Aerolite pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Francois_viviers@hotmail.

by Francois_viviers@hotmail.

Have any of you ever tried these pedals, they are for sale again at the B-T-P site after dissapearing for years. 74 grams a pair, sounds like it good be good, but looking at the design I would rather approach with caution

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by guest

I would steer clear of those. There is a reason why they disappeared for years. They're good for bikes that hang on the wall, and that's about it.

roadbikeonly

by roadbikeonly

Say, guest, or anyone else, does anyone know the reason the pedals did disapear for years?

wally318

by wally318

In talking with Robin Goldfoos the owner of Aerolite, quite a few years ago they stopped advertising. They never diappeared at all, they were just smouldering in the background. He says there are about 100,000 pairs out there made, most of them made since 1986 or so. He says that 90 % of those that buy them are still using them. They are more awkward in setting up than say: Look that bolts directly to 3 mount bolts or for those those that don,t know much about pedals/shoes and their set-up. As far as any danger in use, I know of non. I train on quill(toe clip/strap) and TT/HC on aerolite's I find no problem's in switching back and forth. They are different than most commercially marketed pedals, but they are also the lightest by a long shot. The two main diferences are when you have to walk in your shoes It feels more awkward becuse the cleat is about 7/8 " tall , but you don't feel like you're going to fall over( people with longer feet have the advantage here) and entry/ exit. For entry you center the cleat slot over the pedal barrel and press down sharply. Depending on how tight you have the screws adjusted you may hve to assist by pulling up on the stem/seat or top tube. I've never experienced an unwanted release. Exit from the pedals is by rolling off. You cannot get off the same way you got on, you won't have the strength or control. Maybe a world class track sprinter might be able to pull staight up to get off. But for the rest of us it's roll( lift up the inside first and roll to the outside) It's not as awkward as it sounds and can be done just as fast as any other system. Remember that Look pedals were weird in 85-86' when they came out compared to quill pedals that were the norm for many decades.

xcandrew

by xcandrew

I used a set of steel spindled Aerolite pedals from around '87 through the early '90s - my college years and a bit beyond basically. I didn't have a car then and I used my bike for racing as well as all my transportation needs including grocery runs in running shoes with a loaded backpack and several plastic bags of food in hand, dangling from the bars (sometimes riding out of the saddle up steep hills back to my apartment). It's probably not the safest thing to ride those pedals with street shoes, but it's possible, and I did it all the time. I gashed a shin only once from slipping while riding unclipped through those years, and ironically, I was wearing my cycling shoes at the time. It happened in a standing start from a stop light. I did get questions about "where are the pedals" all the time back then, which I didn't mind.

They seemed like good racing pedals to me, but probably impractical for the kind of all around use that I gave them. Pluses: They are lightweight, impossible to accidentally unclip, simple, durable cleats (same cleats lasted the life of the pedal). Minuses: difficult to ride with using street shoes or unclipped, tall cleat makes walking awkward (but really no worse practically from other road cleats), can't service them, easily at least. Neutral: fixed position - no rotational float (except with worn bearings...). I didn't consider this a disadvantage because other pedals back then (quill with cleats, clips, straps or LOOK) didn't have float either except for the new at the time Time pedals. I still don't understand why it seemed like almost no one had problems with fixed position cleats back then, but rotational float is now hyped as an important feature.

The pedals finally died one ride when the outer sleeve of one pedal came off the spindle. I was still able to ride home by slipping the barrel sideways back onto the spindle and making sure not to put outward pressure on the way back. Inspecting the pedal afterwards, I noticed that the problem was the the locknut/cone came loose. Probably related to the wear in the bearings. I never serviced the things because there is no obvious way to get the end plug off to access the locknut/cone/bearings. I rode a lot and I rode them in all conditions... rain riding basically put a grinding paste of fine grit into the bearings, and the barrel got more and more play over the years. After seeing the innards, I realized that they probably could be serviced, but they were shot by then so I didn't care anymore. By the time they fell apart, I was no longer racing, so I put my original pedals/clips/straps back on and that's what still on that bike (I'm not really a weight weenie :shock: and I ride a 17 year old bike. But I'll be a frugal semi-weight weenie for my next bike).

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

I USED to ride on Sampson Stratics pedals as they were lightweight and had ADJUSTABLE rotational float. When Speedplay came out with adjustable float, I thought I might give it a try but alas, when the system of cleat and pedal is considered, Speedplay does not have a measurable advantage.

If I want to keep the bike light, I would recommend Keywin CRM's but the cleats are difficult to walk in compared to the Shimano 7800 style, my latest. As a system, the Shimano is hard to beat EXCEPT float is not adjustable.

These Aerolite pedals have NO float, are difficult to walk in and the cleat is prone to packing with dirt. Yes, this is an issue even with road riders.

wally318

by wally318

How do you know that the cleats pack with dirt? You've never used them. I've never had that problem any more than with any other cleat. Road bike equipment is made for use on the bike with no considerations for off bike as in MTB racing/riding. The few times you're off to fix a flat etc. is not a problem. As for the issue of float as XCANDREW put it befor LOOK pedals that was never an issue, why is it now? Are world class riders today any more wimpy than before 85-86? Merkx didn't have float. Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond were both there at the transition point and they weren't dramatically changed or better than before. The bottom line is apparent by now: the PEDALS work, and they are the LIGHTEST. For what thats worth you can take it or leave it.

Superlite

by Superlite

I USED to ride on Sampson Stratics pedals as they were lightweight and had ADJUSTABLE rotational float. When Speedplay came out with adjustable float, I thought I might give it a try but alas, when the system of cleat and pedal is considered, Speedplay does not have a measurable advantage.

If I want to keep the bike light, I would recommend Keywin CRM's but the cleats are difficult to walk in compared to the Shimano 7800 style, my latest. As a system, the Shimano is hard to beat EXCEPT float is not adjustable.

These Aerolite pedals have NO float, are difficult to walk in and the cleat is prone to packing with dirt. Yes, this is an issue even with road riders.

Ummm :roll: , you do know speedplays weigh only 150g for X/1's and 130g when tuned with my inserts? They are pretty much the choice of weight weenies, so why are you bashing them as heavy?

And I beleive the topic was on aerolites. :idea:

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Super....is that the weight of both the pedal and cleat. I think that was the point weisse was trying to make.

I have no clue what the weights of both pedal and cleat are....just trying clarify.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Yesw, throw in the cleats and Speedplay's are not much of an improvement. I have ridden them and do not like the wobbly platform compared to Sampsons. I'm sure Aerolites are rock stable but the design just doesn't offer me much security when dealing with gravel, walking after 100 miles and comfort from hotspots.

If I want to walk funny, I take Sampson Stratics at 285 grams for pedals AND cleats. Since I want comfort and the ability to walk normal, I will stick with my Shimano's at 320 grams all up weight.