Hi, I'm drjones96 (updated 12-10-06)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

drjones96

by drjones96

Hi, I'm drjones96. I'm not really a dr but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night :) I'm not really new here. Hell, I'm in the top 10 in the total number of postings but I just thought I'd throw this out there in case you were interested.

Current Location: Fort Worth, TX USA

Bike: I ride a Cannondale CAAD4 frame with hand selected parts. I bought the bike brand new in 2001 and have modified it over time.

Frame: 2001 Cannondale CAAD4 60cm
Seatpost Binder: CODA (only other original part aside from frame)
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
Saddle: Selle Itailia Flight
Fork: Easton EC90SL (Custom Painted)
Headset: Chris King 1 1/8 No Thread Set
Top Cap: Easton Compression Cap
Pedals: Look 396 (Upgrading soon)
Bottle Cages: RavX BetaX
Headset Spacers: Carbon
Bar: Easton EC90 OS Bar 42cm
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 120mm
Bar Tabe: Douglas Faux Carbon Bar Tape
Barends: Stella Azzurra’s Carbon Bar Plugs
Brakes: Dura Ace 7800
Brake/Shift Levers: Dura Ace 7800
Front Derailleur: Dura Ace 7800 1 1/8 clamp
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7800
Cassette: Dura Ace 7800 11-23
Chain: KMC X10SL
Cables and Housing: Dura Ace 7800
Crankset: FSA Superlight 175mm (Soon to be Zero Gravity Boxer)
Bottom Bracket: Dura Ace 7700 (Soon to be Zero Gravity Boxer)
Wheels: Rolf Vigor
Skewers: Rolf Skewers
Tires: Continental Grand Prix 3000 23mm (GP4000's next)
Tubes: Continental Race 700 Lite

Weight is just a tick over 17lbs. Not light but a solid build.

Ride: I'm really just a recreational rider. I do organized rides on the weekends when they come up and when they don't I still go out and ride 100K or more. I'm considering racing in the not so distant future though.

Home Town: For the first 24 years (I also count the college years in there) I lived in one house in Poplar Bluff, MO.

Education: I graduated with a BS degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Missouri-Rolla in 2002. While there I studied propulsion systems as a specialty. In my spare time I was the Team Leader for the Human Powered Vehicle team. This is where my passion for Road Cycling began. Prior to this I wasn't very interested in bikes at all accept in my youth when I rode BMX. I was also on the SAE Heavy Lift Team and was somewhat involved with the Formula SAE racecar.

Employment: Directly following graduation I began work at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics here in Fort Worth. I work on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter as an Installed Propulsion Performance Engineer. While in college I did an Intership at The Boeing Company in Wichita, KS.

Family: I've been married for 3 1/2 years. My wife and I have 2 beautiful girls (Edit :lol: ) and one boy; 8yrs, 2yrs and >1yrs respectively. And we're expecting another one in August. Our oldest is actually my wife's child from a previous marriage but I still claim her...especially on the tax forms :)...j/k.

Pictured Below:

001: Me and my beautiful bride. The car was built by my Dad for a friend of the family. That was one of my hobbies growing up.

002: This is at the start of a Rally/Race in Cleburne, TX near my home. I'm the guy in the yellow USPS jersey near the middle.

003: This was at the end of the Hotter N' Hell 100. It was my first 100 mile ride. The funny part about this pic is that at mile 98 these random guys set up their own rest stop called the "Outlaw 98 Stop". They were handing out free Bud Lights to riders passing by. So naturally I took one and chugged it in the last few miles of the ride and stuck the can in my back pocket. As I approached the line I saw the event photographers there and I grabbed the can out of my pocket, turned it lable side out, and yelled "Woooo Hoooo"....LMAO

004: My Bike (the red one)

....after I swapped frames

005: This is a cartoon of my airplane taking off from our facility in Fort Worth. If you look closely you can see the building I work in :)

006: This is the 2002 HPV. We swept the East Coast competition with it. I designed this one myself. It's a 3 wheel design and has a full carbon epoxy composite fairing. We hit 43mph in the men's sprint event and 36mph in the women's! And then we went on to win the Endurance event on a crit-like course by 1.5 laps.

007: This is the SAE Heavy lift Plane with my design team. We won first place in the design portion of the event and finished 8th overall. We had a successful flight with a 14 lb load and then took off and flew with a 21 lb load but got DQ'd for overshooting the landing zone. Then took off with 18 lbs and had a failure with the throttle control resulting in a crash.

