How come Ridley Noah's aren't popular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liquigas

by Liquigas

No one seems to have a noah or even a ridley, I know theres been complaining about the damocles frame but the noah frame is beautiful and has the intergrated seat post, why does no one like noahs or ridleys in general?

Crit Rat

by Crit Rat

Liquigas wrote:No one seems to have a noah or even a ridley, I know theres been complaining about the damocles frame but the noah frame is beautiful and has the intergrated seat post, why does no one like noahs or ridleys in general?

I agree the Noah is beautiful, I think it's mostly becuase they are pretty new. Supposedly they figured out the error that was leading to failure with some of the Damocles...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mzagorski

by mzagorski

I'd have gotten a Noah but a nightmare to travel with one with that integrated seat-post. LOOK nice.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

The Noah is nice piece of frame. I had the chance to see it in flesh at my friends place. amazing up close. love the shape of the tubes.

here are some pics of one with custom paint done by ridley at the factory.McEwen edition

and the one my friend has as a sample
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/vento95gl/Noah.jpg[/img][/img]

dbecks7

by dbecks7

[quote="ferrarista"]The Noah is nice piece of frame. I had the chance to see it in flesh at my friends place. amazing up close. love the shape of the tubes.

here are some pics of one with custom paint done by ridley at the factory.McEwen edition

thats beautiful wow, How much extra was it te get that paint scheme? What wheels are thoose?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

dbecks7 wrote:
ferrarista wrote:thats beautiful wow, How much extra was it te get that paint scheme? What wheels are thoose?

well that pic was taken from an italian ridley dealer. the wheels are from zefiro which is from Italy too.

you can get custom paint anything you want for like 150 euro extra .

ferrarista

by ferrarista

this is a damocles with custom made paint done by the same dealer. it would look so good on the noah too

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Liquigas wrote:No one seems to have a noah or even a ridley, I know theres been complaining about the damocles frame but the noah frame is beautiful and has the intergrated seat post, why does no one like noahs or ridleys in general?

Because Ridley just doesn't have a good reputation on their carbon frames. :? There have been issues with all their carbon framesets... and since Ridley is all over this country and in the peloton, most riders know about it and have seen some things. To me it's absolutely no difficulty to call the names of at least 5 riders that got a carbon Ridley replaced at least once. :cry: Some even surname the brand as "breakly".

Ridley wanted to sponsor Davitamon-Lotto with Damocles frames, but very soon riders asked for alu ones. Thus several riders rode alu frames in the spring classics last year, and even more riders did so this year... and suddenly Ridley gave them a black painted version for Paris-Roubaix? Why? Still to pretend the other alu ones in team colours are carbon frames? :noidea:

Same thing for Unibet.com:

(picture by brecht)

My team is Ridley sponsored... but luckily the bike sponsor isn't investing that much as in some bigger teams, so to some extent we have some choice. Thus I ride my Merckx bikes, a team mate has a Trek OCLV, another one has a Scott CR1 (and uses his team Ridley Scandium as a spare bike). No one in our team is on a carbon Ridley.

As for the Noah, the release of this frameset went less fast than wanted... They had some problems with the seat clamp. I mentioned this story in the "2006 pro equipment - road"-topic, of a guy who wanted a Noah in replacement of his 3rd Excalibur breach (!!):

I know a guy who ordered a Ridley. He answered me: "I ordered a Noah a few months ago and they would have delivered it this week, but he isn't their due to a problem with the seat clamp. I called Ridley myself, and got the confirmation that several frames have returned allready with a broken seatpin! Now they won't release any frame any more untill the problem is solved..." :?

(translation of: "mij enkele maanden geleden een noah besteld, en normaal zouden ze hem deze week leveren, maar hij is er niet door het feit dat er een probleem zou zijn met de zadelklem.
    Dan maar zelf gebeld met ridley, en de bevestiging gekregen dat er reeds enkele kaders teruggekeerd zijn met gebroken zadelpen. Nu lossen ze geen enkele kader meer zolang het probleem niet is opgelost
    ....")

He has the bike now. :wink:

Someone told me the pressure off the clamp on the seatpost part of the frame can't be an easy thing, since this seatpost isn't round but has the shape of a diamond.

