Ti Dura-Ace pedal spindles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jer

by jer

Does anyone know a source for Titanium pedal spindles for Dura Ace SPD SL pedals? (the 7750s or the 7800s which i believe use the same spindle.)

A north american supplier would be easiest for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Shimano have always been very reluctant to use ti in the pedal axles due to its greater chance of failure. I asked them and they didn't feel it was worth the risk over steel.

If you can find it you should catch a glimpse of Fignon when he snapped a campy ti bb axle in a race. He was cranking out of the saddle and really went ass over tits in spectacular fashion!

It ain't worth the hassle.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Ti isn't any more prone to failure as alloy steel, given high quality alloys and proper processing. The problem with Ti in pedal spindles isn't the failure but ridigity. Titanium is only half as stiff as steel. Yes, its more flexible. Drop-in ti replacements for steel parts, especially in any rotational part, place much greater stress on bearings.

I haven't torn my 7800's apart yet so I cannot judge but the pedal bodies are fairly stiff. Replacing the axle with Ti would load the bearings excessively, IMHO. If you made the bodies out of a Zytel or other carbon-fiber reinforced engineering polymer, you could get away with it. The only other option would be to make the outboard bearing spherical to prevent off-axis bearing load.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Is the flex really that noticeable?
I'm looking to upgrade my pedals, should I stay with Cromo spindals? Or is it only with the bodies not designed for ti?

Brian

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Bruiser wrote:Is the flex really that noticeable?
I'm looking to upgrade my pedals, should I stay with Cromo spindals? Or is it only with the bodies not designed for ti?

Brian

You won't notice the flex but the bearings will.

gerry

by gerry

does anyone have the picture of laurent fignon with the crank arm and bb attached to his shoe?

thanks

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

If you aren't bothered by the original SPD then the Forte Pro Ti/Mg pedal is about the lightest thing out their that actually works well. Ti spindle and Mg body weighs in at 200g. I've been using for the past six weeks and definitely the equal of the original DA SPD pedal at a considerably lower weight. The next best thing about them is that they are only $56 a set when you use a Performance 20% off coupon (6000375 until 6/2).
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

If you aren't bothered by the original SPD then the Forte Pro Ti/Mg pedal is about the lightest thing out their that actually works well. Ti spindle and Mg body weighs in at 200g. I've been using for the past six weeks and definitely the equal of the original DA SPD pedal at a considerably lower weight. The next best thing about them is that they are only $56 a set when you use a Performance 20% off coupon (6000375 until 6/2).
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

Superlite

by Superlite

Does anyone know a source for Titanium pedal spindles for Dura Ace SPD SL pedals? (the 7750s or the 7800s which i believe use the same spindle.)

A north american supplier would be easiest for me.

I can make up a set for you, if you were will to donate the original axels.

Probley cost you over $200 for the set though.

jer

by jer

Thanks for the offer, Superlite. Russ at Action-Tec is going to see if he can make me a set. I have their Ti spindles for 959s and so far i like them. I imagine that Ti won't last as long as cromoly because one of the bearing races is machined into the pedal and Ti is not as hard as Cromoly (right?) Plus the bearings are very small at 3/32" for the 959s.

As soon as i hear back from Russ i will post again with price and my layperson's impressions of the spindles.

Weisse Luft or Superlite, you two seem to know more about this than me. Would the SPD-SL be a better canidate for Ti spindles than most because there are three sets of bearings supporting the axle? ball bearings at both ends and roller bearings between?

paulkilroy

by paulkilroy

Anyone using these lately?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

paulkilroy wrote:Anyone using these lately?

13 year old thread. Many of these posters are no longer active on this forum.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."