008: Me teaching our oldest how to ride a bike w/o training wheels at 6 yrs.

009: Family Dog Annie in her St. Patrick's Day uniform. She's half Shi Tzu and Half Palmeranian but she's 100% bitch.

010: This is my 2yr old. Mean as a snake, eats like a horse, loves to laugh, has way more energy than is required.

011: My new Baby boy. drjones96_jr Born 8/22/2006

012: My Kids :D Aren't they cute?
Last edited by drjones96 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:16 am, edited 11 times in total.

flying

by flying

very nice post drjones!
Cool pics too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

flying wrote:very nice post drjones!
Cool pics too

FelixOr

by FelixOr

yep, very cool post indeed :)
it's nice to read so much about a person. It kinda gives you the feeling of knowing who's behind the username.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

drjones96

by drjones96

Here is a publicly releaseable photo of My propulsion team standing in front of AA-1 F-35 Flight Test Aircraft. It's scheduled first flight is in the 4th Quarter this year. This photo was taken just before Roll Out. It still has to go through lots of ground testing and still has to be painted and rivets filled...yadda yadda.

I'm in the back row on the far left in a blue sweater with white stripe.
Attachments
JSF Propulsion Team75%.jpg

Ripley451

by Ripley451

How the heck will the test pilot fly that thing if he can't see where he is going? :doh: Stick with the Harrier, you know the 'old country' was right :lol:
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

drjones96

by drjones96

Ripley451 wrote:How the heck will the test pilot fly that thing if he can't see where he is going? :doh: Stick with the Harrier, you know the 'old country' was right :lol:

LOL....I made the same joke when they put the canopy on :lol:

The mission systems going on this airplane are nothing short of amazing. It's like a video game that you fly.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

I know, a russian visitor told me :wink:

What will the main diffences be between that and the Harrier, speed aside?

drjones96

by drjones96

Of course there is the aspect of Low Observability but in addition to that the mission systems are amazing. The pilot workload in Hover mode is reduced greatly. The aiplane is practically self stabilizing in Hover compared to the Harrier that can and will go wildly out of control if you let it get away from you. It will have a higher combat radius (ie more range) and accomodation for more advanced weapons; the latest in Air to Air missiles and precision guided bombs. And it can carry them internally in the fuselage to 1) reduce drag and 2) decrease observability. Also it's logistically superior to the Harrier. Ever seen how they change engines in one of those? It's crazy! I wouldn't be surprised if there were deaths related to that or at least 'Loss of Aircraft' due to inadvertanatly dropping the engine on top of the airplane.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

As long as its not deaths caused by the USAF shooting their allies because they can't see out of the canopy :lol: Hopefully the russians will steal the designs and sort that out :lol:

snips

by snips

Whats the speed with one of those babies? And whats the powerplant?
Btw...am not a russian, just have an interest in all things aeronautical! Comes from great grand-dad teaching Amy Johnson to fly and grand-dad being chief tutor at Empire test pilot school here in the UK back in the 50's...

drjones96

by drjones96

Originally the JSF was a Mach 1.8 plane but after actual usage and aerodynamic analysis they backed it off to Mach 1.6. This speed is achievable at altitudes above 25000 ft.

In the lower right hand corner they have a 700 knots calibrated airspeed limit. STOVL variant has a 630 knots calibrated airspeed limit. At sea level that translates to Mach 1.05; Mach 0.95 for STOVL.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

What does it weigh?
Do you have a pic of it on the scales?
Do we get to see a component list?
And why aren't you asking us where it can loose weight? :doh: :lol:
Last edited by Ripley451 on Mon May 15, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjones96

by drjones96

Ripley451 wrote:What does it weigh?
Do you have a pic of it on the scales?
Do we get to see a component list?
And why are you asking us where it can loose weight? :doh: :lol:

Aircraft empty mass is about 30,000 lbs.

I don't have a picture of the airplane on scales but I do believe they will weigh it when it's completely done.

You don't want to see a component list.

Hey if you could tell me how to drop some weight out of this airplane there may be a cut for you. I think they're offering $500/lb. The problem is I'm in no possition to be able to tell them how to cut weight. I know engine performance....and that's about it....Lockheed doesn't make the engines.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

Those wheels look pretty heavy, perhaps 20 spokes LW's? That should save a few kg's. 0G brakes with Powercordz. Garmin 305 gps unit instead of whatever is in.....this is easy and I reckon I've just earnt around $345,000 :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com