Shimano Carbon Crank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zoey

by zoey

This does not look like the regular DA 7800 crank to me.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wally318

by wally318

I'd say by the look of it that it's been anodized or painted to a gun-metal colur. But you never know for sure, even carbon can be painted.

Johancoenen
Resident Pro

by Johancoenen

This is a normal crank I think, just reflection of the light.... :P :shock:
no pain no gain

Superlite

by Superlite

Oh come on! Shimano releasing a new crankset that is carbon? :roll:

I seriously doubt shimano will release a carbon crank anytime soon, the next total revision if your lucky.

Shimano specializes in alloys, and has been doing so since their conception. Don't hold your breath for a carbon crankset, cause you'll be holding it a lonnnng time. :wink:

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Looks EXACCTLY like the 2004 DA on the cover of the Late Spring catalog of Colorado Cyclist.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

It looks like it was black anodized. My brother was into that stuff for his cars. They black anodize it and then polish the anodizing. they called it black chrome.

C-40

by C-40

Superlite wrote:Oh come on! Shimano releasing a new crankset that is carbon? :roll:

I seriously doubt shimano will release a carbon crank anytime soon, the next total revision if your lucky.

Shimano specializes in alloys, and has been doing so since their conception. Don't hold your breath for a carbon crankset, cause you'll be holding it a lonnnng time. :wink:

Could have sworn they make carbon wheels........... but essentially Superlite is right- now Campy, that is another story..........

uphillisgood

by uphillisgood

popawheelie wrote:They black anodize it and then polish the anodizing. they called it black chrome.

The other way around -- polished like a mirror, and <B>then</B> anodized and colored and sealed (the 3 steps to do anodizing).

zoey

by zoey

:roll:
Last edited by zoey on Mon May 17, 2004 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

zoey

by zoey

I'd venture to say that is might be a prototype. A sponsered rider like Sanchez may get new Shimano parts to test. I agree it probaly is not carbon but I saw it and had to post it. :)
Cheers,

Superlite

by Superlite

I'd venture to say that is might be a prototype. A sponsered rider like Sanchez may get new Shimano parts to test. I agree it probaly is not carbon but I saw it and had to post it.

Oh come on!

First off, shimano will not make a carbon crank for a looong time.

Second, Armstrong would be the first to have it, not Sanchez.

Would be cool, but not happening.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

It was on a Felt in a local shop. Looked JUST like the one in the above photo, give or take a few shades on the center crank portion. But anodization does that...

Superlite

by Superlite

I doubt it was annodized, it's just the angle of reflection making it look darker.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Its anodized. Trust me. You can anodize aluminum in about any shade of the rainbow you want. Hard anodization is limited in colors but regular anodization with a capping of conversion coatings can make any surface finish you want.

Hard anodization is limited in colors but regular anodization can be made to be almost as durable as the hard stuff.

Superlite

by Superlite

Its anodized. Trust me. You can anodize aluminum in about any shade of the rainbow you want. Hard anodization is limited in colors but regular anodization with a capping of conversion coatings can make any surface finish you want.

Hard anodization is limited in colors but regular anodization can be made to be almost as durable as the hard stuff.

Trust you? No offnese, but have you actually seen this bike? :roll:

And dude, don't try to give me a lesson in annodizing, I use to work in a finishing plant, and I have several products I'm working on with various finishes.

The cranks are not annodized, it is just the way light is reflecting off the cranks. Having been around these cranks quite a bit you tend to notice they look darker, or lighter at different angle, but the same can be said about almost any metalic or polished finish.

Heres the crankset I had, looks just like the one in the photo, and every other 7800 I have seen.
Attachments
Dura Ace2.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com