New Frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zoey

by zoey

I've narrowed my search down to the following frames. All carbon all under 1000g. I've listed them one thru five in the order of my preference at this time.

1. Calfee Dragon Fly Nude
2. Storck 0.9 (Rare)
3. Scott CR1 (I hate the big ulgy SCOTT stickers)
4. Giant TCR Composite
5. Fondriest Top (4800USD OUCH!!) :roll:

Did I miss any? Comments?

Cheers,
:lol:

divve

by divve

Fondriest Lex is nicer than the Top if you ask me :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oenk

by Oenk

A few months ago de German Magazin Tour tested 20 carbon frames. The Scott CR-1 Pro was tested best with 64 points, the Storck C 1.1 had 58 points and the Calfee was among the worst frames with only 52 points.

The Calfee is very light, but it isn't stiff.

STW (stiffnesst to weight):

CR-1: 88
C 1.1: 67
Dragonfly Pro: 56

zoey

by zoey

Oenk wrote:A few months ago de German Magazin Tour tested 20 carbon frames. The Scott CR-1 Pro was tested best with 64 points, the Storck C 1.1 had 58 points and the Calfee was among the worst frames with only 52 points.

Thanks for the info. Was this article online? If so do you have the URL?

One more question. Can the Scott stickers be easily removed? ie do they have a clearcoat over them? Anyone with a Scott CR1??

Oenk

by Oenk

zoey wrote:
Oenk wrote:A few months ago de German Magazin Tour tested 20 carbon frames. The Scott CR-1 Pro was tested best with 64 points, the Storck C 1.1 had 58 points and the Calfee was among the worst frames with only 52 points.

Thanks for the info. Was this article online? If so do you have the URL?

One more question. Can the Scott stickers be easily removed? ie do they have a clearcoat over them? Anyone with a Scott CR1??

It's not online I think.
And that's a good question about the Scott stickers, because they are damn ugly!

spytech

by spytech

what were the other frames tested, do you remember or know the score the other bikes got :?:

Oenk

by Oenk

Hear the list of frames with weight, price and points.
Attachments
Tour Carbon0004.JPG

zoey

by zoey

Thanks for the info Oenk :thumbup: I'm now leaning toward the Scott. I had already heard several issues with the DFly frame. Because I live in California the Calfee is a easy choice due to availability and ease of warranty. I see Starbike has the CR1 Team in my size (L) in stock as well as the Superlite fork to match :twisted:

Now the question is... Does anyone have pictures of the CR1 Team frame with the stickers removed :?:

Cheers,

cadence90

by cadence90

You seem to be considering only the top model of each line.
An acquaintance racer who works in a LBS, and is very light, has owned Calfee Luna, Tetra, Dragonfly. He eventually sold the Dragonfly and bought a Tetra again, as he prefers the stiffness. He's now keeping the Tetra and buying an Orbea Orca, to test that out.

Same with Storck C.0.9 vs. C.1.1, I hear.

So, it maybe shouldn't be only about the frame weight, if you're also concerned with stiffness....

As far as Scott stickers, yes they're gaudy but the ones coming to the US look nicer to me, not yellow at least.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1893
If you want I can email you the larger photo Scott sent me.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

cadence90

by cadence90

zoey wrote:[snip] I see Starbike has the CR1 Team in my size (L) in stock as well as the Superlite fork to match :twisted:
Cheers,

Obviously, I would not want to take away from the sponsor of this forum, at all, but if you email Scott and get on the US list for delivery (but out to September for frame only) you might have better warranty coverage? Or not?
I don't know, I guess the first thing is to ask Starbike what the price is ($US with IVA excluded) + shipping + delivery time + warranty info.
Good luck, nice frame. :!:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

veldt01

by veldt01

First: No you can't remove the tranfers on a Scott frame. They are under clearcoate and believe me you wouldn't want to sandpaper a sub 1000 gramm frame.

Second: If you don't like the team issue, buy the pro and sell the utegra parts/fork and build the bike with your own specs.

If you don't like the Scott, go for the 2005 Storck C1.1, It will be stiffer (better!!) than the current 2004 one.
The Storck which is made in china is almost similar to the Scott (200 gramms hevier but cheaper) and the only weakness is its stiffness.
The new 2005 frames will be reinforced (the xl already is) which means they will a better match for the Scott.
P.s. the only strong point of the current Storck 1.1 (I own both) is the better finishing quality overall the Scott builts a much better bike.

zoey

by zoey

What about the Top Line? I don't see many articles or posts of riders that own one. Why are they charging so much $$$ for it?

Some past bikes I have spent some time on and or owned are:

1. Tetra Pro (Test Rode)
2. C40 pre HP (own)
3. Kestrel 200EMS (Sold)
4. Trek 5500 (Test rode)
5. Merlin Extralight (Own)

Cheers,

Oenk

by Oenk

If you want a real cool Carbon frame.
Check out Spin!!

http://www.spin-system.de/

It'll cost you some $$$, but you'll have a great bike!!

spytech

by spytech

looks pretty good, a stw ratio of 100nm/kg thats great. at 930g it is a very light frame. lets see what the new giant tcr advance brings to the table.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zoey

by zoey

divve wrote:Fondriest Lex is nicer than the Top if you ask me :)

Divve do you have a Lex? Any pics :?:
Cheers,

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.