Proper handlebar tape termination.......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

Not quite a WW question but it could be construed to be so.... What isis the proper way to teminate (at the stem) handlebar tape so that it can be wrapped with a single WIDTH of electric tape (or Cinelli tape). Do you cut the end of the cork in a long acute angle cut or what...... I have never quite gotten this right and always use 2-3 widths of termination tape. I have seen it done so it just takes one width- How do you do that?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

C-40 wrote:Not quite a WW question but it could be construed to be so.... What isis the proper way to teminate (at the stem) handlebar tape so that it can be wrapped with a single WIDTH of electric tape (or Cinelli tape). Do you cut the end of the cork in a long acute angle cut or what...... I have never quite gotten this right and always use 2-3 widths of termination tape. I have seen it done so it just takes one width- How do you do that?

Wrap the bar past the point you want to stop and either mark the tape (I just put an indent with scissors at the start point of the cut where the edge is going to become the start of the cut), then unwrap the tape and cut from that mark diagonally towards the end of the tape. You end up with the tape having a diagonal cut to a point formed by the opposite edge from your cut, then rewrap the bar and finish with electrical tape. If you do it right, the last turn of the wrap is the same angle of the rest of the turns.
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com