zipp hub: good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

to the zipp complete wheel users out there!
i've seen a used zipp rear hub in 28 holes. since i took my tune hubs for the crono f20 wheels and 1 of my zipp hubs is damaged, i'm looking for a good 28 hole hub that is light and reliable. should i take this hub? since i have to use straight spokes there, it will probably be sapim cx ray.
the wheel will be used in cyclocross, would the hub take the pain? i know zipp is selling their cx wheelsets with special hubs, but this could also be marketing hype.
thanks for any input!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Is the hub different on the CX wheels? I thought it was just the pave rim. The hub should be OK, people have been using standard zipp wheels for CX for a while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

N.T

by N.T

those pave wheels are the same as the cx wheels
Fuelled by kofein

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

The Zipp cyclocross wheels use the Zipp hubs that use a standard flange and normal j-bend spokes. There is nothing wrong witht the zipp hubs and they are fairly light. The only thing that I don't like about them is they do not have any bearing adjustments.

mouse

by mouse

not trying to hijack or anything, but what is the quality of the older edco zipp hubs? i just checked the listings and it looks like it is probably over 300 grams. i did a google search and it looks like edco is owned by sapim. what can you guys tell me/confirm? i saw one on ebay and i want a light 32 spoke hub for a tubular rim i have, i just don't have much cash.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

mouse wrote:not trying to hijack or anything, but what is the quality of the older edco zipp hubs? i just checked the listings and it looks like it is probably over 300 grams. i did a google search and it looks like edco is owned by sapim. what can you guys tell me/confirm? i saw one on ebay and i want a light 32 spoke hub for a tubular rim i have, i just don't have much cash.

The older Zipp/Edco hus were decent hubs and the weight was around 250 grams. If you could pick up one cheap and could get straight pull spokes in the right length it would be worth doing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com