Swiss Stop - Black vs Yellow on Lightweights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Got Lightweights a month ago and they come with black swiss stop brake pads. I'm switching from shi*maNO to campagnolo and plan to get some new pads.. my question is.. when i see those pads for sale, the black appear to be for alloy rims vs the yellow being for carbon. Last time I checked, my LW's are carbon... what's the difference between black and yellow swiss stops?

grose tete

by grose tete

The black Swissstop comes wth the wheel is a modified yellow Swissstop. It has the Zlightweight logo on it.
Check thhis.
http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=1209

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Correct OEM lightweight pads are yellow swissstop, dyed black.

Aftermarket Swiss stop pads, yellow are carbon, black are alloy.

kingtom

by kingtom

excatly. for the lw's you should use the yellow swissstops or the black ones from lightweight. the black swissstop are made for alloy rims. not so god to use for carbon-rims.

grose tete

by grose tete

OEM lightweight pads are yellow swissstop, dyed black

Are they just dyed black or as Carbonsport has promoted as special mixture of compounds? Anyone has used both and notes the difference?

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Is there a price difference from the Yellow swiss and the LW black ones?

Boonen

by Boonen

The LW's are slightly more expensive. I believe the yellow Swisstops for campa are around 45 euro's here, the LW's are 49 in their own shop. Funny thing is that the Swisstops for shimano are only 30 euro's :noidea:
CarbonSports does say that there is a difference between the standard yellow pads and their own LW pads as the compound is designed to match the LW rims specifically.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

Hi everybody,
i already wanted to open topic about this.....
i have both, swissstop yellow and CS pads, in my hands right now and IMO the CS pads are harder than the swissstop yellows. I wonder :noidea:

sharkman

by sharkman

I ordered some black Koolstop for carbon rims. After my experience there is not much difference in the performance of both Koolstop and Swisstop pads. Koolstop for Campy should cost about 24 Euro's.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

KoolStop are superb. I use them in combination with my Reynolds Stratus wheels, but they wear extremely quickly. Sometimes a pair for my front brake, doesn't survive more than 3races.

mises

by mises

The Swiss Stop yellow and the LW are definitely a different compound. The yellow seems more rubbery.

The price difference between the campa and shimano versions mystifies me too. I decided to get the shimano ones and make them fit because they are so much cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com