I don't want to judge a bike to early (and when it comes the Damocles Ridley allways says to costumers when they give a replacement frameset: "the frameset is improved :roll: ), but if I would spend that amount of money on a frame, I'd rather go for something else. None of these frames are real weight weenies.

Boonen

by Boonen

ferrarista wrote:this is a damocles with custom made paint done by the same dealer. it would look so good on the noah too

Did they make this frame in anticipation of McEwen winning the world championships last year? I agree the australian paint Noah looks very nice :D (love how it says 'new bike' on the seatpost, lol)
I think you don't see many because there just aren't that many made yet plus they are quite expensive and Ridleys carbon reputation probably doesn't really help them either. Did they finally get back to their old frame makers again??

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Love those custom colored frames but personally I can't stand the puke, crap, gold color on the original. And as Casran said, it will take some time to sort out the frame issues on Ridleys part before I buy one.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Boonen wrote:
ferrarista wrote:Did they make this frame in anticipation of McEwen winning the world championships last year? I agree the australian paint Noah looks very nice :D (love how it says 'new bike' on the seatpost, lol)
I think you don't see many because there just aren't that many made yet plus they are quite expensive and Ridleys carbon reputation probably doesn't really help them either. Did they finally get back to their old frame makers again??

I don`t think so. that frame was made for a customer in Italy you can choose any color combination you want.

Compared to other euro brands , Ridley is not more expensive I find. Pretty competitive pricing at least here in North America.

I don`t know about europe ,but here I never heard of a frame breaking like you guys say. My friend is on his 3rd Ridley frame (compact-excalibur and now damocles) and he`s an aggresive rider. He really pushes hard his equipment. The excalibur he had was sold to a friend and is doing perfectly fine and its more than a year old and still gets pushed hard. the guy is happy. No problem with his damocles either. he loves it.

You can`t really know what really happened to a certain frame since we don`t know how it was built up or used. if it was abused etc.. some people like to torque bolts more than what is needed. anyone can say I heard they break etc... I also heard scott had alot problems with their cr1 breaking. Do I know for sure nop. i don`t know the details.

I understand that casran has alot of contacts since hes in belgium so has more access to live info than us so I don`t doubt him or the riders he talks to. I have no doubt that ridley has had problems with some of their carbon production ,but at least you can expect a great warranty service from Ridley no questions asked. they replace the frames quickly.

As part of why ridley was late this year i was told that the production din`t have enough carbon to build the frames aparently. I saw recently an article on pez about freddie rodriguez and he still rides a damocles. boh.

I hope they fixed their problems if they had lol because like i said over here i din`t hear anything of the frames that were sold and continue to be sold.

Emmanuel

by Emmanuel

I'm shocked. You've NEVER heard of ridley's breaking???? Must be a nice world you're living in. I live in the Netherlands, and break over here just as often as they do in Begium. I know of several junior riders who are sponsored by ridley that broke theirs pretty quickly (we're talking a couple of months, tops). After getting the carbon frames replaced several times, they finally decided to go alu, and since they're fine. However, i know a guy who has even had 2 alu ridleys crack, and although ridley wil replace the frames, a racer just can't afford to wait for a new frame in the middle of summer :? .

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Emmanuel wrote:I'm shocked. You've NEVER heard of ridley's breaking???? Must be a nice world you're living in. I live in the Netherlands, and break over here just as often as they do in Begium. I know of several junior riders who are sponsored by ridley that broke theirs pretty quickly (we're talking a couple of months, tops). After getting the carbon frames replaced several times, they finally decided to go alu, and since they're fine. However, i know a guy who has even had 2 alu ridleys crack, and although ridley wil replace the frames, a racer just can't afford to wait for a new frame in the middle of summer :? .

Don`t get me wrong I heard of those bad stories. Freddie and company in davitamon breaking some frames etc... I din`t say it wasn`t true. I just said here in NORTH AMERICA I din`t hear about a frame breaking to a customer.

Emmanuel

by Emmanuel

I didn't get you wrong :wink:
I just said i'm shocked that you (in NA) didn't hear the stories (or see the frames).

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Emmanuel wrote:I didn't get you wrong :wink:
I just said i'm shocked that you (in NA) didn't hear the stories (or see the frames).

ahhh ok. got ya :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com