stem bar question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I got my current rig about a year ago, and for the most part, I like it a lot. However, the more I've ridden it, the more I realize some of the parts spec I was advised upon by my co-workers was (ahem) ill advised. I currently run a deda Mag00 stem with easton carbon bars in 44 width. The bars are the right Recomended size, but I like my bars narrow, so I am going to replace them with a 42. The stem I really like, but I feel like my bars are way too high, and need a bigger drop stem. Does anyone know that the drop angle of a Mag00 is? Also, at this point, I'm thinking about replacing the whole set up with a Kestral carbon bar and larger drop stem, but the only steep angle stem I have found that isn't a total tank is the Deda track stem, but it is 31.8. I like the new syntace F99 stems, but unless the angle is significantly greater than that of the MAg00, i'm not really interested. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

If you stick with 26.0 bars Ritchey WCS still comes in a -17 degree version. 3t and ITM are mostly -10 degree, Deda -8 degree or -6 degree, and Syntace and the newer Ritchey OS stuff is -6 degree.

Compact frames tend to have long head tubes and combined with the trend toward less stem drop it's getting very difficult to get bars low without a using very undersized frame or going custom.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

When the threadless stem made its way to the road, stylists decided to replicate the classic lines using a negative angle on the stem with a slew of spacers on the steerer tube.

When I got my Cannondale frame, I set it up based on my Tomasini using a Ritchey 84 degree stem. I found I needed only 6mm of spacers even with 6 degrees of rise. By using such a layout, additional weight is minimized and the stiffness of the setup is increased. But it no longer has those classic lines since the stem angles up significantly.

I still find riders who comment on the off looks. But its much less odd looking than compact frame geometry.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I'm riding a 58 CAAD 7 ('03) its not compact, and there are no spacers at all underneath the stem. I looked at the Ritchey, but I don't think that they make the WCS (the light one) in such a negative rise. I should double check though. Basically at this point, I have about a 3' drop from seat to bars and I need 4' to 5'.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

The Ritchey WCS stems can be installed in either orientation. You can get positive or negative. The 84/6 degree stem can be had from 90 to 140mm and the 73/17 from 80 to 120mm in length.

They are light and stiff. You must ride with a low saddle as my setup is about 3" just like yours (56 cm CAAD4, Easton CT2 set at maximum insert, 110mm WCS 6 degrees positive, 6mm spacer).

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

well, the saddle is about 1" from the max extension line, but the headtube is pretty long, keeping the stem from dropping lower. Basically, the top tube length is perfect for me, but I should have gotten a 56 cause I'm realizing that I prefer a little smaller bike.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

actually, i just measured, and I already have a 4" drop, and would like to go to 5-6". Whats funny about this whole thing is that I can probably sell both the Mag00 stem and Easton carbon bars to someone and get the Ritchey/Kestrel setup and have some money left over. thanks for the help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com