Lightest clip on aerobars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeremyb

by jeremyb

I know of the Schmolke's but I cant rationalize to myself (or especially my gf) the expense. So with that said, I'm looking at the Spinaci's or the Profile Jammer SL's?

Any one know the weight of the Jammer Sl's?

We need a weight listing for aerobars on the Listings page, no?

thanks
jeremyb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marktickner

by marktickner

The Profile Jammers and Spinaccis are not aerobars. They are grab on bars that the pros used to use before they were banned. Hardly anybody uses them any more. They dod not have any elbow pads and are pretty uncomfortable.

If you want a true aero bar for triathlons or time trials then the Schmolke are very lightweight indeed. Alternatively if cost is an issue then a carbon clip on like the Profile carbon x or the deda carbon clip on are an excellent cheaper option. A little heavier but still very lightweight.

Bill F

by Bill F

An option also my be Oval Concepts A700 slam clip on aerobar. Not super light but listed on Oval Concepts website as 475 grams.

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

The Deda Clip-One is pretty light once you've trimmed it down to size (the non carbon version), and it's extremely adjustable, and if you're using it on your usual road bike it comes off in seconds.

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

Mile Ditch wrote:The Deda Clip-One is pretty light once you've trimmed it down to size (the non carbon version), and it's extremely adjustable, and if you're using it on your usual road bike it comes off in seconds.

Would you happen to know the weight once cut? I'm looking to do some time trials and right now I've narrowed it down to the Syntace C2 (378g claimed), Visiontech Carbon Clip-On (390g claimed), Deda Clip Black (390g claimed), or the Deda Clip One (400g claimed).

Oenk

by Oenk

Check out the Schmolke Carbon:
120g-185g

nikh

by nikh

jeremyb wrote:I know of the Schmolke's but I cant rationalize to myself (or especially my gf) the expense.

Oenk - Jeremyb has already ruled those out.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

jeremyb

by jeremyb

marktickner wrote:The Profile Jammers and Spinaccis are not aerobars. They are grab on bars that the pros used to use before they were banned. Hardly anybody uses them any more. They dod not have any elbow pads and are pretty uncomfortable.

If you want a true aero bar for triathlons or time trials then the Schmolke are very lightweight indeed. Alternatively if cost is an issue then a carbon clip on like the Profile carbon x or the deda carbon clip on are an excellent cheaper option. A little heavier but still very lightweight.

Yeah, I know that the Spinaci's dont have pads, but the Sl's have a small strap on pad on them. Also, the Profile Carbon X is not a clip on, its an integrated bar. So obviously that wouldnt work.

let me bump the question about the weight of the Profile Sl's? Anyone know. I might just get a pair, give em a tweaking and see how light I can get them down to.

thanks for the input
this site rocks
jeremyb

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

BigFloppyLlama wrote:Would you happen to know the weight once cut? I'm looking to do some time trials and right now I've narrowed it down to the Syntace C2 (378g claimed), Visiontech Carbon Clip-On (390g claimed), Deda Clip Black (390g claimed), or the Deda Clip One (400g claimed).

I have a cut down 31.7 dia that is 254g, but I guess the 400g is a quote including pads.

I have another one on my TT bike, but I can't weigh it as it's got bar end shifters in it and I'm not taking them off! That one's cut down even more!

Usually you can get about 50mm or more off the 'back' of the extension and 25mm off each hand hold.

willf03

by willf03

I never thought that the weight of aero bars mattered. What matters of timetrials is adjustability and comfort, not weight!

staggerlee

by staggerlee

This IS weight weenies website - of course WEIGHT MATTERS!! DUH!!

bobalou

by bobalou

Both are valid points.. I'd like to find some lighter aerobars but it's only because I still want lightess for climbing. But willf03 is right, in a TT weight isn't as important. Give me an aerobar that weighs 1kg and I'll beat my time over a lighter bike every time. Even if the TT goes uphill (as long as it's not L'Alpe D'huez!).

staggerlee

by staggerlee

your missing the point

weight over performance = obsession

that's what it's about

bobalou

by bobalou

staggerlee wrote:your missing the point

weight over performance = obsession

that's what it's about

Not missing the point at all .. just a different point; In fact it's very possible to have lighter weight and BETTER performance. When it comes to aerobars and TT weight matters less, just a different point. Armstrong's TT bike weighs maybe 2kg more then his regular ride. Although, I think it will be interesting to see what he'll ride on L'alpe D'huez.

At any rate, I'd love to have a lighter set of aerobars. :D

jeremyb

by jeremyb

Yeah I just bought the Jammer SL's on Ebay and will be making some carbon components to hopefully lighten them and may make a carbon elbow rests to increase the comfort.

I'll post pics when im done
jeremyb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com