Ruined my new Stronglight Pulsion crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

durarace

by durarace

I have about 10 rides on my new Pulsion Stronglight crank. After several rain rides I had a little creak going on so I thought I would pull off the cranks and BB and grease everything. While loosening the crank with the self extracting crank bolts, the bolt and self extracting assembly just ripped all the threads off the crank arm and fell off. Not only is the crank ruined, but I think the only way to get it off is the cut the BB spindle beween the crank and the frame. I bought the cranks on Ebay. Anyone know if I can warranty these and how? I live in California. Has this happened to you???? I tried to add a picture, but it weightweenies says my pic is too large, sorry

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

You can upload pica at tinypic.com for free and without registration. (big pics will be resized)
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

You may be able to get a small claw puller on it and get it off. Of course now that it's on, you can leave it on. If the puller works, you can always use that method if it means tossing the cranks.

cocoboots

by cocoboots

ebay is always a sticky situation with manufacturers. techincally, you need to purchase them through an authorized dealer. so, sorry to say, but it probably isn't going to be warrantied. i'd contact your local shop and find out if they work with J&B importers. Contact the local J&B rep. to see what he/she may say. they're the dist. for the cranks in america

iubike

by iubike

Why do you buy such an item on Ebay. Just support your local dealer, in the end it is so much cheaper.

K

durarace

by durarace

You are right. I think I may just add 160 grams and go with trouble free Dura ace. Man 160 grams sounds like hell.

grose tete

by grose tete

The only self extracting bolt that works well is Dura Ace 7700. FSA will end up like Stronglight.

theremery

by theremery

try not to panic about this. Have you heard of helicoils? Roughly you smooth the hole out by drilling /reaming (it'd be heaps easier with the crank off tho) then threading the crank...but "1 size up". The helicoil is like a spring that screws into THAT (new) thread created by the inside of the spring. I have never tried it with something as large as the crank extractor hole...but it should still work. Most engineering shops will have helicoils (or what ever the local equivalent is). The top quality ones are guaranteed to be as strong as the original thread I think. Talk to your local engineering workshops...but try a consult with real engineers here.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

durarace wrote:I have about 10 rides on my new Pulsion Stronglight crank. After several rain rides I had a little creak going on so I thought I would pull off the cranks and BB and grease everything. While loosening the crank with the self extracting crank bolts, the bolt and self extracting assembly just ripped all the threads off the crank arm and fell off. Not only is the crank ruined, but I think the only way to get it off is the cut the BB spindle beween the crank and the frame. I bought the cranks on Ebay. Anyone know if I can warranty these and how? I live in California. Has this happened to you???? I tried to add a picture, but it weightweenies says my pic is too large, sorry

this may be a silly question, but did you make sure to remove that black dust cap before trying to remove the bolt? you have to have a modified shimano dustcap remover to take it off, and only then you can remove the bolt.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

VAR makes (or made)a crank puller that leverages off the stays rather than pulling the arm off the BB. If you go to an older or well-established bike shop, they may have one in stock. Alternately, it can be pried off with a big bar, but that may ruin the frame. Last option: take the bolt out and ride it around until it loosens. This will wreck the arm, though.

You might be able to put in a helicoil, but crank extraction will be iffy in the future.

wogamax

by wogamax

Durarace,

Honest question: What torque did you use when installing the Pulsion crank on those splines?

This thread has me worried. I have a set of Stronglight Vulcans to put on. Does the dust cap unscrew counter clockwise, once those 180 degree opposing holes have the Shimano tool sunk into them? I couldn't figure out how to get it off when I was weighing my Vulcan compact (512gr, with cap/bolts). BTW, I went to the Park Tool site and didn't pickup what they meant regarding self-extraction, how to seperate the bolts from the crank, etc.

I know, call me stupid :?

Chris

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

wogamax wrote:Durarace,

Honest question: What torque did you use when installing the Pulsion crank on those splines?

This thread has me worried. I have a set of Stronglight Vulcans to put on. Does the dust cap unscrew counter clockwise, once those 180 degree opposing holes have the Shimano tool sunk into them? I couldn't figure out how to get it off when I was weighing my Vulcan compact (512gr, with cap/bolts). BTW, I went to the Park Tool site and didn't pickup what they meant regarding self-extraction, how to seperate the bolts from the crank, etc.

I know, call me stupid :?

yes dustcap must be removed counter clockwise. after that, remove bolts counterclockwise.

mike

Chris

lemmy999

by lemmy999

mike wrote:
durarace wrote:I have about 10 rides on my new Pulsion Stronglight crank. After several rain rides I had a little creak going on so I thought I would pull off the cranks and BB and grease everything. While loosening the crank with the self extracting crank bolts, the bolt and self extracting assembly just ripped all the threads off the crank arm and fell off. Not only is the crank ruined, but I think the only way to get it off is the cut the BB spindle beween the crank and the frame. I bought the cranks on Ebay. Anyone know if I can warranty these and how? I live in California. Has this happened to you???? I tried to add a picture, but it weightweenies says my pic is too large, sorry

this may be a silly question, but did you make sure to remove that black dust cap before trying to remove the bolt? you have to have a modified shimano dustcap remover to take it off, and only then you can remove the bolt.

I thought the cap WAS the self extractor. If you take that off, then the self extrating mechanism would not work and you would have to use a regular puller right?

durarace

by durarace

Wogamax,
As far as torque goes, I did a search on weightweenies and read in several threads that with ISIS BB you tighten until it bottoms out. That is what I did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlos

by carlos

iubike wrote:Why do you buy such an item on Ebay. Just support your local dealer, in the end it is so much cheaper.

K

we have to support our pockets :wink:

back on topic, aluminum self stractors bolts simple wont work. FSA sells aluminum self stracting bolts but they adversite not to use it, install the cranks with steel bolts, remove the bolts, put the aluminum ones. if you want to remove the cranks, remove the aluminum bolts, put the steel ones and remove the cranks. i know it sounds stupid but thats what they say about it.
Last edited by carlos on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey
ho
lets go!