing 5-7 days a week of training. The single greatest thing to motivate me is my subscription to Trainingbible.com

I found that if I pay for a training program (log program and structured workouts) and I have to enter my data on a daily and weekly basis I tend to stick to my training much better.

In the off season, I wasn't using the program and found it really tough to get my butt off the couch and do some work. When I started back on the program It as an easy way to get me motivated. I know each week I have to schedule my workouts and then have to log the hours and data after each workout. I feel guilty if I go a period of time and don't get the data in.

Just a thought! The link is www.trainingbible.com It's designed for runners, cyclists, or triathletes.

If you need any help with set up drop me a PM.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That a good point xterra! :idea:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Is it important to have a power meter for that site?

It looks interesting but the only data I have is HR and speed/distance related.

I find I can hear cars even with my music, I ride on roads and not cyclepaths. I have also found music that matches my breathing pattern.

Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I found an answer for now.

I entered two events (a Century and a Double) that are next month, and I stripped down my Storck. For every ride, I'll "earn" a part back on it. I figure it will be back in one piece a week before the Century. I can also in the meantime go over the parts and see if I can shave any more weight :twisted:

If nothing else, it will test my mental toughness :shock:
Ride lightly!