light bike plan

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

compostbrain

by compostbrain

I've been thinking about running 10spd campy record right shifter and left brake lever(no frt der) with shimano da 9spd cas and rear der. In order to make this work i would use a jtek shiftmate. It seems this would be the lightest and most functional setup for cross. I know its kinda sacreligous to mix campy and shimano but the a da rear der is about half the price of record and the same weight, plus it seems 9 spd is better for cross. The shiftmate adds 13 grams, not too bad. Comments and suggestions??

Also the da crank/bb seems like the best cost to weight ratio.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Actually, Cost/weight/stiffness I would probably go with a KCNC BB/crank combo.

ndbike

by ndbike

plus it seems 9 spd is better for cross

Why do you have this opinion? I raced all season on a mix of Campy Centaur and Veloce 10spd and had absolutely no problems. Actually, it performed WAY better than the Ultegra 9spd stuff I had on the bike during the previous season. Also, just for extra info, I race in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US where there is plenty of mud to deal with.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I run 10 speed too with no problems. I have heard people who use a single ring set up (as I do) have better chainlines with 9 speed, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

i can understand your logic of going with the Campy upfront, and saving money on the rear derailleur going with DA. I've never used the shiftmate but have heard good things about it.

I agree with Dan on looking at the KCNC stuff, lighter than DA and cheaper.

The 7701 DA cranks are listed on WW as 613 grams

I just weighed the KCNC Silverbone RD1 cranks and they weigh 546 grams and depending where you shop are close to $200.

take care,
get it under 18 lbs and then send me a picture to post on my blog/gallery.

jeremy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

compostbrain

by compostbrain

i work at a bike shop so i can ep da stuff for a nice price. The 7800 is about 750 grams with the bb. I have a lot more faith in the longevity and durability of it also. The ones you mention sound interesting but harder for me to get and I don't have much info on longevity and durability.

I raced on 9spd Ultegra last fall and had very little issue with performance. We don't have a ton of mud here in the midwest however. Only two out ten races had rain and only one really muddy.