Litespeed Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marktickner

by marktickner

Hi all
I'm new here and all the way from the UK. This site is pretty cool and happened to stumble upon it from a link serching for AX-Liteness components!

I have a fully built up '03 Litespeed Blade 55cm with deda carbon aero bars and dura ace 10 speed cranks, USE atom road stem, Easton carbon seatpost, carbon cages, campag carbon aero levers etc...
Everything is light and either made of carbon or titanium (apart from cables, casings, bolts etc...).
The whole bike inc. Spinnergy '04 Tillium carbon wheelset tips the scales at 20lbs.

What would you guys and girls (I'm assuming their may be girls here also!) work on to try to get the lightest and most aerodynamic bike set-up that is suitable for Ironman Triathlons and long time trials!

I appreciate this site seems to be catering for the road rider (which I am also... cat 3, racing with the Elites, 2's and 3's) but I would like to try to get a very lightweight Litespeed Blade that is perfect for Ironman triathlons... maybe sub 18lbs!?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

Can you post a full spec list, otherwise it's difficult to give some suggestions.

Ivan

by Ivan

And a pic too. Looks like a fairly nice bike so the less $$ can dream ... :D

nikh

by nikh

:welcome: aboard Mark.

I agree with the others a spec of the bike would be ideal.

Oh and we need pictures man!
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

marktickner

by marktickner

Hi guys
Thanks for your replies. I gotta go swim coaching now (I am the head coach for a large tri club) and will post a full spec on the bike and post a pic or 2 tomorrow (once I get it back from the bike store!).
Mark

benz76

by benz76

Since half of Ironmans are race on hilly and/or windy roads (France, Brazil, Spain, Hawaii, etc.) I'd suggest you a good range of wheels: aero (like Corimas or HED) for flatty courses, standard (Campy Neutron, Corima Winiums) for hilly/windy races...
Everything else doesn't matter: most important thing is your position on bike.
And I don't mean how much aero you are: the point is how much comfortable you feel on bike...
Obviously you can use different combinations of wheels (front standard, rear aero)...

This is what I've heard from my teammates, 6 of whom have been to World's in Hawaii (one of them finished 8th in his category, also 3 times finisher)...

Bye, Benz.

marktickner

by marktickner

Heres the spec for my Litespeed. I don't know how to accurately measure the exact weights but these are the manufacturers weights. Also a couple are guesses, like the cables, tyres etc... but can't be too far out.

Litespeed Blade Grms Lbs
Frame Weight 1560 3.44
Reynolds Ouzo Pro Carbon Forks 350 0.77
Cane Creek Aheadset 140 0.33
Spinergy '04 Carbon Tillium Clincher Wheelset 1400 3.09
Continental Grand Prix 3000 Tyres and tubes 400 0.88
Campag Carbon Aero Levers 210 0.46
Easton EC70 Seatpost 250mm 170 0.38
San Marco Tri Titanium Saddle 260 0.57
Deda Aerblack Carbon Tri Bars 699 1.54
Dura Ace 2004 Crankset (inc. bb) 740 1.63
Dura Ace '04 10 speed Rear mech 180 0.37
Dura Ace '04 Front Mech 74 0.16
Dura Ace '04 Narrow Chain 280 0.62
Dura Ace '04 10 speed 12-23 Titanium Cassette 173 0.38
Shimano Brake and Gear cables 250 0.55
Dura Ace bar end shifters 150 0.33
USE Atom Road Stem 70mm 120 0.26
USE Carbon Bottle Cages x 2 70 0.15
Campag Carbon Pro Fit Pedals 350 0.77

All in all as it is it comes to around 17 lbs on paper but was told by the bike store mechanic it's closer to 20 lbs. Where is the remainder 3 lbs from??

I will post some pics of the bike as soon as I get it back from the bike store. Hopefully tomorrow!

I have been racing road races for 8 years and triathlons for 13 years. Represented Great Britain on 3 occasions at the World Championships over short course and long course. Ironman is what I love as it truly is the first across the line that wins.
My bike is set up perfect for comfort and speed over long distances. I just want to now make my bike less weight without sacraficing this comfort.
Mark

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

You've got a good set-up. I personally wouldn't change much except for the wheels. Spinergy's aren't the lightest wheels around and I think they weigh more than the 1400 grams you have listed. I would suggest a good multi-use wheelset like the Reynolds Stratus DV-UL or Zipp 404 tubulars. I'm guessing that you could lose about 400+ grams by going with the Reynolds.

Other than that you could get a set of Zero Gravity brakes and take off another 100+ grams. You could also get some XLab Xlevers brake levers which weigh 177 grams. But I wouldn't sacrifice aerodynamics for weight. The bad thing about really aero bikes is that they weigh a little more than road bikes. The aerobars for example add a tremendous amount of weight to the bike but it's worth it since they are so aerodynamically efficient.

nikh

by nikh

Regarding the handlebars you might want to have a look at what Schmolke has to offer.

marktickner

by marktickner

Holy moly! That Schmolke stuff is beautiful and amazingly light! Never thought any manufacturer could get that light without sacraficing strength!

I may order some handlebars and seatpost!

marktickner

by marktickner

Heres a pic of the beast!
I think I might try to save up for the Tune Olympic wheels or maybe the Lightweights. Easy way to save 300g or so but certainly at a price!
Attachments
Litespeed 3.jpg
Litespeed 1.jpg
Litespeed 2.jpg

MantraPro

by MantraPro

Another saddle could save some weight and perhaps a Oval Concepts bar.
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/home/index.html

marktickner

by marktickner

The saddle has to stay! It's sooo comfortable for long distances in the aero position (50-120 miles!). All the other lightweight saddles are hardly the most comfortable for these types of rides. Comfort has to come first, lightweight second.

The Oval tri bars are indeed light but not as light as the deda set up. I searched high and low for a lightweight 'all in one' bar and the Deda seemed to be the lightest.
A road handlebar and clip on tri bar can be lighter but doesnt look the part on the Litespeed. I mean it's gotta look good hasn't it at this price end of the market!?

What is this SRP bolt kit you all talk about? Can you use it on the Dura Ace brakes I have?
Where can I buy lightweight bolts for every other part of my bike?
Are there any shops the UK that sell this type of stuff?

Mark

nikh

by nikh

marktickner wrote:What is this SRP bolt kit you all talk about? Can you use it on the Dura Ace brakes I have?
Where can I buy lightweight bolts for every other part of my bike?
Are there any shops the UK that sell this type of stuff?

You can find a couple of shops in the UK that sell ti/alu bolts in the WW Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

For bolt tuning you can refer to Nino's bolt tuning guide.

Joel

by Joel

Take a look at the SRP site for the SRP kit http://www.bikepro.com/products/srp/srp.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com